• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And deaths happen, because heavy industry is dangerous.

Watched the company bring in a contractor, because the union deemed the job to be dangerous, and against the companies own rules.
    The contractor then lived long enough to be burned alive by the liquid iron that broke through and engulfed him and his bulldozer.
    I think that surpasses my worst day at my non-union job.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Big machinery, gases, enough electricity to power a city, and high temps make for a fun environment.
    I think burning to death was my least favorite option.
    Burning to death and drowning are probably my two most feared ways of dying. And damn, you chose both of your careers where those were possibilities. :nuts:

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    And quasi criminal, can apply to so many organizations.

No. It really can't. If those who lead your organization are corrupt, then your organization is corrupt. It is a statistical impossibility for every major union to have systemic criminal activity unless the organizations themselves are at their core criminal enterprises.

You can waffle, hedge, or obfuscate, but at the end of the day you are part of an organization that is in part run by organized crime, actively engages in fraud, theft and, at times, violent crime, and supports those that seek to undermine our constitution.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No. It really can't. If those who lead your organization are corrupt, then your organization is corrupt. It is a statistical impossibility for every major union to have systemic criminal activity unless the organizations themselves are at their core criminal enterprises.

You can waffle, hedge, or obfuscate, but at the end of the day you are part of an organization that is in part run by organized crime, actively engages in fraud, theft and, at times, violent crime, and supports those that seek to undermine our constitution.

And organized crime carries guns.
    Therefore, anyone carrying a gun, is organized crime.

Thanks for providing that logic trail.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Damn, now I feel like an old school gangsta.

Off to buy a new zoot suit.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Burning to death and drowning are probably my two most feared ways of dying. And damn, you chose both of your careers where those were possibilities. :nuts:

Most likely, you won't drown on a sub.
    If it goes down, and the water breaks in, it will come in so fast it will impact like a brick wall, and crush you.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've seen a lot of safety disregarded, because it's easier to.
    Or, because "I've done this before"
    Oh for sure. But that's not on the company. Well I guess some of it could be. I've seen that mentality in some of the older guys, because that's how we used to do it back in the day.

You can't fool proof everything, it is still a dangerous environment.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh for sure. But that's not on the company. Well I guess some of it could be. I've seen that mentality in some of the older guys, because that's how we used to do it back in the day.

You can't fool proof everything, it is still a dangerous environment.

Funny things that just popped in my head.
    We had something like 4 managers go into some equipment that was not locked out.
    Safety came in, and gave EVERY ONE of the managers time off.
    The managers came back VERY angry.
    Which is funny, because they'd have written up an employee for doing exactly the same thing.

Also, watched a safety engineer get fired, for breaking the safety rules.
    He did not notify the on site manager that he was there.
    He then boarded an offline EOT crane, so that he could look down and find people breaking rules.
    He broke rules by not notifying management that he was on the crane, AND he did not switch the status lights to signal "offline but occupied. Do NOT push".

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Funny things that just popped in my head.
    We had something like 4 managers go into some equipment that was not locked out.
    Safety came in, and gave EVERY ONE of the managers time off.
    The managers came back VERY angry.
    Which is funny, because they'd have written up an employee for doing exactly the same thing.

Also, watched a safety engineer get fired, for breaking the safety rules.
    He did not notify the on site manager that he was there.
    He then boarded an offline EOT crane, so that he could look down and find people breaking rules.
    He broke rules by not notifying management that he was on the crane, AND he did not switch the status lights to signal "offline but occupied. Do NOT push".
    I wish we had a safety dept.

We had an operations officer who was supposed to walk around and make sure everyone had the proper paperwork filled out and posted, hot work, confined space, rescue on site when it's called for etc. etc.

He was famous for showing up to the worksite without a hard hat on.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Many non-union companies still offer a pension. My wife has one in fact. If you think that this is strictly a union perk then I would respectfully say that you aren’t qualified to opine on this topic. And that’s not counting a 401k which nearly all non entry level jobs offer today, and even some entry level ones.

As far as criminal, you can scoff, but you do realize that the department of justice has a specific division devoted just to labor unions. This isn't ancient history either. The UAW, Teamsters, longshoremen, IBEW, and the rest have all had leaders convicted or enter guilty pleas very recently.

As above, if you are going to take the position that unions have not been infiltrated by organized crime then you are no student of history.
    You all jump the shark a lot.

" As of 2017, only 16 percent of Fortune 500 companies offered a traditionally defined benefit pension plan to its new hires, according to a Willis Towers Watson report. That’s a dramatic drop from the 59 percent of that same group of employers that offered pensions in 1998"

Never once did I post that Union workers are the only ones in the workforce working towards a penison.
    Criminal behavior? I was not in the UAW, Teamsters, Longshoremen or was I an IBEW worker. I didnt work under the umbrella of the AFL-CIO either. Never had that sort of behavior in the Trade I worked in.

It mystifys me that ifs a bad thing in America that people stay in the same trade over great pay & benefits along the way with the culmination of a good check and a healthy investment savings accounts.

Top Bottom