• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    if that happened to a civilian wouldn't that be illegal detention? why does a convenience store even have a boot?

Paramedics are civilians.And I have no idea why they would need to have a boot and if using it is even remotely legal. :dunno:

That sounds like a case of reckless endangerment to me.Just like parking your car in front of fire station doors. :ugh:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    My mom was telling me about when she lived in Kuwait that either the drivers do not have to or simply did not move out of the way for emergency vehicles with their lights and sirens on.

Makes me glad I don't live in either place.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    Looking at another news article, I learned two things:

1. The sign says that if you park and then leave the property, you will be booted. The paramedics didn't leave the property, and left the ambulance with the emergency lights on

2. The number on the sign for the "boot man" is the number for the convenience store. A convenience store employee also removed the boot (after it had destroyed the tire).

So: The store had no reason to boot them, even if it were not an ambulance, because they were in the store, not off the property. Second, common sense should prevail and one should probably not even consider putting a parking boot on an emergency vehicle. Someone's going to be in hot water over this one, and seeing as how it appears that the store's employees are the ones placing the boot, I think they're going to have some serious liability, especially if the patient has any complications that may or may not have been worsened by having to wait for another ambulance to come

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can not even begin to imagine how angry I would be if that were a one of my loved ones. At the very least, I would want the person who did it arrested. And maybe that person could exlplain to me, or a jury, why they thought it was necessary.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    My mom was telling me about when she lived in Kuwait that either the drivers do not have to or simply did not move out of the way for emergency vehicles with their lights and sirens on.

Makes me glad I don't live in either place.

when i lived in appalachia we had a REAL problem with people not getting out of the way of emergency vehicles, and we had a -Move Over- law in TN.
    we kept a log of plates that didnt GTFO and turned them over to the SO after every shift. usually had that problem at least once a call.
    no idea if they were ever ticketed, i seem to remember it was pretty hefty fine.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've run a red light to clear a way for an ambulance before. Not sure if that's legal, but at least I had a good excuse.

Not sure what planet these workers are from though... booting the ambulance? Especially considering they had to know someone in their store was in need of medical attention? That's like a whole new level of stupid right there.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    yea, i bet the store does not want to comment. What the heck could they possibly say that would make it better? Sometimes its best to just shut up when you know you had someone screw up. As Actaeon stated, thats a lawsuit for the patient as well as the family for something like that. Lets see how much longer that "bootman" will be around there.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's not the store employee's fault. He or she probably couldn't speak English and attaching the boot was the only way the employee could communicate. Besides, he/she probably gets a kick back from the boot (no pun intended)!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Next time there's a stick-up, the po-pos should park well down the block and stroll up to the store.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom