• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Education, education education. Locks, locks, locks. This **** doesn't have to happen.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    At the end of the day, a $20 gun box would have prevented this. Hiding it in the sofa seems to be common practice, as is kids finding it and shooting themselves or another child. This is the 4th 'couch gun' child shooting I'm aware of this year in our county. Night stand/bedroom tables runs a close second.

Instead of worrying about the "media agenda" how about promoting responsibility and not giving them things to promote an agenda with. We want to talk about the knee jerk reaction of the "anti's" but fail to see it among our own flock. Attempting to talk about the need for safety around firearms and reasonable measures to keep them out of inappropriate hands is somehow immediately deemed a threat to our freedom.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    At the end of the day, a $20 gun box would have prevented this. Hiding it in the sofa seems to be common practice, as is kids finding it and shooting themselves or another child. This is the 4th 'couch gun' child shooting I'm aware of this year in our county. Night stand/bedroom tables runs a close second.

Instead of worrying about the "media agenda" how about promoting responsibility and not giving them things to promote an agenda with. We want to talk about the knee jerk reaction of the "anti's" but fail to see it among our own flock. Attempting to talk about the need for safety around firearms and reasonable measures to keep them out of inappropriate hands is somehow immediately deemed a threat to our freedom.

It isn't deemed a threat and I don't think anyone on these boards is advocating for no safety or education. The issue is making a blanket statement that everyone needs to lock their guns up around children, which is false. There are many different variables that come in to play, and it should be left up to the parents to decide what is best for their home. If something goes wrong, they should be prepared to face some consequences.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Which, contrary to your implications, does not necessarily mean under lock and key.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It isn't deemed a threat and I don't think anyone on these boards is advocating for no safety or education. The issue is making a blanket statement that everyone needs to lock their guns up around children, which is false. There are many different variables that come in to play, and it should be left up to the parents to decide what is best for their home. If something goes wrong, they should be prepared to face some consequences.

And unless we start locking up parents when their children drown in pools and bathtubs, ingest cleaning products, or swallow too much of a medicine, the only consequence should be personal. There's a rampant hypocrisy that treats firearms as more dangerous and demanding of more criminal liability. Children die of other causes at a rate ridiculously higher than they die from firearms. But firearms deaths, accidental firearms deaths, are the only ones where parents are routinely brought before a judge to answer for their non-crime.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

They are not of my flock and your upset doesn't get you a bye with such an insult.
    Stupid people never listen and will always be of danger.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I trust mine. They have proven themselves trustworthy.

They have proven themselves to be children.
    Ultimately they might never break any of your rules.
    But if you think a 5 and 8 yr old are robots of your control............you are a fool.

It is a very rare kid who is so logical, at all times, as to be gun safe.............from such a young age.

They do exist. You may have two of them.

But you don't know, only time will tell.

I bet Nancy Lanza had such a trusting/lofty view of her kid.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    And unless we start locking up parents when their children drown in pools and bathtubs, ingest cleaning products, or swallow too much of a medicine, the only consequence should be personal. There's a rampant hypocrisy that treats firearms as more dangerous and demanding of more criminal liability. Children die of other causes at a rate ridiculously higher than they die from firearms. But firearms deaths, accidental firearms deaths, are the only ones where parents are routinely brought before a judge to answer for their non-crime.

I don't believe firearms should be treated differently than your aforementioned causes, as I believe there should be some culpability for them as well. What punishment and how much? I'm not sure.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Love 'em, teach 'em, but don't trust 'em.

You have to trust them, their siblings, their friends...........most homes these days suck at parenting. A gun home has to be a strict home.
    That flies in the face of current social norm IMHO.

And that might just be enough of a "cause" for a slightly rebellious (but ultimately unsafe) act.

These are kids. Even if you homeschool, you don't control all inputs. They are free to make poor decisions.

Nobody should trust a kid under 12 nowadays.

Maybe a generation back it could be done with higher success, but not today.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    They have proven themselves to be children.
    They have proven to be obedient children and have thus earned my trust. Not for everything. But for some things. I trust that they will not handle firearms in inappropriate ways. They know the rules. They follow. Is it so difficult for you to grasp that a child can be taught to be safe around firearms?

Ultimately they might never break any of your rules.
    I'm confident in my parenting.

But if you think a 5 and 8 yr old are robots of your control............you are a fool.
    I do not think they are robots. I know they are children who want to be obedient and have shown that they are.
    It is a very rare kid who is so logical, at all times, as to be gun safe.............from such a young age.

They do exist. You may have two of them.
    If you really believed this, you wouldn't be so intent on trying to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

But you don't know, only time will tell.
    Which I find incredibly ironic given that not only do you not know either, you don't know my children. And yet you insist that you know their likelihood of a certain behavior better than I.

I bet Nancy Lanza had such a trusting/lofty view of her kid.
    I am not Nancy and her child is not mine. Your statement is pointless.

Gun safety isn't about logic. It's about obedience. My children obey the firearms rules. It's as simple as that.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't believe firearms should be treated differently than your aforementioned causes, as I believe there should be some culpability for them as well. What punishment and how much? I'm not sure.
    Just another emotional response. Someone dies so someone has to be punished for it. Sorry. No can do. Accidents are just that. Every accident is rooted in some negligence because by definition all accidents can be prevented. But holding people legally responsible and seeking to punish them is unacceptable. What if the kid fell out of the tree house?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Just another emotional response. Someone dies so someone has to be punished for it. Sorry. No can do. Accidents are just that. Every accident is rooted in some negligence because by definition all accidents can be prevented. But holding people legally responsible and seeking to punish them is unacceptable. What if the kid fell out of the tree house?
    Agreed. I do not understand this desire to have to have someone punished for all of the bad things that happen in life. Sometimes bad things happen. It is sad but true.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Love 'em, teach 'em, but don't trust 'em.
    If I don't trust them, how will they ever learn to be trustworthy?

You have to trust them, their siblings, their friends
    No, I don't. You've apparently fallen for the idea that there is no room for situational decision-making. That if I don't lock them up for my children, that I won't/don't lock them up for other children. Where would you get such a ridiculous idea?

...........most homes these days suck at parenting. A gun home has to be a strict home.
    That flies in the face of current social norm IMHO.
    Define strict. Strict =/= restrictive. Strict does not breed rebellion.

These are kids. Even if you homeschool, you don't control all inputs. They are free to make poor decisions.
    These are MY kids. I know them. Homeschooling's got nothing to do with it. My relationship with them does.

Nobody should trust a kid under 12 nowadays.
    Because the 12th birthday is some magical rite of passage where they become super responsible and logical?

Maybe a generation back it could be done with higher success, but not today.
    My kids, and lots of others, are proof you are wrong.

Top Bottom