• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I had to go to my doc for a checkup yesterday and was wearing my ACU INGO hat. I already knew that docs may ask about guns, but hadn't been asked by mine yet. So, he comes in and comments about the hat asking were it's from. I tell him Indiana Gun Owners, and he asks "do you own a gun?" I say no. I'm telling the truth because "a" is singular and I own alot more than one!!:rockwoot: I told him I got the hat because I like the camo pattern. Maybe he believed me or not, but I didn't see him quickly typing on his PC after I answered.

I was gonna say that I see a doctor from this forum every now and then, but he already posted in here. :):

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    About whether he has firearms, yes. Tell me how that's even relevant? Tell me how ownership of firearms has anything to do with a visit to a health care professional?

ER doctor or regular doctor? :):

Nothing, but maybe you have something in common and the tin foil's a little too tight?

And what's wrong with: "Sir, that is not relevant to my care today and I'm not going to answer that."?

if I suspect a patient is lying to me that really hurts my ability to help them. It calls everything they say into question. I'd respect them if they say "not relevant" and move on. Lies just cause problems.

That's like pleading the fifth, but people think saying you don't wish to discuss it means, "hell yes I do, but I'm not telling you ****."

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That's like pleading the fifth, but people think saying you don't wish to discuss it means, "hell yes I do, but I'm not telling you ****."

Then ask for a copy of your record later, and if it says "yes", then pitch a fit. If it says "declined", then un-wad ones panties and move on :):

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Why on earth do you guys fear answering that question? I talk guns with every patient who is wearing something from the industry or talks about having land. To think the government is not tracking background checks is laughable. They watch these forums and I'm sure catalogue everything.

this topic comes up all the time and I just don't get it. Bear in mind, if you are prescribed a controlled substance and you have lied to your prescriber it could be a felony. Unlikely to ever happen from the gun issue, but it's in the realm of possibility.

how can you help the cause of gun ownership if you keep denying you even own one :dunno:

Umm because its none of their business. Has absolutely nothing to do with the task at hand.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    OP goes to doctors office wearing gun items. When asked, he states it's about guns. That led the doctor to ask if you own a gun. People want the doctors to have a personality and interact with them, and then they get all bent out of shape when the doctor engages them about something on their shirt or hat.

if a girl exposes a lot of cleavage and then gets mad when someone looks? I just don't get that either.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    My last optometrist (before insurance went to the chain stores) was a shooter, and liked to talk trade with me. His associate likewise.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why even take the chance of it getting in to a medical record? Again...its not relevant to "our" care. How about doctors worry about medical issues ONLY.

Preventative medicine. Storing guns appropriately is proper prevention. Would you guys be less offended if the doctor simply asked if you'd like a pamphlet on the proper storage of guns rather than asking about ownership?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Why on earth do you guys fear answering that question? I talk guns with every patient who is wearing something from the industry or talks about having land. To think the government is not tracking background checks is laughable. They watch these forums and I'm sure catalogue everything.

this topic comes up all the time and I just don't get it. Bear in mind, if you are prescribed a controlled substance and you have lied to your prescriber it could be a felony. Unlikely to ever happen from the gun issue, but it's in the realm of possibility.

how can you help the cause of gun ownership if you keep denying you even own one :dunno:
    Can you digress on the felony part? What can someone be prescribed that having a firearm=a felony? If you need medication for pain, at what point can someone NOT own/carry a firearm? Fentanyl? Percocet? Norco? Not trolling. Serious question. I give all of those almost daily to people, and I have a script for one of them from my appendectomy. Just wondering. :)

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They ask spiritual affiliation too. I'll go start the thread.
    And when the nurse asked me about my religion yesterday, I politely told her, "that's not relevant to anything for which I have come here" and we moved on. I answered the questions about my emergency contact person because that can become relevant if there's an emergency during which I'm incapacitated. There is no conceivable circumstance under which my doctor might make a better or worse medical determination for me based on my religious affiliation. I can see the opposite being the case if a patient were Christian Science or some such, but that is not the case with me, so I refused to entertain the question.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OP goes to doctors office wearing gun items. When asked, he states it's about guns. That led the doctor to ask if you own a gun. People want the doctors to have a personality and interact with them, and then they get all bent out of shape when the doctor engages them about something on their shirt or hat.

if a girl exposes a lot of cleavage and then gets mad when someone looks? I just don't get that either.

A) I don't show a lot of cleavage, so I reserve the right to get pissy if someone stares.

B) I engaged my doctor/nurses in lots of conversation yesterday, including some that lead to uproarious laughter, but it was always about something medicly relevant.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why not just tell the truth in that situation? I've had doctors that would talk guns with me.

Save it. We've been down this road a dozen times here at INGO and all we get on this is paranoia about registries and other stuff.

I'm sick of arguing about this - lie to the doc if it makes you feel superior. :rolleyes: :ingo:

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    And when the nurse asked me about my religion yesterday, I politely told her, "that's not relevant to anything for which I have come here" and we moved on. I answered the questions about my emergency contact person because that can become relevant if there's an emergency during which I'm incapacitated. There is no conceivable circumstance under which my doctor might make a better or worse medical determination for me based on my religious affiliation. I can see the opposite being the case if a patient were Christian Science or some such, but that is not the case with me, so I refused to entertain the question.

I would think the religion question would be for prayer services and the like.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The religion question in the hospital is for the purpose of dispatching a Chaplain to you or if things go poorly for a chaplain to be there when the bad news is given to your family. If the deceased was a Hindu from Pakistan I probably would not be of much help. In the same way a Jewish family may be offended by a Christian Chaplain.

As far as doctors, most do not actually care. I shot rifles with my Doctor in Texas. Most Doctors are usually gathering information for the insurance company. My concern is that the insurance company is using the information to develop a new way to deny coverage or add a financial penalty like they have with smokers.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    And what's wrong with: "Sir, that is not relevant to my care today and I'm not going to answer that."?

if I suspect a patient is lying to me that really hurts my ability to help them. It calls everything they say into question. I'd respect them if they say "not relevant" and move on. Lies just cause problems.

Explain to me how lying about owning a gun could possibly affect your ability to improve their health.

They are there for treatment and check ups. They are only hurting themselves if they lie about a medical question, but asking about gun ownership is none of your ****ing business and shouldn't be asked in the first place. Not that you can't make small talk, but even if you sense they are lying about owning a gun, it shouldn't matter how they answer the pertinent questions.

Top Bottom