• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I haven't been pulled over since the late 90's. Over the years, I'm hearing more and more about needing respect to do a job. Respect is a feeling of admiration for someone. Respect is about emotions. One should do their job without this constant need for admiration. Emotions and work are things you should not mix.

Whether you were late for work or not, they'll pick up on your frustration and think there's possibly something more to this stop than there is. I would still smile and hand over my license and registration. When the officer says "You don't mind if I search the car?", just smile and say "oh, no thanks officer". Hope you know the rest.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I haven't been pulled over since the late 90's. Over the years, I'm hearing more and more about needing respect to do a job. Respect is a feeling of admiration for someone. Respect is about emotions. One should do their job without this constant need for admiration. Emotions and work are things you should not mix.

Whether you were late for work or not, they'll pick up on your frustration and think there's possibly something more to this stop than there is. I would still smile and hand over my license and registration. When the officer says "You don't mind if I search the car?", just smile and say "oh, no thanks officer". Hope you know the rest.
    I beleive I managed to keep my frustration hidden, I stayed friendly with them through the entire stop. But of course it wasn't there fault I was running late, but the search didn't help either, I know its my own fault though.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    There's rarely any need for further dialog if you just skip straight to this. :)

Lol...

Do you know why I pulled you over?
    Pound sand...
    Okay, ticket time!

Keep your hands where I can see them.
    Pound sand...
    Hands! Now!
    POUND SAND!!!
    (sounds of bonded .40 JHP slamming into flesh and body panels)

Did you see anyone that looks suspicious in your neighborhood?
    Pound sand...
    Okay, let me see some ID, assume the position, you look remarkably like the Eagle Creek strangler...
    Whatever dude, pound sand...

Other things you may want to use in regards to police conversation:
    Beat feet,
    Pig in a pulk,
    Oh you must feel like a big man with your badge and gun, if I had a badge I would arrest your girlfriend/wife and show her a good time...
    Comparing their "size" with a Christmas tree light,
    You better hope I don't get out of jail,
    Man, I'm on parole, I can't go back...,
    Man, I didn't do nothin', why'd you set PacMan on me?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The search really isn't an issue if you permit it to happen, have nothing to hide, and don't mind waiting around while somebody else goes through your stuff.
    A point that will be ignored, glossed over, tossed out as far too many can't separate the illegality of a search with a completely legal one, so far has the disdain for it gone.

I do not care what they are saying no one gets in my vehicle. Nothing to find but no reason to look either.
    My initial response is to deny consent, but if I'm in the Expy I'd consider allowing it just to watch the officer have to pick through the kids' crap in the back seat. Then again, I wonder if I'd even be asked to exit the vehicle or consent to the search. I think being female has its advantages at times.

I have seen a few posts like this with the LEO asking to search a vehicle with no real probably suspiscion or cause.

Allowing them to do so speaks to the culture that they(LE) have created.

Stories abound of LEO finding the smallest of infractions and making a huge stink about it and thus ruining, or at least making a big inconvenience, to a persons life.

There are a lot of LEO who seem entitled to intimidate regular citizens(POWER TRIP).

I have spoke to one LEO recently who says that this attitude is "simmering" just below the surface of most LEO personel. They feel dispected and indanger of their life, every second of their day. Actual incidents do seem to occur on a regular basis where the LEO is in danger or maybe just verbally abused for no good reason.

One thing this LEO told me was that they can not effectively do their job without having multiple cameras(cell phones) popping out to record every second of every incident.

I totally respect their viewpoint and admire the fact that the vast majority of them DO keep this problem at a low level and under wraps.

However, everyone has a boils over eventually. Just hope you are out of the line of fire when that happens.

Correction: it's a culture WE have created by allowing our legislatures to erode our rights, by re-electing judges that erode our rights, and by refusing to uphold and exercise our rights which has the effect of eroding our rights. LE is simply taking advantage of a situation that already exists. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A point that will be ignored, glossed over, tossed out as far too many can't separate the illegality of a search with a completely legal one, so far has the disdain for it gone.

