• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Just as a curiosity how much would it cost to buy everything needed to reload .223?

Also brass only lasts 2-3 reloads correct?

Your brass should reload at least 3 times unless you like to run at MAX loads. My cost breakdown for plinking rounds are as follows

$20/k for Tula small rifle primers
    $84/k for X-treme 55gr bullets
    $40/k for LC once fired brass
    $80 for 8lbs wc844 powder which loads 2k rounds

So my cost per 1000 is $184 if I have to buy brass or $144 if I can reuse.

Last edited:

Mcglockin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    OMG, OMG, OMG. This is a daily discussion. Search feature is your friend. Wait, I'll be back, I have ammo hoarding to do.

90% of this forum is a daily discussion. If people used the search feature every time before starting a new thread, there would be about 20-30 threads under each category other than the classifieds.

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Your brass should reload at least 3 times unless you like to run at MAX loads. My cost breakdown for plinking rounds are as follows

$20/k for Tula small rifle primers
    $84/k for X-treme 55gr bullets
    $40/k for LC once fired brass
    $80 for 8lbs wc844 powder which loads 2k rounds

So my cost per 1000 is $184 if I have to buy brass or $144 if I can reuse.

What would the equipment cost roughly?

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    90% of this forum is a daily discussion. If people used the search feature every time before starting a new thread, there would be about 20-30 threads under each category other than the classifieds.

I checked the first two pages at the time I posted the thread.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

I recently bought(well Indiana Live bought) a full setup to reload. I am approximately $550 in for all RCBS this includes press, media tumbler, dies, powder throw, scales, books, shell holder, hand priming tool, powder trickler, scale, blocks, and a few other things. The prices can be less than that if you go with Lee products, I just wanted to start with something I could have for 25+ years. Not knocking Lee, just what I needed right now.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

Depends how much you want to spend versus how convenient do you want it to be? If you look at reloading like fishing, it can be a relaxing way to spend a few hours. You can get the most basic setup for under $200 for all you need or I have personally spend over $2,000 and don't feel I could have gotten a better setup for a beginner. Don't know where you're located but if you'd like to check mine out you are more than welcome to. I have a Lee single stage and a Dillon progressive.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I was on "hiatus" from shooting in '08 and recently picked it back up again. How high did prices go and how fast did they come back down from the high? Say for 9mm 115gr ammo.

It wasn't so much the price increase as everyone was backordered. As I recall, when I could order brass case it was closer to .35/round rather than about .25/round. Now, with reloading, I can have 124 gr JHP for .12/round, and I am never backordered!

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Also brass only lasts 2-3 reloads correct?

Nah, I've reloaded some 38spl cases over a dozen times...granted, they're light wadcutter loads, but they just keep going. Occasionally, I'll see a split neck and I chuck those. The lower the pressure you load to, the longer life you can expect out of your brass. My 45 brass will get lost in the grass long before it will fail....

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You might only get 2 or 3 reloads from high-pressure cartridges being run through a rough semi-auto, like an M14, but for pistol cartridges, it is very reasonable to expect 10-15 reloads from a single case. There are documented examples of a single case being loaded more than 50 times, with gallery type loads.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Did the bubble pop in 09? Was the market flooded for a period after the election?

The bubble never popped but prices leveled off. As ammo shelves remained empty, most stores kept slowly raising prices because they knew as soon as it came back in stock, it would only be a day or 2 before the common calibers were gone once again.

The market never flooded because they couldn't stock fast enough to cause a flood and people will be buying ammo regardless so things just stayed in stock but remained at the higher prices.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    There are way more guns since Obama took office then anyone could have predicted. Not just because ppl thought he would restrict guns, but I think its because guns also just caught on with the public. Unfortunately, ammo production doesn't seem to have increased yet.

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    You might only get 2 or 3 reloads from high-pressure cartridges being run through a rough semi-auto, like an M14, but for pistol cartridges, it is very reasonable to expect 10-15 reloads from a single case. There are documented examples of a single case being loaded more than 50 times, with gallery type loads.

Thats what worries me I dont want somthing bad to happen with a case and hurt my gun. How do you know when a case has had it? What do say .225/5.56 cases cost if u buy em new?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thats what worries me I dont want somthing bad to happen with a case and hurt my gun. How do you know when a case has had it? What do say .225/5.56 cases cost if u buy em new?

If a case is worn out and suffers a split neck or shoulder during firing, it will not damage your gun. Head case separations can, but those are much less likely to happen and often indicate a problem with your chamber, not brass fatigue.

I know a case has had it when...

1. The primer pocket is so loose, they seem to fall into place
    2. There is a split in the neck, mouth or shoulder
    3. I see a bright line just forward of the case head; an incipient head separation
    4. Neck tension is not consistent (this can sometimes be fixed with annealing, on bottle-necked cases)

Don't fret about case life. Most of the time you'll LOSE your 223 cases before you wear 'em out. Be diligent about inspecting them during the loading process and you'll avoid problems 99.9% of the time. If this was a major concern, reloading would not be the safe and popular hobby that it is! :yesway:

The cost of brass is going to vary between new and once-fired/mil-surp. Suffice to say that even if you buy new brass every 4 or 5 firings, you're still going to be way ahead on cost, versus buying comparable quality factory ammo.

Keep in mind that when you reload, you are creating PREMIUM ammo, at less than a junk ammo price. Don't get sucked into the false economy of reloading to create ammo for the absolute least amount of money possible.

flatoutt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    This is one reason that ammo is starting to dissappear.

ATK announced that it is being awarded an Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity agreement from the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for .40 caliber ammunition. This contract features a base of 12 months, includes four option years, and will have a maximum volume of 450 million rounds. Deliveries are expected to begin in June.

I read in another article that this order includes .223 ammo

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    All I know is Fishers 96th St Wal-Mart, does not carry 100 bulk boxes of 9mm or .40, and hasnt for some time, I talked to the Manager and asked it be re ordered, they (Wal-mart) said they would see...............anyway, I was in there friday, and Terry was stocking the ammo shelves, he sad, he sells out of 9mm and .40 (500 rd boxes each weekly shipment. I have noticed bare shelves again as before lately.

Top Bottom