• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This is astounding and not a re-creation. It needs to be seen by everyone.

Watch Tow Truck Shootout Video | Break.com

What is interesting to point out is that the towing company had a gun. IN A LOCK BOX. It was not able to be retrieved until after roughly 40+ rounds were fired by the bad guy and after he went to back to his truck (to reload).

If you keep a gun, it only makes sense to keep it handy.

Thoughts?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My first thought was that what the announcer described as an "AK-47" was in fact an HK-91 type. :dunno:

Agree on keeping the gun handy. +1 to the manager for ending the fight and quite probably saving the cop and his employees' lives.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That manager is lucky that the cop didn't shoot HIM when he ran up to the perp after putting his three rounds into him! The cop's adrenaline must have been through the roof. I know he made contact with the officer before he ran up, but man, one officer who just got into a gunfight may not know the manager was a good guy.

I agree though, that gun in a lock box was just about worthless. If it'd been on someone's hip it might have ended the situation without anyone getting shot.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    WOW ! That would be scary to be stuck in a box and have someone shooting in on you like that .

Good thing the cop got there , wonder why they only sent one ?

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, I always wonder whats going through those peoples minds who do those things.

Giving up on life?

Anyways, whats the point of keeping a gun on the premise if it can't be used?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    WOW ! That would be scary to be stuck in a box and have someone shooting in on you like that .

It might have been from the first time she called 911 - a guy was just being belligerent and hadn't indicated he was going to shoot up the place yet. He just happened to be first on the scene.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It might have been from the first time she called 911 - a guy was just being belligerent and hadn't indicated he was going to shoot up the place yet. He just happened to be first on the scene.
    Agreed... whats the law in Indiana for returning deadly fire?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I brought my wife into the room to watch the video. I said to her "That's why you carry handguns, so the BG isn't the only one doing the shooting". The manager realized that too late and it could have cost him as well as his co-workers their lives. Luckily the business wan't totally anti-gun.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I can't believe it took someone that long to go for the gun. But then again unless you have been in that type of situation before its kinda of hard to say how you would react. Even if you had a gun on your hip.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Other than the obvious issues with having a gun locked up and unable to be used in a timely manner, I couldn't imagine shooting anywhere near the officers direction. Though the store employee did finish taking the BG down, the officer was coming around the vehicle to see the store employee pointing a gun in his general direction. Really lucky he didn't end up getting shot by the cop as well. Had it been me, instead of raising myleft hand to the cop to identify myself as the GG, I'd have probably placed my weapon on the ground so that cop realized I wasn't a threat. As mentioned above, adrenaline levels as high as they were after just being in a shoot out, I sure don't want the officer putting one in me on accident. The video says the employee put all three rounds in the BG, thats pretty decent aim for having just had 40 rounds sent in your direction and being at the distance he was from the BG.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    interesting. yeah, a locked gun is a useless gun. the employees handled it well although i would have gone for the locked gun much earlier i guess. what was the first officer on scene thinking? hes already gotten the call of shots fired from her second 911 call and then is withing 10 yards of this guy and the BG still is armed. the officer jumps and draws, but orders mulitiple times to drop the gun. in my opinion, i would have ordered him to prone once and after that hes gonna hit the deck. why risk getting into a shoot-out and possibly you or someone else taking a bullet. i was amazed at the officers actions. how many of you would have ordered him to drop the gun multiple times if this was at your house? and the manager with the handgun, that officer probably owes his life to him.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    interesting. yeah, a locked gun is a useless gun. the employees handled it well although i would have gone for the locked gun much earlier i guess. what was the first officer on scene thinking? hes already gotten the call of shots fired from her second 911 call and then is withing 10 yards of this guy and the BG still is armed. the officer jumps and draws, but orders mulitiple times to drop the gun. in my opinion, i would have ordered him to prone once and after that hes gonna hit the deck. why risk getting into a shoot-out and possibly you or someone else taking a bullet. i was amazed at the officers actions. how many of you would have ordered him to drop the gun multiple times if this was at your house? and the manager with the handgun, that officer probably owes his life to him.

This^

The first command he disregards while holding those guns and he should have been down. It was eerily like the video of that cop who got killed down in Arkansas who didn't start shooting until the guy got his M1 carbine loaded and had already opened up.

Joe

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    When I was watching the policeman letting the perp walk around to his truck, gun in hand, ignoring orders, I wondered what it takes for modern day LE to shoot.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When I was watching the policeman letting the perp walk around to his truck, gun in hand, ignoring orders, I wondered what it takes for modern day LE to shoot.

Let's just hold off the armchair quarterbacking here. That officer had just pulled up on the scene. We don't know if he'd been informed of a shooting or not, the initial call was not about a shooting.

To the person saying how the person walking away would have been shot after failing to obey one command to drop the gun, that's a bit premature too.

How was that officer to know the person wasn't deaf or hard of hearing? How was that officer to know that was the perpetrator? That portion happened in a very few seconds which is not much time to make the decision to SHOOT SOMEONE IN THE BACK WHO IS WALKING AWAY FROM YOU.

If the officer had shot an innocent person in that scenario there'd be cries here for his badge for being a JBT.

Me, while we can criticize from the position of having seen the video, I am NOT going to fault the officer's actions there.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    1) A gun in a lockbox is useless. In order to be of use, it needs to be on your hip

2) The cops waited WAAAAY to long to open fire.

3) If you are gonna use your gun to help out the cops in the middle of a gunfight, you are taking a huge chance of being shot by those same cops. If the cops don't shoot you in the middle of the gun fight, don't point your gun in their direction afterwards. The citizen is hugely lucky a scared snotless cop didn't open up on him, too, IMHO.

4) Not bad shooting by the citizen, once he was able to actually get to a gun.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I think if I was the store employee holding a handgun while the officer was circling to see me, I would have immediately dove behind that truck. Although it may have made me a "bad guy" for the moment, I could then have thrown the gun out from behind, yelled that I'm a good guy, and put my hands up from cover. That gives the officer time to be in control again. He could order me down, out, etc. now that the threat is over. If it wasn't over, at least I'm behind cover.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

I'm sure they sent more than one car. He was just first there. Cop made a number of tactical errors looking at the video, but may have felt he needed to pull right up on scene like that to save lives. Ballsy, but also a good way to get capped before you can even get out of the car, thereby not enabling you to do anything but bleed. He's lucky the BG was outta ammo.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I can't believe it took someone that long to go for the gun. But then again unless you have been in that type of situation before its kinda of hard to say how you would react. Even if you had a gun on your hip.

Going for the gun earlier, with all those rounds ripping through the building, would have been an exceptionally low percentage move, IMHO.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

Me, while we can criticize from the position of having seen the video, I am NOT going to fault the officer's actions there.

I will. He's lucky to be alive, and in fact may only be so because of the manager. I surely can't fault his courage, but there are lessons to be learned there for both cops and other citizens.

Top Bottom