• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

This is the type of article that bothers me the most.

A Gun Owner?s Case for Gun Control

This bothers me the most because it is this type of article that will appeal the most to the middle, undecided group of voters, thus causing us the most problems.

The far left gun control / gun ban folks will always appeal to themselves and no one else - which is fine because they are in the minority.

The far right Constitutional carry will always appeal to themselves and a segment of the gun rights group - which is fine because they are correct but are not in the majority.

But for many gun control just isn't on their radar. They are worried about their job, their investments, their childrens college fund, gay rights, animal rights, a balanced budget amendment, safe schools, a better educational system, property tax reform........ You get the idea. While you and I have the issues that fire us up ours are not the only ones. We vary from completely ignorant to mildly informed on some issues. This is normal.

The problem is for millions of Americans they are ignorant or only mildly informed on gun rights. The problem with an article such as this is that they will think it makes sense. It is simple and easy to understand. Yet, if truly examined NOTHING he proposes would protect the poor young child that was shot in the head by the damned idiot uncle or his own son in a movie theater.

In the end the problem is far more than guns. It is generational poverty without hope. It is a lack of education. It is a lack of seeing beyond today. It is a lack of being taught respect. It is a lack of long term planning. It is a lack of hope. It is all these issues that should be addressed, not necessarily by government.

And those problems are far more difficult to solve. This article makes it sound like a problem can be fixed with a simple solution. WRONG!

Regards,

Doug

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This is the anti gun folks trying the back door approach...."See...I am one of you (did you see my resume I put in the article?) and if I can see we need to do background checks, then you should too...I have guns and I am like YOU...

I think that was Bloomberg typing up that story....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Left likes to use the phrase "common sense gun control" because, by definition, you lack common sense if you disagree with more gun laws. The problem is that "common sense" has no meaning in and of itself. There is no such thing as "common sense". It's a fallacy to claim otherwise, but it works as a psychological trigger. I propose that we start co-opting the term and start calling for "common-sense repeal of gun laws". Obviously, if you disagree with repealing gun laws, you must lack common sense. You're not stupid, are you? Of course you're not. Then that means you agree with me.

aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    It sounds like California's short term goals. They want to tax, regulate, and license to the point where it becomes increasingly expensive and frustrating to own and train with a firearm, or to simply purchase ammunition.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I saw this a few minutes ago on yahoo. Decided it was another back-door spin by a left author, so did not read it. They will pin up anyone like this to promote their cause. The other millions of us are just ignorant I suppose

Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    The Left likes to use the phrase "common sense gun control" because, by definition, you lack common sense if you disagree with more gun laws. The problem is that "common sense" has no meaning in and of itself. There is no such thing as "common sense". It's a fallacy to claim otherwise, but it works as a psychological trigger. I propose that we start co-opting the term and start calling for "common-sense repeal of gun laws". Obviously, if you disagree with repealing gun laws, you must lack common sense. You're not stupid, are you? Of course you're not. Then that means you agree with me.
    ^^^^this! Use the Progressives' method against them. Not a bad idea.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Those of us who grew up in anti households could easily make the opposite case. Problem is, no one would publish it.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    Lol He probably is a gun owner. Got him a nice."easy to control" double barrel shotgun right after the vp suggested it was the best thing for personal defence and all you have to do is shoot it in the air.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Lol He probably is a gun owner. Got him a nice."easy to control" double barrel shotgun right after the vp suggested it was the best thing for personal defence and all you have to do is shoot it in the air.

How dare you denigrate Crazy Uncle Joe.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Common strategy to advocate a tired, failed strategy as if it is something new.

Why do we only talk about gun control after the most unbearable national tragedies? Why don’t we adopt the common sense gun control regulations that have broad public support and might actually prevent the next tragedy?

There is so much fail in those two sentences it is disgusting. Why don't we enforce the laws we already have? More importantly, who are the people disobeying the laws in the first place? What kind of people commit mass murder? The same people who have never cared about "common sense gun control laws" (whatever that is), and who never never will.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Between 83%—91% of the country supports background checks for all gun purchases <== Lie. Not just a lie, but a damn lie.

Requiring licenses and negligent discharge insurance would be part of common sense reform. <== Yeah, just like car insurance prevents wrecks, and life insurance prevents dying. :rolleyes:

We should consider putting a cap on the number of firearms purchased for personal use. <== Oh really? So collecting will become illegal too?

.... and white collar crimes should be added to the list of crimes that preclude offenders from owning firearms. <== Well, that will certainly keep a lot of politicians from owning guns. Especially Illinois politicians.

A tax on ammunition and weapons manufacturers and end-users seems like a relevant place to start. <== What? The tax we pay on ammo now to pay for wildlife preservation isn't enough for this guy?

"the exercise of rights requires some tradeoffs" <== Um, no, it doesn't. That would be privileges, not rights.

What an idiot...

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I can't take anyone seriously when they say background checks will prevent tragedies like Newtown. Lieing through their teeth while standing on the graves of those murdered by those gone insane.

Top Bottom