• ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    For Indiana LEOs:

A witness points to a man with a gun in a suitcase/backpack/etc. that just killed another man. You and your partner are following the man as we walks along the edge of a very crowded sidewalk. Pedestrians are all around, including behind the suspect.

Obviously, once he pulled the gun, your options are limited. I'm stepping back to before initiating contact with the suspect. How do you apply your training/experience here?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Well at least the cops I saw in the security camera aimed their weapons. The shooter just aimed from the hip like a total ignoramus.

Perhaps they use bullets that penetrate too much for use in the inner city.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    So did I read this right, the perp shot his victim, them calmly started to walk away, but the offered moments later too chase and started firing? Was the per no longer a threat at that point?

The perp was shot 10 times?

Once the threat is neutralized, you stop shooting, as I read it, there was never a reason to shoot in the first place.

Someone will own NYC pretty soon.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Those New Yorkers can make fun of us in "flyover" country all they want, I'm very thankful to live in a state where I can defend myself instead of waiting to get accidentally shot by the police :D

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Well... I doubt any officers will use the "we are trained" argument for a while haha.

Or instead of saying "don't taze me bro" people will say..... Well... You already know haha.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    For Indiana LEOs:

A witness points to a man with a gun in a suitcase/backpack/etc. that just killed another man. You and your partner are following the man as we walks along the edge of a very crowded sidewalk. Pedestrians are all around, including behind the suspect.

Obviously, once he pulled the gun, your options are limited. I'm stepping back to before initiating contact with the suspect. How do you apply your training/experience here?

I'm not a LEO, but lets take a lesson from another LE duty: The high speed vehicle chase/vehicle pursuit.

"Perhaps the most compelling, ongoing, and logical reason for law enforcement’s continued interest in high-speed vehicle pursuits has been its concern in balancing the values of crime control and offender apprehension with ensuring the safety of all parties who potentially might be involved—police officers, suspects, victims, bystanders, and the community.” This balancing test has formed the cornerstone of pursuit policies, training, and practice for the past several decades.

FBI; Evidence-Based Decisions on Police Pursuits

Top Bottom