Another gun dropping from a Holster in Columbus and going off...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    What happens if you are leisurely shopping in Walmart and a shot rings out? You secure your, now crying, child with your weak hand while drawing to face the threat. It registers in your head that your child was grazed as you put the front sight on this irresponsible imbecile picking up his gun from the floor. What do you do?

index.php

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't use my slide stop to drop the slide. But I do "sling shot" it with my hand. Does this cause damage to the pistol? I have gotten in the habit of not riding the slide so I am sure the gun gets into battery so I naturally do this when practicing dry to.

I have had it beat into my warped little mind from pre-teen to never drop the slide on an empty chamber at least with a 1911. I ride the slide if not loading the gun. Just a habit I have had since 12 years old.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I have had it beat into my warped little mind from pre-teen to never drop the slide on an empty chamber at least with a 1911. I ride the slide if not loading the gun. Just a habit I have had since 12 years old.

I adnt heard this until now. I was always under the impression that it was designed to do this and wouldn't hurt it. :dunno:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This morning's Columbus paper says the gun did not fall out of the holster, the holster fell out of his waist band. Sounds like one of those loopless holsters.
    Precisely why I can't get on board with the Remora pushers.... They've found a way to make cheap floppy holsters even less safe by not securing them to anything.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Precisely why I can't get on board with the Remora pushers.... They've found a way to make cheap floppy holsters even less safe by not securing them to anything.

I have a couple sticky holsters. Similar to the remora. They work well for nightstand guns or as a way to cover the gun in the range bag.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    This morning's Columbus paper says it was not a .22 but a Titan .25. The owner stated the safty was on so it must have fallen on the hammer. No charges are to be filed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This morning's Columbus paper says it was not a .22 but a Titan .25. The owner stated the safty was on so it must have fallen on the hammer. No charges are to be filed.

I am familiar with those pistols. I am not familiar enough to know how the internal's work or how drop safe they are. Obviously they are inexpensive and apparently not drop safe. It is unfortunate, everybody should have access to affordable firearms for self defense. At the same time everybody has the obligation to use safe equipment.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    A friend had me love on his RIA 1911. I was showing him one of my Springers and handed it to him with the slide locked open. He dropped the slide off the slide stop on an empty chamber. He just could not understand why I was a bit miffed.
    Educate me. What's wrong with slamming slide shut on empty chamber? I don't honestly know. Thanks!

whoops. Looks like it's been covered already

Last edited:
    Top Bottom