Am I a stickler? OR do you agree with me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I normally would agree about the plastic but when cost of filling my truck is a days wages and because of drive offs the pay first policies of most all stations, it is just so much easier to pay at the pump

So they lose my soda or coffee sale and my munchies call go unanswered :D becaue I'd have to go inside and start the process all over

So true. I hate having to prepay and do a second transaction for a buck or 2 to get a drink, etc. I used to drive away from a lot of prepay gas stations and go to ones that weren't. Unfortunately, almost every single one of them is prepay now.

There is a gas station that I refuse to go to now and it has been almost a year. I would pay at the pump and it wouldn't give a receipt and say please see cashier. Then I would have to go stand in line for several minutes to get a receipt. This went on several times and I asked when they were going to fix it and the attendant got rude with me. I told them I'll get my gas somewhere else and left. Never been back. Kind of stupid to pay at the pump and still have to go inside.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    So true. I hate having to prepay and do a second transaction for a buck or 2 to get a drink, etc. I used to drive away from a lot of prepay gas stations and go to ones that weren't. Unfortunately, almost every single one of them is prepay now.

There is a gas station that I refuse to go to now and it has been almost a year. I would pay at the pump and it wouldn't give a receipt and say please see cashier. Then I would have to go stand in line for several minutes to get a receipt. This went on several times and I asked when they were going to fix it and the attendant got rude with me. I told them I'll get my gas somewhere else and left. Never been back. Kind of stupid to pay at the pump and still have to go inside.

Nothing wrong with the pump, its just the clerks or management is not refilling the paper for the receipt. Also hate it when you cannot clean your windshield

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Why?

In most cases a card can be run as fast or faster than a cash transaction. How does this practice hurt you?

A card is not faster than cash, unless you are using the "pay at the pump", in which I find it a great convienance since I always fill up my tank, I drive a gas guzzler and drive like a bat out of hell.

I didn't say it hurt me, I said it annoyed me, big difference.

I also think the whole point system nonsense that CC companies offer are a joke. What are you going to "earn", a new key chain, how about they just offer a decent rate and good identity security.

I also don't have any "rewards" cards, "loyalty" cards, I think it is all stupid and a waste of time.

You must understand, I have things to do, I don't get paid by the hour and I rather not carry an extra card in my wallet, I don't carry a wallet any way I use a money clip. I also don't like having a bunch of key tag thingys on my key ring, house key and car key that is it.

Again, it just annoys me, I can handle it, its not like I am going to go postal over some one using a CC/DC at a Speedway.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    A card is not faster than cash, unless you are using the "pay at the pump", in which I find it a great convienance since I always fill up my tank, I drive a gas guzzler and drive like a bat out of hell.

I didn't say it hurt me, I said it annoyed me, big difference.

I also think the whole point system nonsense that CC companies offer are a joke. What are you going to "earn", a new key chain, how about they just offer a decent rate and good identity security.

I also don't have any "rewards" cards, "loyalty" cards, I think it is all stupid and a waste of time.

You must understand, I have things to do, I don't get paid by the hour and I rather not carry an extra card in my wallet, I don't carry a wallet any way I use a money clip. I also don't like having a bunch of key tag thingys on my key ring, house key and car key that is it.

Again, it just annoys me, I can handle it, its not like I am going to go postal over some one using a CC/DC at a Speedway.
    Hmmm. I'll take my "keychain" then. I use my Debit/credit card for pretty much everything. I just recently purchased a Yugo SKS with their rewards program. Of course it took me over a year, but still the SKS didn't come out of my pocket.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you use your cards frequently and pay your balance at the end of each month, cash back rewards can be substantial, at least by my standards.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    If you use your cards frequently and pay your balance at the end of each month, cash back rewards can be substantial, at least by my standards.

I almost forgot, I do have the Dick's scorecard. However, they come with stickers that I can put on my debit card.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Hmmm. I'll take my "keychain" then. I use my Debit/credit card for pretty much everything. I just recently purchased a Yugo SKS with their rewards program. Of course it took me over a year, but still the SKS didn't come out of my pocket.

:+1:I'm with you brother. Even better.... I love the folks still living it the 1800's running around expecting me to wait patiently behind them while they right-out a "promise to pay" (check) when a debit card does exactly the same thing in about 1/10th of the time. I've collected $200 from Chase in less than a year by using my debit card!!!! It's the 21st century folks!!!! :rockwoot: :patriot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    In one sense I sympathize with business owners because they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. If you don't accept credit cards people get upset and don't do business. If you do accept, you pay the cost and lose profit. Now some will say that people statistically spend more on plastic than when paying with cash, but I wonder how universally this is true? I know it's true at Walmart, but what about the mom and pop gun shops? Are you spending more with plastic there vs. cash? I tend to think the effect is much smaller, but have no science to back it up. Again, I say they are stuck in rock and hard place. It's almost collusion on the part of the buyer. "Hey, as long as none of us carry cash, we can force this guy to take plastic" and then he gets paid less. Maybe I am over estimating his cost, or underestimating the business he gains from cards, but I think it's not an ideal situation for the business owner, especially small businesses.

I will say that I think your irritation is reasonable. No sense having a coronary, but the owner is trying to have his cake and eat it too. He wants the benefits of accepting cards but is unwilling to pay the cost of doing so. He needs to figure out which method he is going to use and then run with it, rather than playing both sides.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wonder how many of these people who talk up these rewards programs pay out way more in interest than they get back. A measely $10 or 20 a month is pointless if you have a balance in the thousands and pay large amounts of interest. My brother does that and can't see the forest for the trees.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Totally agree with you there horn, anyone saying they are getting something for free is full of BS. NOTHING is free, you are paying for it in one way or another, be it interest, yearly fees, etc. The bottom line is that cash is, and always will be, faster, more efficient, and easier than any card your could ever carry.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    You don't pay interest on debit cards. :rolleyes:

CLICKY ---> Debit card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly..... At least join us in the '80's if you can't make it all the way to 2009. :D

Oh....... I meant the 1980's, not the 1880's. :laugh:

I wonder how many of these people who talk up these rewards programs pay out way more in interest than they get back. A measely $10 or 20 a month is pointless if you have a balance in the thousands and pay large amounts of interest. My brother does that and can't see the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Totally agree with you there horn, anyone saying they are getting something for free is full of BS. NOTHING is free, you are paying for it in one way or another, be it interest, yearly fees, etc. The bottom line is that cash is, and always will be, faster, more efficient, and easier than any card your could ever carry.

Nope.... Sorry. My account is 100% free. Free checks, free on-line bill pay, free use of a Visa debit card, free savings account (interest bearing), free everything. The only way I would accrue fees is if I bounced a check (like any other bank would). :rockwoot:

So..... Fire-up the tin lizzy and get down to the big city and check it out at Chase bank!!!! :laugh: :cheers:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The store I run does not add a fee for CC usage. HOWEVER we do balance with the following two rules:

1. We do not give 2% back on cash transactions.
    2. We have restock fees even on unopened stuff if you used a CC to pay with.

And people go nuts about those two policies as well!

The base problem is that 95% of all customers will slit their grandma's throats for a 3% difference and will not darken your door but go to walmart instead over a 1% difference. So stores advertise at their lowest possible dollar. They frankly cut it too close out of felt necessity.

I personally don't agree and think it makes too many upset customers, but seriously - they figure slightly ticked customers are better than ones that you have never met over at wallmart.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    My rewards program is with chase and it works with my Debit card. So I pay no interest. I pay everything with my card. And at the end of the month I get a statement that tells me where all my money went.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Oops I didn't see a bunch of others already addressed Hornadylnl before I did. Don't want to beat you up too bad:D
    Like it was stated before, I love Chase too. And in the rare time that I do bounce a check it's only like $10 if they can draw funds out of savings.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I guess I wasn't specific enough. I meant rewards programs for CREDIT cards. I use my debit and credit cards all the time. I pay off my balance every month on the credit card and haven't paid interest in at least 9 years on a card. I just think it's funny that a good percentage that tout these rewards programs for their cards are paying more in interest than what they are getting back.

I've even bought a $1500 riding mower, a $700 fridge, and $400 pressure washer on my Lowes card and a $1500 washer and dryer set on my Home Depot card with no payments and no interest for a year. I paid them all off before the year was up.

Using credit is great so long as you use it wisely. If you make money on a rewards program, and pay your cards off, more power to you. I bet you'd be surprised how many people pay for absolutely everything on their credit card like my brother because they "get money back" and then don't pay their card off at the end of the month.

Trust me, I know you don't pay interest on debit cards. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Nope.... Sorry. My account is 100% free. Free checks, free on-line bill pay, free use of a Visa debit card, free savings account (interest bearing), free everything. The only way I would accrue fees is if I bounced a check (like any other bank would). :rockwoot:

So..... Fire-up the tin lizzy and get down to the big city and check it out at Chase bank!!!! :laugh: :cheers:

So you have no rewards on your account then? Thats what I was referring to. If you have any of the chase rewards, or chase extras there is a yearly service charge on the account. So to restate, nobody gets things for free, if you are getting rewards, cash back, etc you are paying for it somewhere.

Welcome to the thread, try to read the whole topic before you chime in.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Welcome to the thread, try to read the whole topic before you chime in.
    Check your attitude at the front of your computer. Sorry to make this the example, but it bugs me that people feel the need to be so snarky or condescending on the net.
    First, I started the thread and as a point, it hasn't been on topic for awhile now, you included. I started by asking the question what people thought about merchants having minimums or charging fees to accept lower credit card amounts. It has drifted over to reward points offered by credit cards. Which is fine as long as everyone is having a good time who cares where it goes.
    Second, I have a chase account and the reward program is free. Perhaps I had to agree to direct deposit or something not sure, but it is free. I remember because at the time that I opened the account they offered one point for every dollar spent or 4 points for every dollar spent. The first plan was and is free the second plan was $25.00 a year.

Top Bottom