Am I a good neighbor? Did I do the right thing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    There is no such thing as a "rehabilitated" child molester. Adults who have impulses to have sex with children under the age of 14 (the legal definition of child molesting in Indiana) are not going to be reintegrated into society after any amount of prison time. Sex is a base instinct, like hunger or thirst. If it's screwed up in your head, causing you to only want sex with children, then that's what you want.....period.

It can happen that a adult can have sex with a 14 yr old girl and not be a pedo. A buddy of mine picked up a girl at the bar took her home, she stayed with him for 3 or 4 days until her mother showed up at his door and informed him she was 13. :eek: :runaway: If the mother wanted to she could of went to the police and had charges filed. He would of had a decent chance of beating them but if he hadn't? But I agree with you on the ones that target young kids.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I understand what you're saying and tend to agree with you... to a point. If there is a convicted child molester living on the block, there is no way I'm going to allow my children to play in his yard. If there is a convicted serial rapist living next door, I'm not going to become buddies with him. If there is a drug dealer living down the street, I'm not going to allow my kids near him. I'm just not. Period. Tell my kids that's unfair of me if you wish. But when it comes down to it, the good Lord gave me the honor and privilege of being the mother of two beautiful little girls and with that comes the responsibility of protecting them at all costs. And I will do everything in my power to do just that... no matter how wrong it may appear.

There you go! Protect your kids. Tell your friends (that is, their friends' parents) so that they can protect their kids. These are the actions to take with a former molester in the area. You don't let your kids play in his/her yard, you don't let your kids out unsupervised, and you make sure they know why. If the guy (or gal, but for convenience, "guy") comes to knock on your door to borrow a cup of sugar, sure, fine, no problem. Here you go, have a nice day. If he's just doing the "life" thing- going to work, mowing his yard, etc., you might even say "hi" once in a while. He's an acquaintence. He's NOT a friend by any stretch of the imagination. You're not inviting him over for supper, meeting him for a picnic, or trusting him in any way, shape, or form. What you're doing is giving him a chance to let whatever therapy he's had, whatever chemical castration has been done to him as part of his sentence override his sick desires and let him have a reason to work to not reoffend. It's GOT to take work to do that- hell, I know for a fact I could not stop looking at beautiful women and appreciating that beauty. The difference is that I don't look at those women as objects for me to masturbate into-they are people with needs, wants, desires, thoughts, and personalities all their own.

Of note: Indiana law provides for the 18-yr-old/15-yr-old thing.
    IC 35-42-4-9
    Sexual misconduct with a minor
    Sec. 9. (a) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, performs or submits to sexual intercourse or deviate sexual conduct commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class C felony. However, the offense is:
    (1) a Class B felony if it is committed by a person at least twenty-one (21) years of age; and
    (2) a Class A felony if it is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force, if it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon, if it results in serious bodily injury, or if the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
    (b) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, performs or submits to any fondling or touching, of either the child or the older person, with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the older person, commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class D felony. However, the offense is:
    (1) a Class C felony if it is committed by a person at least twenty-one (21) years of age; and
    (2) a Class B felony if it is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force, while armed with a deadly weapon, or if the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
    (c) It is a defense that the accused person reasonably believed that the child was at least sixteen (16) years of age at the time of the conduct. However, this subsection does not apply to an offense described in subsection (a)(2) or (b)(2).
    (d) It is a defense that the child is or has ever been married. However, this subsection does not apply to an offense described in subsection (a)(2) or (b)(2).
    (e) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section if all the following apply:
    (1) The person is not more than four (4) years older than the victim.
    (2) The relationship between the person and the victim was a dating relationship or an ongoing personal relationship. The term "ongoing personal relationship" does not include a family relationship.
    (3) The crime:
    (A) was not committed by a person who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
    (B) was not committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force;
    (C) was not committed while armed with a deadly weapon;
    (D) did not result in serious bodily injury;
    (E) was not facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge; and
    (F) was not committed by a person having a position of authority or substantial influence over the victim.
    (4) The person has not committed another sex offense (as defined in IC 11-8-8-5.2) (including a delinquent act that would be a sex offense if committed by an adult) against any other person.

I'm really not a big fan of these lists and registries, personally-we're far more likely to be injured by a drunk driver, since there are so many more of them- but the lists do exist and until they do not, I'm willing to use what tools I have at my disposal to protect my family.

Blessings,
    Bill

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If he's just doing the "life" thing- going to work, mowing his yard, etc., you might even say "hi" once in a while. He's an acquaintence. He's NOT a friend by any stretch of the imagination. You're not inviting him over for supper, meeting him for a picnic, or trusting him in any way, shape, or form.

How about inviting him to church?

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I guess I must be a bit different. If I saw a car in my neighbor's drive with a couple girls in it that he was talking to, I wouldn't pull in to his driveway to see what was going on. It doesn't sound like you guys know each other or have buddied around, so why pull in like that.

Can you imagine how you would feel if one of those kids turned up missing and you hadn't said anything to anyone? i know I would have a hard time living with myself.

