• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

report contains results of quarterly sampling as well as extremes and averages from 1995 until the present. This was the most recent report I could easily find archived. I am aware of them going to at least #146 delivered 1 April 2021 but cannot find the actual report although it is mentioned in an NIH report. The linked report will give you the gist, percentages are in % by weight
    So it is by weight, not some other form of "baseline" so my statement stands and is not a non sequitur. That's all you had to say, just admit that you were incorrect.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There is no baseline. The "thc" levels on flower tests are percentage of thcA vs the total weight of the sample.
    Did you see the discussion of 'ditchweed', specifically that it was 1% or less and the CBD content equalled or exceeded the THC content? I took that to be the baseline, or else why include that discussion

Did you also note that there were outliers but that the average content had only increased from just under 4 to just under 17. I have to believe when I see talk of 70%, they are talking percent increase, for example going from 9% to 15.3%. There were very few samples much over 30% and none more than slightly over 50% (and those were distillates)

You were dead on though about it being % by weight. I find that counterintuitive given that much of the weight of the sample seems like it would have to be structural proteins for cell walls and other leaf structures. The upper limit on concentration may in fact be set by how much structure is necessary for the bud to grow and mature [speculation on my part]

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Did you see the discussion of 'ditchweed', specifically that it was 1% or less and the CBD content equalled or exceeded the THC content? I took that to be the baseline, or else why include that discussion

Did you also note that there were outliers but that the average content had only increased from just under 4 to just under 17. I have to believe when I see talk of 70%, they are talking percent increase, for example going from 9% to 15.3%. There were very few samples much over 30% and none more than slightly over 50% (and those were distillates)

You were dead on though about it being % by weight. I find that counterintuitive given that much of the weight of the sample seems like it would have to be structural proteins for cell walls and other leaf structures. The upper limit on concentration may in fact be set by how much structure is necessary for the bud to grow and mature [speculation on my part]
    Regarding ditch weed, Charlotte's web would be considered ditch weed under their definitions. And it most definitely isn't ditch weed. Why include it? Because they could? Or perhaps because of places like the county next to me where it literally grows wild in the ditches? Newton Co to be exact, it is very low grade wild growing cannabis. It was originally grown as a source of hemp fiber for rope and other things in WW11, they imported seed by the trainload. Ditch weed in my youth was used to describe low THC weed.

Yes, I don't think anyone is disputing that average THC levels have increased, there is dispute over how much. I've seen claims of a 20x increase. I don't believe that. And no when they are talking 70% it is generally in the same measurement standards, but yes they are talking distillates or other refined substances.

I thought similar as well, how can some strains claim to produce 30% give or take, but it seems that they can. With exacting growing conditions among other things. But look at peppers, the Carolina reaper is able to reach x amount of scoville units, how many home gardeners will achieve anything close to that?

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I thought similar as well, how can some strains claim to produce 30% give or take, but it seems that they can. With exacting growing conditions among other things. But look at peppers, the Carolina reaper is able to reach x amount of scoville units, how many home gardeners will achieve anything close to that?
    If you've got the right seeds, you can grow the X scoville unit pepper and no one will be able tell if it's +/- 15% without analyzing a sample.

Growing is easy. The real talent is a gardener's ability to to cross breed the right peppers to get something that's even hotter.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    To be fair to the antis, there is some discussion in the colorado mj industry about the possible relationship between concentrates and schizo.

The discussion usually centers around the question of what effects the high thc loads have on some types of broken folks as well as well as residual solvents.

My suspicion is that broken people are seeking comfort in the plant, rather than normal folks being broken by the plant, but just my guess.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    To be fair to the antis, there is some discussion in the colorado mj industry about the possible relationship between concentrates and schizo.

The discussion usually centers around the question of what effects the high thc loads have on some types of broken folks as well as well as residual solvents.

My suspicion is that broken people are seeking comfort in the plant, rather than normal folks being broken by the plant, but just my guess.
    There is a known correlation between heavy adolescent use and schizophrenia. Earlier onset and just in general. By heavy they are not referring to THC content but frequency. There is also a correlation between schizophrenia and other substance abuse disorders alcohol/meth/etc. That would be my guess as well, comfort or self medication. Or perhaps since it's known that addiction can also have a genetic component, that the genetics that drive one drive the other as well. Then there is a social environment link as well, as an example childhood sexual abuse is also linked to both schizophrenia and substance abuse. And there are others as well.

Here is a study regarding the link between alcoholism and schizophrenia.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I don't think that many people think that those who suffer psychotic breaks were not damaged in the first place, nor think everyone should be denied their fix

I would think that anyone already on SSRIs and/or anti-depressants should be discouraged from coterminous indulgence

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    There is a known correlation between heavy adolescent use and schizophrenia. Earlier onset and just in general. By heavy they are not referring to THC content but frequency.

No.

Some discussions around this very specifically center around the effects of high thc concentrates on schizo.

The colorado MJ enforcement division steering comittee is kicking this topic around right now.

Top Bottom