My initial response is to deny consent, but if I'm in the Expy I'd consider allowing it just to watch the officer have to pick through the kids' crap in the back seat. Then again, I wonder if I'd even be asked to exit the vehicle or consent to the search. I think being female has its advantages at times.

Correction: it's a culture WE have created by allowing our legislatures to erode our rights, by re-electing judges that erode our rights, and by refusing to uphold and exercise our rights which has the effect of eroding our rights. LE is simply taking advantage of a situation that already exists. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

I spend the majority of my drive time in a service van. I roll out a lot and run with traffic. I do get stopped about once a year on average usually for speeding and I admit to driving in a manor to get there.
    Always pleasant to LEO up to the point they aren't which has been seldom. Most are pleasant enough and just doing their job. I have not recieved a ticket in several years. I have gotten a written and a verbal warning and never asked to search.
    I do not offer up any info on firearms unless asked directly.
    That said, I do not and will not let them rifle through my service wagon. Nothing to find but a lot of tools, parts and such that all have their place.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Lol...

Pound sand...
    Okay, ticket time!

Keep your hands where I can see them.
    Pound sand...
    Hands! Now!
    POUND SAND!!!
    (sounds of bonded .40 JHP slamming into flesh and body panels)

Did you see anyone that looks suspicious in your neighborhood?
    Pound sand...
    Okay, let me see some ID, assume the position, you look remarkably like the Eagle Creek strangler...
    Whatever dude, pound sand...

Other things you may want to use in regards to police conversation:
    Beat feet,
    Pig in a pulk,
    Oh you must feel like a big man with your badge and gun, if I had a badge I would arrest your girlfriend/wife and show her a good time...
    Comparing their "size" with a Christmas tree light,
    You better hope I don't get out of jail,
    Man, I'm on parole, I can't go back...,
    Man, I didn't do nothin', why'd you set PacMan on me?
    you forgot...."Bad cop, no doughnut!!!!!"

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    why would you let them search even if you have nothing to hide? They are searching for one single reason and that is to find something on you. there is no benefit to you. Besides that, this is the United States of America and if they have no probable cause, in which they don't need your consent, then why would you voluntarily say - yea, look through all my stuff just because you want to see if you can find something to arrest me for.

I would rather be late for work because I am refusing to allow the search then be late because I volunteered to have a search done. I don't have anything to hide either but I would refuse simply on principle - you can't look just because you want to.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I'm sure they would make up some excuse for probable cause, however I had absolutely nothing in the vehicle except for firearm, a back pack and paperwork for the car in the dash
    ....not much as a candy wrapper....i keep this car that way because its for sale and I don't want it messy.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Lol...

Pound sand...

I like it. Its strength lies in its simplicity.
    I might go so far as adding Go to the front, but I suspect anything less terse than that might undermine the impact.

For instance, consider the following reply to the same question:

Because you enjoy pounding sand?

Of course, I still get the ticket (and possibly tased, beaten, whatever), but this version comes across as mere smartassery :flasher:

when what I really wished to project was more of a "resolute citizen not in the mood to be trifled with over a burned out bulb". :@ya:

The art is in the subtle nuances of the exchange, my friend. :):

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I'm sure they would make up some excuse for probable cause,

That's a completely different story. First, I would not assume that they would make it up on you for no reason at all. But even if they did make it up you can fight that later and possibly get it all thrown out if they did arrest you. But with the voluntary search, you just gave away everything and just let them have at it.

It's your choice obviously but it's hard to see people just hand away their rights so easily.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Even if you give consent, all is not lost. The Indiana Courts consider several factors in determining whether consent was freely and voluntarily given. Among these is the degree of intelligence and education of the person giving the consent. I think these posts demonstrate that some of you would have a pretty good shot at getting off even if they do find something.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    True, but they can't legally detain you any longer than the time it takes them to ticket you for the tail light to get Officer Chompy there.

Sure can. Long enough to conduct the business of the traffic stop, part of which is writing the ticket. I write slow. Second, if the officer develops what he believes is reasonable suspicion he can detain long enough to confirm or dispell that suspicion, including the length of time it takes for a drug dog to get there..45 minutes has been held reasonable,, though its case by case.

Top Bottom