• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paulhager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I came up with an idea some years ago that should permit states to constitutionally bypass all Federal Gun Laws.

As we know, Federal gun laws exempt state law enforcement. The obvious solution is for a state to declare that all citizens over the age of 18 are members of the unorganized militia - they already are but put it into law. All members of the unorganized militia can lawfully arm themselves with any weapon used by the State Police so long as they obtain a license and pass a qualifying test. Once they have done this, they are considered to be reserve state police officers, available if called upon. As reserve police they are immediately exempt.

No more paying the Feds a $200 tax and filling out all sorts of paperwork for machine guns and no more post 1986 machine gun ban. Want a brand new M-4? No problem.

If the state declares most citizens are reserve police, there's not a lot the Feds can do.

The above approach has the advantage that it is less confrontational as nullification and saves nullification for other broadly unpopular Federal Laws such as Obamacare or the TSA.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Guess what! In Indiana, all adults, unless specifically exempted, are already part of the militia....but it doesn't mean what you hope it means.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I don't know why we would want to "save" nullification or avoid confrontation on this issue. I just pray that, if IT comes to pass, that one of these Sheriffs that has been promising to arrest feds who attempt to enforce will actually stick to his guns.

The fact is, if the Second is finally effectively gutted, the Constitution won't even be given lip service. It will be dead, as will many of those who would continue to vocally advocate its resuscitation.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    "The Supremacy Clause only applies if Congress is acting in pursuit of its constitutionally authorized powers. Federal laws are valid and are supreme, so long as those laws were adopted in pursuance of—that is, consistent with—the Constitution."

Perhaps states should give as much respect to the Supremacy Clause as the Federal Gov't gives to the 10th Amendment.

paulhager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Guess what! In Indiana, all adults, unless specifically exempted, are already part of the militia....but it doesn't mean what you hope it means.

Not what I said. I merely suggest that State Government can effectively declare everyone over the age of 18 can now get a personal protection license is also the functionally equivalent of a auxillary state police officer and, as such, entitled to carry any weapon carried by state police.

I'm not saying anything about how likely it is that Indiana might do it. Merely that it is a legal way around the Feds. It avoids direct confrontation over Federal versus state powers - something I discuss in the CIVIL OBEDIENCE thread elsewhere. In that thread I advocate pushing state nullification. Since that is a movement that is getting started, it has some momentum.

paulhager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    "The Supremacy Clause only applies if Congress is acting in pursuit of its constitutionally authorized powers. Federal laws are valid and are supreme, so long as those laws were adopted in pursuance of—that is, consistent with—the Constitution."

Perhaps states should give as much respect to the Supremacy Clause as the Federal Gov't gives to the 10th Amendment.

Correct. I started the thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_political_discussion/264219-civil_obedience.html to specifically discuss this issue.

Walken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Clark County
    Sort of crazy, but I like it. "BADGES FOR EVERYONE!" It's clever at least unlike secession petitions and small towns flatly declaring the feds have no jurisdiction.

Top Bottom