• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Getting gas on the west side of Bloomington yesterday.

Two young girls both heavy with child and too skinny were getting gas for the old chevy beater pickup. Rust, bald tires, five tone paint. I've seen the truck and them around.

Noticed the front wheel was missing two lug nuts and pointed it out to them. I looked over at the pump and they put $10 in the truck and I didn't say anything. They told me they drive slow and money is tight. I sensed concern but never hand out cash to help others.

I let them talk a few minutes and made an offer. Five more gallons of gas and the three of us will go to Hardee's to talk. I picked up lunch.

Both girls have good hearts, but they just don't have any role models. Both are on public aid, and both "dads' want nothing to do with them. Neither have finished high school and have no intention of going back

As far as I could tell, a broken home was normal to them both. Neither had a father figure and no plan. They were polite, but overwhelmed.

I shared with them some places that could offer help, but it still is up to them to make the change. They both said thank you and would check out those sources on Monday.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see this all the time. It is a sad thing and makes my heart heavy for the children when they come into this world with no real family structure around them. It is one of the reasons this country is tanking. No nuclear family for so many.
    You seem to have a kind heart. I hope you helped them in even some small way.

About those lug nuts????

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You're a good man longbow and a credit to the human race. There is still hope...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Longbow...as a father myself, I can certainly see this from your point of view. I see kids like this all the time and it just bugs me...not a lot we can do about it other than offer the occasional kind word and/or a few bucks for gas/food. I hope they got signed up for WIC so the kids will at least be able to eat.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Very sad. They will each be burdened with a baby, minimal education and bleak prospects. No easy answer for them. Hope at least the father's be required to provide support.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Good job man! :yesway:

It really does take a village to raise a child. Too bad we have children raising children who may or may not have been raised themselves. You did good. I pray they get help and that they see it as a hand up and not a hand out. They have to want it though.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I always make sure to point out young people like this to my teenage kids. It usually goes like this, see that guy/gal, they probably never had a chance to turn out any other way. Nobody cared about them, spend any time with them, or taught them anything that could have helped them become anything other than what they are. Don't ever stick your nose up at them, or be anything but kind to them. They could be just one kind word or one generous gesture away from turning their life around. YOU have been given all these things and more(insert kids eye-rolling here) All you have to do is not screw it up.

Good on you for taking some action. Your time spent with them did more for them than any government assistance program is ever gonna do.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Well done, and a reppage +1.

But the most important question -- which has yet to be asked:

Were you OC'ing or CC'ing at the time? ;)

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    But the most important question -- which has yet to be asked:

Were you OC'ing or CC'ing at the time? ;)
    I thought the most important question was did he get a burger with BACON at Hardee's.

And good job to you LB. I may be naive sometimes, but I would like to think that they will carry your kind gesture with them for a long time. The 2 of them can talk to each other about this and hopefully use each other as support to make their own lives better. It will benefit them, their children and society in general.

Top Bottom