• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    for a few weeks now my wife has been telling me that there is something living in our attic. I never heard anything while I was home so I chalked it up as her being paranoid. the other day I heard it clear as could be. My house is a 1 story with a walk up attic. the ceiling joists/floor joists are 2x8's with blow in insulation between them, followed by 1/2 inch plywood that is screwed down on the 4 corners. I have a knee wall running the full length down both sides. My roof was open for a couple weeks this summer while I put a porch roof over the back deck, but I though I had that sealed back up pretty well. I will be double checking this soon as that's the only place I can think of where something could get in, or out.

We have heard this noise in a few spots in the house, over the master closet on the far east end of the house, and over the kitchen on the far west end. It sounds like a faint clicking noise like claws on the top of the drywall ceiling from the first floor. Upon first examination I didn't see any of the blown insulation in the knee wall areas disturbed but I didn't have much time to investigate. but something with smallish claws is definitely up there. we heard it for a good 15 minutes in the same spot the other day.

What can we speculate this being? I doubt a mouse could have made its way up the side of the house to get where this is. I am going to guess a chipmunk but I cannot be certain. And without knowing exactly what it is I am not sure how to go about getting rid of it.

My first though is to pull the sheet of plywood up where I thought I heard it and look for a nest, or feces or something. And to try and mix fly poison with Pepsi and put it on the knee wall side. I don't have a trail camera I can put up, and with it being deer season I doubt anybody has one I can borrow.

Thoughts on what this might be, and what approach I should use w/out knowing any more info?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We had a mouse or two that climbed our house and managed to get in a very small hole where the flashing had come loose. It made all sorts of noises up there until we finally found the hole and got it sealed up...stuffed some dcon in there first. It took quite a bit of searching to find the hole, but it was a mouse.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Mouse.

We have trapped a bunch of them this year. Sounds like a chupacabra at 3am, in the ceiling right over your head. They can get in through the smallest of holes, and climb absolutely anything.

Stick some peanut butter on a couple traps, and see what you get.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My guess is squirrels. Have you seen any piney's around. Those lil SOB's are public enemy #1 around here. They don't need much of a gap to get in. I've caught them pushing threw some pretty narrow gaps.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bats. ...or mice.

When the weather would warm up in spring we'd hear them wake up from hibernation and scratch around. As we'd lie in the darkness it sounded like they were trying to dig through the ceiling drywall so they could fall right on our faces.

I never did completely seal the holes - couldn't find it. Selling the house was the easier solution.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Without food , nothing could last in an attic since summer. Either mice coming & going to your pantry or a bat that has a way in & out of the house. I'd be sure to ck ALL around the house for any opening for a bat entry. Doesn't have to be high either.. Could near the foundation . Others would know better if a bat could trigger a trail cam. Good luck

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Our mice were going out and getting acorns and stuff to bring in. They weren't in the house itself, just in the ceiling. Ours is a log home without an attic and it/they were in the styrofoam insulation between the ceiling and the roof.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    There was a speck of daylight or two where I didn't get it sealed quite right under the new added on roof, so I think I will get in there tomorrow and make sure that is sealed up nice and tight and put out some poision and a few mouse traps. the neighbors next to us do have quite a few bats living in the upper part of their shed, so bats could be realistic as well. but the way I here it after it must have tunneled through 10 feet of insulation leads me to believe mouse.

I am ruling out anything larger than that because if it were a squirrel I definitely would see some of the blown insulation smashed down.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Get a couple of glue board traps and put a small amount of Peanut butter in the center. Get a live trap and put sun flower seeds in it. I'd be willing to bet you have a mouse/mice or a chipmunk.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I moved into my 10 year old house last December, in which I had a few mice that I had to take care of. Thankfully nothing this year, but I caught 6 last year. Ironically nothing in the garage or main level of the house, just the attic. When it comes to the attic, I prefer to trap rather than poison as I like to confirm the kill and dispose of it rather than letting the poison kill it and having to find or smell it later. With that said, I do put two bait boxes with poison outside around the foundation of the house and then about 6 traps with peanut butter in the attic.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    All respect due but I believe glue traps are inhumane. I've had to dispose of the little buggers while they were struggling to pull their bellies off the trap. Then they die from exhaustion & or thirst. Please use a regular mouse trap with peanut butter. They can't resist the peanut butter & it's quick & final. D-con works well, they eat it & then usually leave to look for water, & die elsewhere. Those that don't usually turn into beef jerky because they dry up which keeps the smell down to a minimum.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had a few traps set up in the attic. Mice would push them around till they snapped-ate the bait. Now I use a piece of tie wire, and either shoot down a drywall screw, or wrap it around a roofing nail, and secure the trap. Still can't find a couple traps and are like land mines in blown in insulation. Just a couple ideas.
    Good luck.

Top Bottom