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    good for you. people like that should be shot on site!!!!! i would have no problem doing what you did and would hope someone would do the same for me. i have a 4 year old girl. you never no you probably just kept a child from getting scared for life by this sicko.:yesway:
    we need more people with the back bone to get involved. not to snoop but to keep an eye out for each other and band together to make it safe for our kids. once again good for you!!:rockwoot:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    good for you. people like that should be shot on site!!!!!

I have a hard time understanding how you have no problem with summary execution...

...we need more people with the back bone to get involved. not to snoop but to keep an eye out for each other...

...but apparently have a problem with "snooping".

"By all means, murder the guy, but don't invade his privacy."

Gatlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Great Job!!!! We need to herd all those pervs into their own reservation in the desert so that wont be a menance to defenseless children and law abiding citizens.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Don't ever trust your children's safety to anyone, ANYONE, ANYONE!!!!! You never know what's in their past....their minds....or their future. Ted Bundy was a well educated, polite, smooth talking serial killer. In all honesty, even the guy (or lady) you have lived next door to for 20 years could be capable of ANYTHING. If the opportunity never exists, nothing will ever happen.. Don't give anyone the opportunity....EVER!!!!!

Last edited:

fireman1328

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If you go to the Indiana site that was posted and click on the picture of the offender it will tell you what the charges were and also when they are required to reregister. You can also check the address, if where they live does not match up with the address on the website, they may be in violation. When I looked in our area, there was a guy that was on the local fire dept who was convicted of child solicitation, so I want to Thank whoever posted the website. I never would have guessed that there are so many around my area.

Fire

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    So the guy in question was released seven years ago after serving 23 years in prison for rape and criminal deviate conduct. Suhweeet. Maybe or maybe not a danger to children... I would be more concerned about someone's skewed societal/world view after being incarcerated from the late seventies until 2002.

Funny thing, I clicked on a few other pictures including a guy who lives on the other side of Hague from me in Fishers - his sentence for child molestation?? 4 years probation.

Personally, I would be less worried about your guy, near my work, stalking my children than blowing a gasket over my wife accidentally pulling out in front of him in traffic. Armchair psychology only but when you must protect those within your "circle," that's all you've got.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Funny thing, I clicked on a few other pictures including a guy who lives on the other side of Hague from me in Fishers - his sentence for child molestation?? 4 years probation.

I looked at some of them in my area as well. Child molesters that only got a year or two... then some people worry about hurting their fricking feelings. From what I can see they get off way too easy.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I looked at some of them in my area as well. Child molesters that only got a year or two... then some people worry about hurting their fricking feelings. From what I can see they get off way too easy.

I am not in the least bit interested in their feelings. I'm interested in what gives a person the best chance possible to return to being a productive, functioning member of society rather than a repeat violator. From my perspective, a lot of people seem to want these people to re-offend, simply so they can be re-incarcerated. I think that's a little twisted, but if that's what it takes to make you feel safer, I suppose I can understand the logic.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I am not in the least bit interested in their feelings. I'm interested in what gives a person the best chance possible to return to being a productive, functioning member of society rather than a repeat violator. From my perspective, a lot of people seem to want these people to re-offend, simply so they can be re-incarcerated. I think that's a little twisted, but if that's what it takes to make you feel safer, I suppose I can understand the logic.

Who said they wanted them to re-offend?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Who said they wanted them to re-offend?

Nobody has, at least not in so many words. But it should be obvious that diminishing or disregarding a person's humanity does not incline them toward reform, by which is meant conforming to socio-normative behavioral standards. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that being a social pariah does not produce good things in people; it only takes having attended the average high school.

Anyone who is ostracized by the bulk of society will have a greater risk of socially deviant behavior; those who cannot re-integrate after having offended will be much more likely to re-offend. This is why things like getting a job and becoming involved in some sort of group activity (or not doing so) are decent predictors of recidivism.

So when we have comments and attitudes among "normal" society that say these people should not even be given a chance to re-integrate beyond the most superficial level, what we have is an environment geared most toward having them re-offend, and least toward rehabilitation. And this doesn't even begin to address the dehumanization of things like cavalierly suggesting that they simply be shot on sight. What other conclusion is there, than that people desire (at least subconsciously) for them to re-offend?

Here in Oklahoma City, we have what is called a "redemption church", that is primarily attended by the formerly incarcerated. It's a bit far for me to attend regularly, but I've seen the kind of religion that is brought to the table by those who know they've sinned in some of the worst ways imaginable, and I've never seen anything like it among the average Sunday morning crowd. Some of these folks who "should be shot on sight", summarily executed because we've decided that God is wrong for forgiving them, are far better Christians than those who want nothing to do with them. As Shakespeare said, it's the heretic that makes the fire.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If you take a 13 year old home from a bar and don't have a clue as to her age, you are a really bad judge of character. When I was a joe in Germany, I'd go to bars and nightclubs. It wasn't a big deal to find 14-16 year old girls in there. After about 30 seconds of talking to them, you could get an idea of their age. Generally the less English they spoke, the younger they were.

I'm sorry, but there is no way a 13 year old girl could pull off the maturity of an 18 year old for 3 days. I'm 32 and there is no way I could put up with the maturity level of an 18-20 year old now.

Top Bottom