• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    There is NO reason for anyone to be anywhere down range while the range is hot.
    "Except for a really good photo!" she exclaimed sarcastically.
    I've still been down range setting targets when the range was called "hot".
    NOT a good feeling.
    I've been on the muzzle side of a negligent discharge. VERY NOT a good feeling.
    Anyone who puts themselves in these situations WILLINGLY/KNOWINGLY is, in my opinion, dumber than a box of rocks. As are those who aid them in their pursuit of stupidity.

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Jay, to Gunsite's credit, the story does say that the student who was shot was not to be on the catwalk.

I want to know what the Rangemaster and ROs were doing?

Gunsite is on a run of horrific accidents. You would think everyone out there would be squared away.

I could only really find an accident in 2004 (not really involving them). What type of other stuff has happened?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Who ever has a gun in his/her hand is responsible for the direction of the projectile.

GUN SAFETY 101...... !!!

It's still my logic, and I STILL dont' care if anyone agrees with it or not...

And thanks, but I still don't need an interpreter. :cool:

i'm with you Jay...you should always know you target....i don't care if ANYONE agrees with me or not!!!!!!

the stupid f%$K with the gun is to blame.....like i said target?...human?....you should know the difference....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm curious to know more details about how this actually happened.

If the guy was on a catwalk, I assume the catwalk was elevated about the ground (thus the term catwalk). The catwalk is there to observe people in the shoothouse, but to be above their lines of fire so you don't get shot.

Why would the shooter point his weapon upward at all? Have they placed targets on the catwalk before? (which would take the stupid to a new level)? Why would the shooter think a valid threat target would possibly be located up there?

???

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    rhino, you know how people get scope locked on shooting everything in a shoot house (it's all just cardboard)? Well, here it is with real consequences.

People think the Four Rules do not apply to them in certain situations, in a shoot house for example, or because they are ubertacticool cats.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC(Ret.) owned it, I do not remember any accidental shootings, (negligent), but I guess all that Marine training,

You are not counting the leg shots during original Orange Gunsite?

Wow, Marines are tough!:D

"You just shot yourself in the leg. Walk it off, numbnuts!"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, clearly we see the need for competent adult supervision when someone is engaged in a scenario in a shoothouse, regardless of their experience level.

I have trouble believing that Gunsite is the only place where such things have happened. With all of the shoothouses in America operated various police departments, I'll bet the number of negligent injuries would surprise us.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    The guy pulling the trigger is ultimately responsible...but who in the heck is stupid enough to be down range when it's hot, or if was called hot while he was down there, who was stupid enough to do that! Maybe Gunsite needs new instructors.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i was watchin' "Shooting Gallery " last night and they was at Gunsite....they have a indoor trainin' rooms without a ceiling and that in a normal building would be @ 8' and theres a catwalk on top of the walls.....not for sure but i think this is where it happen.....i think the shooter came in the room and looked up seen a figure and pulled the trigger...:twocents:

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    That's interesting. I'd bet a beer the guy on the catwalk was videoing or taking pics of his buddies.

I'm not a instructor; however anyone being down range from live fire, even if you are above the shooter, doesn't work for me.

i was watchin' "Shooting Gallery " last night and they was at Gunsite....they have a indoor trainin' rooms without a ceiling and that in a normal building would be @ 8' and theres a catwalk on top of the walls.....not for sure but i think this is where it happen.....i think the shooter came in the room and looked up seen a figure and pulled the trigger...:twocents:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Press release from the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office:

May 6, 2010

Man Unintentionally Shot during Training Exercise at Gunsite Academy

On May 02, 2010, at approximately 10:15 A.M., Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office deputies were dispatched to the Gunsite Academy in Paulden, Arizona, to assist Central Yavapai Fire Department (CYFD) with a shooting victim. Deputies learned that a 50-year-old Florida man had been unintentionally shot during a routine training exercise. The training course, which began earlier in the week, involved the victim and three of his colleagues.

The prior evening, this group went through night shoot training and was then provided instructions for the next day’s training scenarios. The Sunday training included a live fire course involving various shoot/don’t shoot scenarios.

On Sunday, the victim had just completed his indoor shooting scenario and was standing on a “catwalk” above the training area to observe his colleague. The next student entered the room and fired two rounds into a target. As the student prepared to engage the next target, he noticed a black silhouette in his field of view and fired a round. The silhouette was actually his colleague who was watching the training exercises from the “cat walk.” The “catwalk” area is designated by a red line and students are told not to engage anything above the line. The round struck the man in the abdomen. The round was a frangible bullet type used to avoid ricochets.

Gunsite instructors began first aid and notified CYFD, who in turn, contacted YCSO. The victim was eventually transported by helicopter to John C. Lincoln Hospital for treatment and surgery. His current condition is listed as good. No charges are expected against the student.

Gunsite has fully cooperated with YCSO during the investigation. Gunsite Operations Manager Ed Head said, “This is the first accident of this nature in Gunsite's 34 years of business.”

Top Bottom