• Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Now that I'm at a real keyboard.

What the American flag means to me. It represents our founders and the revolutionary war soldiers who risked their lives and fortunes so that their posterity may have liberty and live free from tyranny. It represents those who have since fought and/or gave their lives to maintain it.

Do you think our founders would have fought if they thought their posterity would vote themselves Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, food stamps, free housing and they myriad of other social programs? I'd think not.

What do parents tell their teenage children who think they can come and go and do as they damn well please? As long as your in my house, you will live by my rules. We have a medal of honor recipient in this country who was denied the right to fly the American flag on his OWN property because his HOA didn't like it. Yet we have a lady living in government housing demanding HER rights. Where is she the least bit concerned about the rights of those who are having to pay her rent at the end of the government gun? Would the INGO reaction be the same if she were told to take down an Obama flag? I'd think not.

I don't know why she's living in government housing or what circumstances put her there. It truly may be of no fault of her own. But I think most of us understood as teenagers that when someone else is paying for your existence, you don't get to make the rules. Does anyone truly think the government doesn't want to attach strings to their free cheese? Does anyone truly think that the government doesn't use that free cheese to manipulate it's citizens? Like it or not, that's one of the liberties you give up when you go on the dole.

We've willingly given up these rights by letting the government take over retirement, healthcare, etc instead of taking care of our own. Before the government did it, the individual did. Now we have a bunch of grown children (recipients) living at mom and dad's house (government) demanding rights.

I sort of understand your expressed attitudes, but I'm not sure why you would see a difference between the wrongness of attempting to deny a MOH winner his right to fly the American flag and the rights of any other person to do the same thing. If you are going to be an advocate for our freedoms, don't you think you should be applauding those who are standing up for those freedoms, no matter who they are? We don't know anything about this woman's circumstances other than what was stated in the story, so we don't know if she's a welfare addict or a retired GM worker who lost most of her retirement when GM went bankrupt. Instead of concentrating your outrage on the circumstances that cause her to be living in government-subsidized housing, shouldn't you be concentrating your outrage on the threat to her freedom of expression?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I sort of understand your expressed attitudes, but I'm not sure why you would see a difference between the wrongness of attempting to deny a MOH winner his right to fly the American flag and the rights of any other person to do the same thing. If you are going to be an advocate for our freedoms, don't you think you should be applauding those who are standing up for those freedoms, no matter who they are? We don't know anything about this woman's circumstances other than what was stated in the story, so we don't know if she's a welfare addict or a retired GM worker who lost most of her retirement when GM went bankrupt. Instead of concentrating your outrage on the circumstances that cause her to be living in government-subsidized housing, shouldn't you be concentrating your outrage on the threat to her freedom of expression?

I'm all for freedom of expression. I just wish everyone else could as well. Who's with me on freedom of expression of burning the flag? We regularly see posters here calling for banning it. How many here would be concerned for her freedomof expression if the housing authority told her to take down her Obama flag?

Cafeteria plan citizens are the overwhelming majority of Americans. They want to pick and choose which liberties they support.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    HOA's are places where property rights are voluntarily forfeited.

Outside the HOA she would have a case. Inside, she gets the nannying she asked for.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    HOA's are places where property rights are voluntarily forfeited.

Outside the HOA she would have a case. Inside, she gets the nannying she asked for.

The MOH recipient was in an HOA. This lady is in government housing. I'm not sure one forfeited any more rights than the other.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm all for freedom of expression. I just wish everyone else could as well. Who's with me on freedom of expression of burning the flag? We regularly see posters here calling for banning it. How many here would be concerned for her freedomof expression if the housing authority told her to take down her Obama flag?

Cafeteria plan citizens are the overwhelming majority of Americans. They want to pick and choose which liberties they support.

Yes, but your comments indicated that you, too, are one of those "cafeteria plan citizens". Was that intentional, or were you being sarcastic and I didn't understand you?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Just like the MOH winner this lady signed a legal document with rules attached to it. She needs to STFU. If you make your bed you get to sleep in it.

And yet, others get to hang laundry out on the balconies. Seems that there is selective enforcement of the rules - and that's worth fighting as well. Just as signing a "release" form doesn't prevent one from suing over an injury suffered, signing an HOA doesn't prevent one from fighting for basic Freedoms where they are infringed. Now if you want to talk about arguing if neighbors should be able to hang their laundry from the balconies in violation of the rules . . .

