• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    I've seen allServices here... Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard of course. There are even some Canadian Military here. I have to say that I am happy I had the change to experience this place but I could not live here forever. To vacation here would be great but living here kinda sucks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've seen allServices here... Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard of course. There are even some Canadian Military here. I have to say that I am happy I had the change to experience this place but I could not live here forever. To vacation here would be great but living here kinda sucks.

Can you elaborate a bit on what sucks about it?

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Can you elaborate a bit on what sucks about it?

Sure...
    First are the cold long winters with way too much snow. Shoveling snow gets old real quick. The summer of 2008 was rainy and dreary the whole time when we arrived. The warmest I've seen is mid 60's. Then the winter of 2008 started in early October and we had snow on the ground from then until mid May of 2009. The summer of 2009 was awesome we actually got to camp on 4th of July which was the picture of my truck with the camper. Even then we had to wear sweatshirts though. The sun doesn't go down in the summer until about 2300 and is back up at 0400. Which is good if you can get adjusted to it. The sun in the winter goes down around 1600 and doesn't rise until 1000 so the darkness sucks. It is, of course a touristy place so it gets crowded in the summer time. Crime up here is bad and it's dirty all the time. Anchorage is a dirty crowded town. It's also very, very, very expensive here. And I mean everything is expensive, gas, food, housing, utilities.... Being an outdoors kinda guy I assumed I would love it here with all the hunting and fishing but honestly I enjoy hunting in Indiana much more. It's hard to find a place to hunt that you can drive to here so you are left with fly-in or float hunts which are expensive and very hard work. Try packing 1,000 lbs of moose meat several miles on your back, it is hard work. Everything to see and do is far away and takes hours to get to. Not to mention the threat of animal attacks here. I have been face to face with two black bears, a brown bear/grizzly and countless moose. My wife was 9 months pregnant headed to the mailbox 10 feet from our house when a momma mose with two calfs came out of nowhere and tried to charge her. Luckily she got away but it's scary. All that gets old real quick. Being way up here is also difficult to see family with a plane ticket out of here being $600 plus. Actually I feel more cramped and suffocated here than Southern IN. Of course I didn't like living in Florida either. I do not recommend living in a "vacation" spot. The mountains and beauty here becomes part of the backdrop and I don't even notice it now. Just like the beaches in Florida did. I'm sure some love it, heck I couldn't wait to get here, I've always dreamed of living here. But my fantasy and illusions of this place were just that. It is nothing like I expected. I would visit this place but I can't wait to move away and never live here again.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    A few more pictures...

Small Black Bear
    TriptoAlaska055.jpg

Dall Sheep
    TriptoAlaska071.jpg

Bison
    TriptoAlaska092.jpg

Sitka Deer
    TriptoAlaska144.jpg

30" of snow in 2 days
    DSC00835.jpg

Tunnel out of the front door, over 5' high
    DSC00983.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    My parents went to HI and said it was the same way with the people.. said it was nice but that everything was tourist geard and there was tones of people..... said it was all really expensive and that the locals say that most have to work two jobs to live comfortable....... a gallon of milk is closer to $10 if I remember right though people will give you fruit for free haha, $250k will buy you a shack of a house...

Said the smaller Islands are a lot better but that it is a better vacation destenation... Sounds like Alaska is the same way.

I have heard for the longest time that like you said in AK you pretty much have to fly to do a lot and hunt/fish areas that other people are also not at but I hear the winds off the hills and mountians are brutal and get a lot of people killed.

I have thought about getting some shake in AK in the middle of the woods to hang out at from time to time in the future but know that if I got REALLY hurt, had a stroke, ect ect that I would be hosed.

My grandparents live just SW of Denver and they have bull Elk that come into their subdivison during mating season and said that if you don't keep an eye out and see them before they see you and get to close you will be in a world of hurt.......

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    My parents went to HI and said it was the same way with the people.. said it was nice but that everything was tourist geard and there was tones of people..... said it was all really expensive and that the locals say that most have to work two jobs to live comfortable....... a gallon of milk is closer to $10 if I remember right though people will give you fruit for free haha, $250k will buy you a shack of a house...

Said the smaller Islands are a lot better but that it is a better vacation destenation... Sounds like Alaska is the same way.

I have heard for the longest time that like you said in AK you pretty much have to fly to do a lot and hunt/fish areas that other people are also not at but I hear the winds off the hills and mountians are brutal and get a lot of people killed.

I have thought about getting some shake in AK in the middle of the woods to hang out at from time to time in the future but know that if I got REALLY hurt, had a stroke, ect ect that I would be hosed.

My grandparents live just SW of Denver and they have bull Elk that come into their subdivison during mating season and said that if you don't keep an eye out and see them before they see you and get to close you will be in a world of hurt.......

Yeah I had the dream of buying some land and stuff too until I realized how expensive it is. Of course you can still mark out a claim here ifyou know what that means but all the good land is pretty much taken. The State also sells cheap, and I use cheap loosly, but again it is crap land that is swamp and impossible to access unless you have a boat plane. Maybe 20 years ago it was still the last frontier but it's shrinking and getted crowded just like anywhere else.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Silly question...do the mooses try to get into your house once they get that close or are they just "passing through"?

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Silly question...do the mooses try to get into your house once they get that close or are they just "passing through"?

Funny you should ask. Our neighbor left his garage door open and a moose walked right in then into the house and straight out the back door. Made a mess on the carpet. :D But mainly they are just passing through.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yeah I had the dream of buying some land and stuff too until I realized how expensive it is. Of course you can still mark out a claim here ifyou know what that means but all the good land is pretty much taken. The State also sells cheap, and I use cheap loosly, but again it is crap land that is swamp and impossible to access unless you have a boat plane. Maybe 20 years ago it was still the last frontier but it's shrinking and getted crowded just like anywhere else.

Ih have no problem having a boat plane but would hate to leave some food in it my mistake and have a grizzly get itno it......... that would be a long walk back haha...

I heard one guy had this happen and they bear almost completley tore off the tail....... the guy taped it back up with ductape.......... not sure if that was :bigballs: or :n00b::bash: resulting in possible :stretcher: Apparently he made it out....... Id rather risk a Grizzley attack walking back haha.

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    Nice pictures. We spent our honeymoon in 'Los Anchorage' (Fairbanks nickname for Anchorage). My wife grew up in the Two Rivers area (4 dogs for every person). The boys are still in Fairbanks and we're in Indiana now. I miss the beauty and the wildlife. I don't miss the cold, forest fire smoke, mosquitoes, and cost of living. I really miss the cast of unusual characters that populates the end of the highway. With the exception of a few miles of construction each year, the highway is clear to Fairbanks now. Not anything like 20-30 years ago. Anyway, welcome.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom