Another gun dropping from a Holster in Columbus and going off...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Yea. No where in the constitution does it say a dumb person can't have a gun. I wouldn't want this person carrying around me in this fashion either ..

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not a "drop" story but entertaining; In Menards yesterday afternoon wearing my "This is My gun Permit" t-shirt which has a rendition of the constitution on it, poorly concealing the 24/7 in .45 underneath it. When I checked out the cashier commented, "Nice Shirt" and started telling me about the pistol she was going to buy her hubbie for his birthday. In our **** chat during which I completed checking out the lady behind butts in and says to the cashier that she supposed it didn't bother the cashier the fact that I was carrying a "gun". Cashier just smiled, winked at me and said to nosy lady, "Not at all, would you like to see mine"?

I had to walk away to keep from laughing in busy bodies face. I hope the cashier didn't end up getting in any trouble!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a few Kydex holsters for my range guns. They hold the guns in fine but I suspect that under the right circumstances a gun could come out. If it was upside down and someone shook it violently and it was oily, it might just slip out.

My carry holster is a N82. It won't come out no matter how hard you shake it. I doubt someone could pull the pistol out of the holster if they came up to me and tried. This is because of the design of the holster, the size of the pistol and where on my body I carry it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It's called a cheap holster. When I first carried I had a nylon IWB holster. I loosened my pants to tuck my shirt and the holster flipped upside down and my Glock fell out. I was so new I did not have one in the chamber. Soon after I got a real holster and carried +1.

This experience illustrates a good point and that is not only do you need a holster but also a suitable belt. Even a floppy holster on a good belt will likely stay in place. I know it is tough for people to shell out coin for holsters and belts. Been there myself.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    This experience illustrates a good point and that is not only do you need a holster but also a suitable belt. Even a floppy holster on a good belt will likely stay in place. I know it is tough for people to shell out coin for holsters and belts. Been there myself.

After going through my "floppy holster" phase as a newer firearms owner, I became educated in the options available to non-LEOs to help secure and hide an EDC. I continue to try and educate others who either don't know or don't care. My main argument is that they spent how much to own it, why skimp on everything that helps keep it ready to use?

Like I said, I needed my education, too...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Floppy holster phase seems to be common. Only difference is we got lucky that nothing happened.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have one of those Uncle holsters too but it is used for when my EDC is on the nightstand. I use a proper leather holster for daily carry. Even that is starting to loosen up a bit, so I have purchased another from a fellow INGO member. Just awaiting it's arrival!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I see that it was a .22, but I am still wondering what model gun it was. I have an experience with a .22 discharging, It was an Armalite AR-7 rifle. My brother dropped his AR-7 and it went off! I searched out the shell and inspected it closely, there was no sign of any firing pin strike. I inspected every part of that rifle and it was perfect. We had to conclude that being a rim-fire, the shock of striking a concrete floor was conducted through the chamber into the primer/rim of the cartridge with enough energy to ignite it.

At any rate it did indeed go off without touching the trigger or even the firing pin for that matter! The shell was without even the tiniest mark on it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They call them Uncle Mike's sausage sacks for a reason.

Pistol in sausage sack. Bends over, love handle pushes out pistol=yet another Wal-Mart causalty.

Lesson learned=stop wearing crappy gear. Guys pay 10K for a pistol but go to Hill of Geese for a sausage sack. Jeez, you guys!

Most modern guns have firing pin blocks. Are there really that many people carrying guns that don't have them?

ALL guns can go boom when fingers are not on triggers.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Way to many people don't know how to quit being idiots.

I was at a birthday party today (mom is a daughter of a former babysitter when our kids were little) for a 1 year old set of twins down in West Terre Haute. (yeah, I know, that explains it) Baby-daddy (never met him before) reaches in his pants and pulls out a little Ruger to show me, he hands it over, I accept. As I look at it, first thing I notice is the loaded chamber indicator up. Now I was carrying my 1911 at the time, (condition 1) though I doubt he knew it, and I'm not against carrying with one in the chamber. I just said "Nice" and gave it back. That was a teaching moment, yet I didn't react because I've been so conditioned not to cause a scene by my wife. In her defense, and mine, I typically don't do "tact" well, pretty blunt and to the point. However, what responsible person would just hand over a loaded piece to a guy he just met? Call me non-trusting, but I never would do that.

NOT to bash, you, but I NEVER accept a handgun of ANY kind, that isn't UNloaded, and the cylinder, and or chamber OPEN.....
    Semi auto, must have the mag., removed, and the slide LOCKED back ..... PERIOD .....

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    a guy in the HT commit section of the story said the guy should be arrested for carrying it with one in the chamber????....:rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    NOT to bash, you, but I NEVER accept a handgun of ANY kind, that isn't UNloaded, and the cylinder, and or chamber OPEN.....
    Semi auto, must have the mag., removed, and the slide LOCKED back ..... PERIOD .....

I will take a semi closed up if I see it cleared first but always check it again.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The long time 'standard' for a 'proper' holster was simple: If you can't do a full-tuck somersault and have the gun not move (not just not fall out) in the holster, it's an 'improper' holster for carrying that firearm. IF you're gonna spend the $$$ needed for a firearm then there's zero 'excuse' for not spending the $ for a 'proper' holster and belt as they're cheap in comparison.

...Tony E. Ward, 56, of Columbus, told police that a .22-caliber handgun, for which he has a permit and was in a holster, fell from his waistband while he was shopping and discharged...
    Well, then 'Mr. Tony E. Ward, 56, of Columbus should now be prohibited from carrying a gun in public in the future. Yep, carry license revoked.

Incidents like these only fuel the rhetoric spewed by the rabid anti-gunners. The 'right' to carry a gun is well-founded in the Second Amendment. There is NO right to act irresponsibly, and carrying a firearm in a holster that doesn't secure that firearm is irresponsible. If Mr. Ward is too stupid to act responsibly, then someone 'smarter' must simply step in and act before he injures an innocent bystander. Oh wait, he already did injure an innocent bystander.

It's not a 'game' and there's NO room in the crowd for the stupid and the irresponsible.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The long time 'standard' for a 'proper' holster was simple: If you can't do a full-tuck somersault and have the gun not move (not just not fall out) in the holster, it's an 'improper' holster for carrying that firearm. IF you're gonna spend the $$$ needed for a firearm then there's zero 'excuse' for not spending the $ for a 'proper' holster and belt as they're cheap in comparison.

Well, then 'Mr. Tony E. Ward, 56, of Columbus should now be prohibited from carrying a gun in public in the future. Yep, carry license revoked.

Incidents like these only fuel the rhetoric spewed by the rabid anti-gunners. The 'right' to carry a gun is well-founded in the Second Amendment. There is NO right to act irresponsibly, and carrying a firearm in a holster that doesn't secure that firearm is irresponsible. If Mr. Ward is too stupid to act responsibly, then someone 'smarter' must simply step in and act before he injures an innocent bystander. Oh wait, he already did injure an innocent bystander.

It's not a 'game' and there's NO room in the crowd for the stupid and the irresponsible.

I agree. And we should all remember; our rights can be taken away. It may take an act of Congress in some circumstances, but it can be done.

Top Bottom