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    And yet, others get to hang laundry out on the balconies. Seems that there is selective enforcement of the rules - and that's worth fighting as well. Just as signing a "release" form doesn't prevent one from suing over an injury suffered, signing an HOA doesn't prevent one from fighting for basic Freedoms where they are infringed. Now if you want to talk about arguing if neighbors should be able to hang their laundry from the balconies in violation of the rules . . .

It is only selective enforcement depending on what the rules of the lease agreement actually state. Are flags specifically displayed on the balcony prohibited? I never rented from where this lady is living, but I know my lease (from a national apartment management company, not public housing) specifically prohibited flags or anything that had to be mounted to the exterior of the building. It didn't mention any rules about me draping towels over the side of the balcony to dry off.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It is only selective enforcement depending on what the rules of the lease agreement actually state. Are flags specifically displayed on the balcony prohibited? I never rented from where this lady is living, but I know my lease (from a national apartment management company, not public housing) specifically prohibited flags or anything that had to be mounted to the exterior of the building. It didn't mention any rules about me draping towels over the side of the balcony to dry off.

We don't know anything but what the story says.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes, but your comments indicated that you, too, are one of those "cafeteria plan citizens". Was that intentional, or were you being sarcastic and I didn't understand you?

You're missing my point. Anyone has the right to buy a flag. They also have the right to display that flag provided they didn't sign that right away when choosing their home. But are they worthy of that flag and what it represents?

Whether other people are following the rules or not has no bearing on you. The same applies to speeders that complain about the other speeders not getting a ticket when they do. Is this lady violating the rules she agreed to or not?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Just to clear some things up......

The Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005 forbids a condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association from arbitrarily prohibiting the display of the American flag, subject to some considerations to safety, meaningful infringements upon others, etc.

Selective Enforcement, in itself, is illegal.

The people that most need protection, are those that are at a disadvantage to provide it for themselves.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    You're missing my point. Anyone has the right to buy a flag. They also have the right to display that flag provided they didn't sign that right away when choosing their home. But are they worthy of that flag and what it represents?

Whether other people are following the rules or not has no bearing on you. The same applies to speeders that complain about the other speeders not getting a ticket when they do. Is this lady violating the rules she agreed to or not?

The worthy part i might have a problem with, i am pretty sure they said inalienably rights when they expressing the ideas that lead to the creation of this country, i'm pretty sure there is no worthy or not worthy when it comes to the flag.

I agree with you about no pissing in the well you drink from, (complain about rules at a place with free rent) But i will defend her right to **** moan complain and do whatever she wants to do, regardless of how she is able to make her rent. She is an American, and as such, has the right to ***** about rules she doesn't like. Even if she willingly signed a piece of paper that says she can't do something, if she thinks the rules is wrong, i support her right to do whatever the hell she thinks necessary, (aside from stepping on the rights of others)

I also support your right to belittle some of the people you might consider to be wrong. Although i would encourage you to not lump people that receive transfer payments from the government into one group, many find upstanding people go through trouble, and i thank whatever god might be in charge of this crazy universe that i was born into a play that has a social net that can save a few people

Even if welfare and hud is abused, not everyone of the recipients is abusing it.

:patriot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I tend to return the same consideration for the rights of others that they give me.

Where's that safety net in the constitution?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Where in the First Amendment does it mention anything about a "worthiness test" to determine which individuals might be free to express their political views?

Based on your last specific statement, does that mean if Congress passes a law forbidding the private ownership of firearms that you will meekly surrender yours?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Where in the First Amendment does it mention anything about a "worthiness test" to determine which individuals might be free to express their political views?

Based on your last specific statement, does that mean if Congress passes a law forbidding the private ownership of firearms that you will meekly surrender yours?

Again, you're still missing my point. She's free to express her political views. Nowhere have I said she can't have freedom of speech or expression. I simply believe those who actively work against what our founders fought and died for don't deserve to wave it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This group seems to love code enforcement. But now the enforcement has its sights on the flag, it's terrible and unjust. Many a times it has been argued that property values trump property rights and therefore, your property isn't yours to do with as you please.

What's the saying? They came for the _____, but I wasn't a _____ so I said nothing.

Top Bottom