• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    He went straight from "tag light out" to "do you have any firearms in the car?" to "can I search your vehicle?".

I am wondering why:

1. He asked about the firearms in the first place? Did he see something in the car that led him to ask, or was it because you came up on his computer as a LTCH holder?

2. If it was because he saw something in the car that led him to ask, then, as you said yourself, you should have just said no thanks.

3. If it was because you came up on his computer as an LTCH holder, then there was no reason for him to request a search of your car, and you should have just said no thanks.

4. Why such little regard for the time and rights of citizens? Why a warrantless search of someone's property is taken so lightly? I don't blame you for being annoyed. I would have been ticked off too. But once you consented, I think you lost any recourse to legal action (don't know that for sure, just guessing). You can still write letters and complain to the chief, and perhaps the local newspaper, etc..

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    On the way to Willow Slough a State trooper asked if I had any firearms. I replied, I don't know, 17, 18. Somewhere around there."

He blinked a couple times. I pointed to the park sign.

He asked if I had any ON me. I replied 1 on the hip.
    That was the end.

The look on his face was awesome.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    On the way to Willow Slough a State trooper asked if I had any firearms. I replied, I don't know, 17, 18. Somewhere around there."

That was the end.

:laugh:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

That was the end.

I've always wondered if it's illegal to lie to the officer. For example, could you have been charged with a crime by not disclosing that you had one on your hip ?

Just curious.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I've always wondered if it's illegal to lie to the officer. For example, could you have been charged with a crime by not disclosing that you had one on your hip ?

Just curious.

I don't think not disclosing is illegal. Lie is a bit strong but maybe not wrong. At the very least it does little to establish trust during an otherwise stressful situation. Personally I have no problem with disclosing, but that is my business and my choice. Easy for me to say though since I very rarely get pulled over.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    ...I very rarely get pulled over.
    This. It just blows my mind that people get pulled over as often as they do. I've been driving for about 35 years and I've been pulled over once while I was driving. I was 19. I was speeding. 72 in a 55 I think. I got a ticket. I even paid it.

When I drive my POV I generally keep it about 10-12 MPH over the speed on the interstates and under 10 MPH over on other roads (in school zones I do the posted limit). I always make sure there are one or two cars around me going faster than I am. And I drive a lot.

You people really need to slow the **** down. :):

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    This. It just blows my mind that people get pulled over as often as they do. I've been driving for about 35 years and I've been pulled over once while I was driving. I was 19. I was speeding. 72 in a 55 I think. I got a ticket. I even paid it.

When I drive my POV I generally keep it about 10-12 MPH over the speed on the interstates and under 10 MPH over on other roads (in school zones I do the posted limit). I always make sure there are one or two cars around me going faster than I am. And I drive a lot.

I want to know why ISP thinks they can pull people over from a stopped position during rush hour?

Ok, well you are over there in your motor cycle with your radar gun, and someone is speeding. Ok, well you can turn your lights on, but I bet that someone gets to the nearest exit, takes the first right turn and parks in a residential neighborhood, before you ever get a chance to pull out into the oncoming traffic and pull that someone over. Going 70 in a 55, there is no way someone going 0 in a 55 parked, with a laser gun in their hand, and on a motor cycle, is going to pull someone over.

Surprised they don't work in teams and have a catch car.

I can see doing a speed trap during regular traffic, but if there are a lot of cars, good luck catching anybody.

Not an admission of guilt

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I want to know why ISP thinks they can pull people over from a stopped position during rush hour?

Ok, well you are over there in your motor cycle with your radar gun, and someone is speeding. Ok, well you can turn your lights on, but I bet that someone gets to the nearest exit, takes the first right turn and parks in a residential neighborhood, before you ever get a chance to pull out into the oncoming traffic and pull that someone over. Going 70 in a 55, there is no way someone going 0 in a 55 parked, with a laser gun in their hand, and on a motor cycle, is going to pull someone over.

I can see doing a speed trap during regular traffic, but if there are a lot of cars, good luck catching anybody.

They wouldn't necessarily need to catch you (although it's likely they would). They just need a plate number. They'll be along shortly. :):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Wow 10 over on the interstate! I would have thought ticket time. I set my cruise on 72 on the interstate and between 55-60 on a state road. If I speed it is honestly a mistake or my not paying attention. I moved back to Indiana in 2008 and the only time I was stopped by police was for not wearing a seatbelt. We were out on a county road checking the cows and going between fields in an old farm truck. My buddy was driving and told me the same state trooper gets him once or twice a year. Same old farm truck with busted self belts, same fields, same road, $25 tax.

On a side note best place to speed is North Dakota. $10 minimum ticket or $1 for each 1 mph over. Speed limit on interstate is 75 mph. So get popped doing 95 costs you $20. South Dakota was not as much fun since traffic violations are actual misdemeanor convictions that show up on a criminal background check.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis

Of course, going in hot pursuit to catch up to a speeder, or standing in the travel lane to flag down the offender does beg the question of safety to the rest of the vehicles on the road or the officer himself.

I have to wonder if the two-bulb plate lights are part of a scheme to increase the situations whereby a traffic stop could be had. With LEDs, these things should become a thing of the past.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    There are a lot of LEO who seem entitled to intimidate regular citizens.

I have spoke to one LEO recently who says that this attitude is "simmering" just below the surface of most LEO personel. They feel dispected and indanger of their life, every second of their day.

Maybe they shouldn't be cops then?

They could always be attorneys or doctors or engineers.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Maybe they shouldn't be cops then?

They could always be attorneys or doctors or engineers.

That reminds me of a song -

(sing this with a twang)
    Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys. Make 'em be Doctors and Lawyers and such

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

I agree, I've been driving now for 42yrs. I've been stopped 3 times in my life. All three times before I turned 25 while I was still an idiot. I deserved all 3.

My Father has been driving for 70 yrs, been pulled over four times. 35 of those years, driving for a living.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would not put so much stock in the tales of older people who have been stopped few times or not at all. Much of their life was lived in a time when the standard was to see that people were doing approximately what was deemed acceptable as opposed to searching for an excuse to rummage through people's belongings. Law enforcement has changed a lot, varying with department, over the last half-century.

magiaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    I understand the desire to be proactive on the officer's part, but I have a feeling he was just trying to show activity for the councilman rather than really do a good job. And, frankly, that sounded like one heck of an unprofessional stop.

-magiaaron

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Speaking of Officer Chompy. Many moons ago when I was just a young sailor, the Master at Arms did come and retrieve me with a gleam in his eye. The drug dogs had alerted on my vehicle. The whole way out I was chuckling. "What's so funny?" Oh you'll see I said. They were waiting on me and the MAA was in his blues. They made me open the doors and trunk and then step back. After a rather rigorous search he climbed out having found nothing. I am cracking up as they try to say that it must have been the cassette tapes that caused the alert. I pointed at his uniform covered in German Shepard hair and said "It was that little Shepard wasn't it? She didn't smell drugs, she smelled a stud!":rockwoot: They were not happy with me for a while after that.
    Sometimes even a good dog has a false alarm.:D

Top Bottom