• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    With my various doctors, I've told them all that there are firearms in the house. But it's always said like so - "We do have firearms in the home, but they are safely secured in such a manner that they pose no threat to anyone, and all members of my household are trained in the safe handling and storage of such." Then onto the next question. I look at it this way. The government already knows I have guns. They've seen the background checks that have gone through on some of my purchases. Time to put the tin foil hat away and get on with life. The only restrictions I have on talking about guns is that my daughter knows that she is not to mention what we have to anyone, police included unless we say it's ok.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    If you OC, there's never much of a question to be asked...
    (Woot Woot... Thread alert... this is NOT an OC issue... dont go there...:horse: )

My Doc knows, and doesn't care... if he did, I would find a new Doctor, and he knows it... We have actually had some very 'educational' discussions after the appointment...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'll go to a doctor when I'm ready to die. That's about all their good for, anyway, LOL...

I'm not a fan of going to the Dr. either. I have been very fortunate with my health, so I don't need to go often...to say that's all they are good for is silly though. Wait until you have a real problem and you'll sing a different tune.

Benny, you have kids. When they are lying about one thing, it makes you wonder what else they are lying about.

Yes, I have a kid, but he still lacks the capability of telling a good lie. lol

Regardless, I don't see how telling a non health issue lie should be considered in how to treat a patient for health issues. HD, I have little to no doubt you are a great guy and I don't mean any offense when I say it's none of your damn business if a patient is a gun owner or not, but it's none of your damn business.

You and I are a lot alike when it comes to being open about gun ownership (as most of us on here are), but everyone is different. It shouldn't dictate in any way how you treat a patient.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    OP goes to doctors office wearing gun items. When asked, he states it's about guns. That led the doctor to ask if you own a gun. People want the doctors to have a personality and interact with them, and then they get all bent out of shape when the doctor engages them about something on their shirt or hat.

if a girl exposes a lot of cleavage and then gets mad when someone looks? I just don't get that either.
    You are so full of :poop:. You know exactly why MOST doctors are asking about the guns and it has absolutely nothing to do with small talk or because the doctor wants a shooting buddy. :rolleyes:

Its the same as you coming to me and I ask how much money is in your bank account...and I aint no banker or how about you come to me and I ask you if there is any gold and silver in the house....Im not a broker either. Your first response after "giving me the funny look will be "I dont believe that is any of "your" business"...if it isnt one of your responses then you are more trusting in this society than I.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You are so full of :poop:. You know exactly why MOST doctors are asking about the guns and it has absolutely nothing to do with small talk or because the doctor wants a shooting buddy. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the flame dude. Re-read OP. The gun question immediately followed the question about his hat. Hence the cleavage comment. I was referring to this particular interaction, not ALL interactions. Relax and think before you go tossing your crap around because it won't be tolerated on my plate.

Last edited:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    *****snip***** "do you own a gun?" I say no. I'm telling the truth because "a" is singular and I own alot more than one!!:rockwoot: ****snip*****

It only works if your fingers are crossed behind your back. Never lie to your doctor. He could give you a heart attack.
    Or you could answer "Yes, I own a gun, but I don't do that work anymore, I could give you a number if ya like."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Me having a gun has NOTHING to do with the checkup.

Paranoid?
    If they ask my bank account number, password, and balance, am I paranoid for refusing to answer?

NO.

None
    of
    their
    business.

Nothing to do with paranoid.
    Everything to do with none of their business.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Me having a gun has NOTHING to do with the checkup.

Paranoid?
    If they ask my bank account number, password, and balance, am I paranoid for refusing to answer?

NO.

None
    of
    their
    business.

Nothing to do with paranoid.
    Everything to do with none of their business.
    So, you do not make small talk with your Dr? If you were wearing your INGO hat or shirt you would deny having guns if asked about it?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, you do not make small talk with your Dr? If you were wearing your INGO hat or shirt you would deny having guns if asked about it?

If I'm shooting the breeze with them, that's one thing.
    Writing down on paper, or computer, another.

And, rarely see docs. When I do I play the part of the puppet.
    "Stand and walk on your toes. On your heels. Touch your fingertips to your nose."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

If I'm shooting the breeze with them, that's one thing.
    Writing down on paper, or computer, another.

And, rarely see docs. When I do I play the part of the puppet.
    "Stand and walk on your toes. On your heels. Touch your fingertips to your nose."

And, the medical center I go to, gives the docs 15 minutes per patient.
    Not much time to get business taken care of, much less **** chat.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    And here I sit having never been to a doctor. I mean I guess I got a tetanus shot about 20 years ago at some clinic, but actual visits to a doctor have never happened. Went to the er and a plastic surgeon as a kid for a nasty cut, but that's it.

Maybe one day, but I can't find a reason to go yet anyway. Plus no medical insurance I suppose is not making me hurry to one lol.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

No (Im there for my medical business and thats it) and Yes (If it was a doctor asking).

*I of course would be polite to the doctor as they introduced themselves and say Hi. Im only a A-hole to certain chosen ones on here! ;)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No (Im there for my medical business and thats it) and Yes (If it was a doctor asking).

*I of course would be polite to the doctor as they introduced themselves and say Hi. Im only a A-hole to certain chosen ones on here! ;)
    I've been going to the same doctor for nine years now, so we do tend to small talk.

The INGO hat was what was described in the OP. Somewhere along the line it was warped into the old Dr asking about guns question. Checking a box on a questionnaire and small talk between me and my Dr and two totally different things. I do not understand the fear of talking guns with a Dr.

For the record, my Dr has never asked about guns for a questionnaire.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That's what I told my Dr. I talk to him about hunting and such all the time, but once it's patient-dr conversation I simply say "defer" he says "we will mark no" and we go on to the next question. I appreciate that he keeps personal & professional relationships separate.

It would seem better if he actually marked defer or marked through the question. Maybe it would send a message at some point that people are refusing to answer, rather than skewing whatever statistics that we know they are gathering.

They ask spiritual affiliation too. I'll go start the thread.

And I would defer on that question as well. If it gets to that point, neither I nor my family will be worried about which denomination of clergy shows up.

Preventative medicine. Storing guns appropriately is proper prevention. Would you guys be less offended if the doctor simply asked if you'd like a pamphlet on the proper storage of guns rather than asking about ownership?

Yeah, I was with you about the OP's hat conversation, etc up to this point. Proper prevention means all kinds of things, and I'm betting most Dr's are less literate on the topic than I am.

I would think the religion question would be for prayer services and the like.

Yep, which if it gets to the point of praying, again, it's a bad day anyway.

Benny, you have kids. When they are lying about one thing, it makes you wonder what else they are lying about.

Yep, but the difference is I AM big brother when it comes to my kids. The DR does not hold that responsibility or authority with me. I don't think that is the analogy you want to draw. I look at it like the income question on surveys, I'm not answering that. But then if one of the first questions someone I don't know well asks me is about whether I own guns, and they have not given me any confidence to speak freely about anything, I will side step the question.

Thanks for the flame dude. Re-read OP. The gun question immediately followed the question about his hat. Hence the cleavage comment. I was referring to this particular interaction, not ALL interactions. Relax and think before you go tossing your crap around because it won't be tolerated on my plate.

If we are holding to the OP's situation with the hat, etc then I understand where you are coming from. Otherwise, I will defer the question. That answer is not a yes and it is not a no, it is a declined to answer, and if there is going to be a question, there should be a declined to answer choice.

Top Bottom