• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I still have a box of .308 "match" ammo I loaded about 15-16 years ago that I use for sighters when I change scopes, to foul the barrel, or whatnot. They all go bang.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't claim to be an expert on anything, but, I would be kinda leery running loaded ammo thru a tumbler.

If you do a search, you can find many, many threads we've had on the subject. The upshot is that a vibratory tumbler is no problem at all, even after far longer time periods than are necessary to clean the rounds. There's even empirical data to back this up.

Skeetboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    As long as it kept in a cool dry place it will last years. I know guys with shotgun shells that are years old and still work great. If it is damp or chaging temperature (attic) all bets are off.

BearArms Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    If you do a search, you can find many, many threads we've had on the subject. The upshot is that a vibratory tumbler is no problem at all, even after far longer time periods than are necessary to clean the rounds. There's even empirical data to back this up.

Thanks a lot.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I convinced my father in law to pull out his old 30-30. It has been in a closet, with a box of ammo, for over 40 years (since he got married and moved to Indy). He'll bring it over as soon as we have a nice day, we'll clean it up, try some new ammo and the 40+ year old stuff. Both the rifle and ammo look fine. A little tarnished here and there, but a wipe down with cleaner and oil should do the trick. I have no doubt the old girl will fire.

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    consider military ammo is not always stored in optimal tempatures and is usually bounced, knocked, and kicked around in warehouses. Which is stored in ammo cans that are sometimes flooded and damp from hot and cold temps. I'd say as long as you keep it high and dry, you'll be just fine. How long do you plan on keeping the ammo? You'll eventually be too old to shoot. It will far outlive you.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    consider military ammo is not always stored in optimal tempatures and is usually bounced, knocked, and kicked around in warehouses. Which is stored in ammo cans that are sometimes flooded and damp from hot and cold temps. I'd say as long as you keep it high and dry, you'll be just fine. How long do you plan on keeping the ammo? You'll eventually be too old to shoot. It will far outlive you.

^^
    This

Ive shot surplus ammo in the Garand that wwas from the Korean war

davej48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    TN
    A neighbor of mine was a competitor in Military Rifle matches back in the 50's and 60's. When he passed away his widow gave me all of his reloading gear and supplies of witch a lot was 50+ years old. In with the rest of the stuff was about 250 rounds of 30-06 ammo that he had loaded. It still shoots and is more accurate than I can hold with my 1903-A3 rifle with iron sights.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    there is a reason the old saying is "keep your powder dry". as long as it stays dry it should be fine. for competition fresh is the best.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've shot some 45acp from 1944 and never had a failure to fire. Also just about everything I've fired through my 98K is from the 50's. Have had a couple of FTF but just lifted the bolt handle to recock and they always fire in the second try. Good factory ammo should have a nearly infinite shelf life, although I usuall do follow the FIFO rule to keep my ammo as fresh as possible.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have reloads, and powder, from the 80's & 90's, still shoots just fine.... I would not trust it for self defense, but for plinking, or at the range, GTG..... :twocents:

Jack_Bauer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    As most have said if stored in an air tight can with desiccant will last for a many years. Now if you have ammo like FN that uses lead free primers the primers will go bad and not ignite the power if store for long time even in perfect conditions.

Top Bottom