• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ", and the fr​inge right accuses them of politicizing a tragedy and warns that the government is coming for our firearms." Odd how those words just jumped right out. As is the fact that the author is a California resident and the article was reprinted from The Daily Beast.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    ", and the fr​inge right accuses them of politicizing a tragedy and warns that the government is coming for our firearms." Odd how those words just jumped right out. As is the fact that the author is a California resident and the article was reprinted from The Daily Beast.

Take that and add to it that this author is part of a self-described 'progressive' organization with Old Double-Barrel's son R. Hunter Biden on the board of directors.

Given that we have parallel threads, I think I will be 'green' and recycle my post from the other thread:

This dumbass amazes me!

Background checks and mental health evaluations for all gun owners, on a five-year verification cycle, would be a great first step.

The creation of a national registry of gun owners with cyclical opportunities for denial of a clearly enumerated constitutional right would be a 'great first step'? I would say that this would be a great first step toward an authoritarian government.

Requiring licenses and negligent discharge insurance would be part of common sense reform. Much like vehicles—which are also key pieces of personal property that can take lives when they are operated irresponsibly, firearms should require a license to own and operate. A tiered licensing system could apply to different types of weapons. Insurance could cover any damages caused by negligent discharge, and skyrocketing rates might prove discouraging for repeat offenders.

Again, 'common sense' is founded on the imposition of requiring a (presumably 'may issue') license to exercise a RIGHT along with an insurance mandate which could very likely price everyone who is not a millionaire out of gun ownership which is once again a RIGHT and not a conditional privilege.

Prudent limits need to be imposed. We should consider putting a cap on the number of firearms purchased for personal use. Allowances could be made for licensed gun dealers, but home protection and hunting require don’t require individuals to keep an arsenal. At the very least, misdemeanors such as DUIs, drug charges, and white-collar crimes should be added to the list of crimes that preclude offenders from owning firearms.

Arbitrary limitations on a RIGHT based on someone else's OPINION of what we do or do not NEED? Honestly? And then more arbitrary 'reasons' for abridging the rights of people who have not engaged in any violent act against anyone?

Opponents will no doubt ask how we intend to pay for all of these new requirements. A tax on ammunition and weapons manufacturers and end-users seems like a relevant place to start. With $617 billion spent to fund our national defense, we can certainly grab a billion or two to fund these lifesaving reforms.

Fail again. The Constitution grants the federal government authority to provide national defense and to raise taxes for the purpose of doing so. I believe that it can reasonably be believed that the authority for the federal government to raise taxes is limited to raising taxes for the purpose of engaging in activities which the Constitution grants authority to engage in. That would eliminate this stupid idea from consideration, let alone execution.

For some gun-rights advocates, no amount of smart budgeting will change their mind because for them any attempt to restrict firearm ownership amounts to an assault on liberty. But most sensible people, even those who own guns and value the 2nd Amendment, understand that the exercise of rights requires some trade-offs. After all, a majority of NRA members support background checks too.

The man finally sees the obvious, yet still rejects its reality. Fail again. Sensible people, whether they value the 2A or not, understand that an enumerated right is above meddling on the part of the government, not subject to 'reasonable' infringements. As for that last statement, even if it is true, I fail to recall signing the waiver authorizing the NRA to surrender constitutional rights on my behalf.

Tragic assaults on public safety by dangerous people are only part of the problem in the United States. A good guy with a gun can turn into a bad guy due to one slip up or a simple misunderstanding and an itchy trigger finger. It’s time we prioritize the debate on gun control and see some real change.

Oh yes, we gun owners are massacres waiting for an opportunity to happen. This guy must really be overdosing on stupid pills.

Shawn VanDiver is a 12-year Navy veteran and adjunct faculty at three universities teaching military studies, national security policy, homeland security, and international security and trade. He manages corporate security and enterprise risk at a major tech company. He is a member of theTruman National Security Project’s Defense Council. Views expressed are his own.

Now we get to the bottom line truth! This guy spent 12 years being one of the 'special ones' who was able to play with toys covered under the 2A yet denied to the mere mortals who are not in the employ of the .gov, and somehow this makes him an expert on life, the universe, and everything--and apparently possessed by the belief that only 'special ones' like himself should have rights. Also telling is that he is a member of a self-described 'progressive' organization with none other than Joe 'Double Barrel' Biden's son R. Hunter Biden on its board of directors. Color me shocked!

While we are on the topic of family connections, in spite of the disclaimer expressed in the last quoted sentence, I rather doubt that this man's views are hostile to The Daily Beast given that, first, it published his nonsense, and, second, it employs John McStupid's daughter Meghan. That in itself stands in evidence of the (lack of) quality of the publication.

Top Bottom