• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    IMO the caliber is the biggest weakness of the AR-15. If you want to reliably defeat common barriers, you have to spend over a $1 a round for the tsx or bonded ammo. The 5.56 should have never adopted as a general issue caliber.

Clearly, the ideal combat cartridge should be of the 6mm or 7mm caliber and between 100 gr and 130 gr. While the 7.62 x 39 mm isn't ideal, it is a better round for defeating cars, walls, body parts etc.

Check out the book Misfire about the history the US military has had with poor weapon selection.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Misfire-Story-Americas-Failed-Military/dp/0684193590]Amazon.com: Misfire: The Story of How America's Small Arms Have Failed Our Military (9780684193595): William H. Hallahan: Books[/ame]

It's really unfortuante that the US Military cannot get it's act together, and adopt the SCAR in Murray’s 7 x 46 mm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    IMO the caliber is the biggest weakness of the AR-15. If you want to reliably defeat common barriers, you have to spend over a $1 a round for the tsx or bonded ammo. The 5.56 should have never adopted as a general issue caliber.

Clearly, the ideal combat cartridge should be of the 6mm or 7mm caliber and between 100 gr and 130 gr. While the 7.62 x 39 mm isn't ideal, it is a better round for defeating cars, walls, body parts etc.

Check out the book Misfire about the history the US military has had with poor weapon selection.

Amazon.com: Misfire: The Story of How America's Small Arms Have Failed Our Military (9780684193595): William H. Hallahan: Books

It's really unfortuante that the US Military cannot get it's act together, and adopt the SCAR in Murray’s 7 x 46 mm.

A simple question...do you own a .223 in any form???
    How much have you shot a .223 in any form???

This is not meant to slam or be embarrassing. I am a long time AR owner shooter. Thousands and thousands of rounds sent through the tube on many AR variants. We have punched through all sorts of materials just seeing what these rounds are capable of. Just curious.

gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    I have owned, and have attended carbine courses using 5.56, 7.62x39, and 7.62 NATO rifles. I have also shot a lot of junk with those calibers. The .30 caliber went through barriers better than the 5.56. I have seen that 5.56 will penetrate steel better than the .30 cal due to its high velocity.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have owned, and have attended carbine courses using 5.56, 7.62x39, and 7.62 NATO rifles. I have also shot a lot of junk with those calibers. The .30 caliber went through barriers better than the 5.56. I have seen that 5.56 will penetrate steel better than the .30 cal due to its high velocity.

I have experienced close to the same results. I have seen my .223 punch through some things you would not expect them to get through. A friend has an old farm complete with the farm style country junk yard. It is a haven of shooting old junk cars. You can kill a car with a .223 it just takes a little longer for it to die. I prefer the M-4 or AR-15 for the weight.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    ak i suppose...but if shtf one could say i should just throw rocks...cuz in the u.s. there are lots of rocks laying around everywhere.. i dono

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Small arms were not made to stop cars, there are better tools for that. My 9mm zips through car glass and sheet metal with enough left to kill. Same for my AR and AK.

This thread is so AR15/Glocktalk.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6qWlSB6eOI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6qWlSB6eOI[/ame]

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Do you belong to these certain groups? If not, how do you propose to get ammo from the Russians and the Chinese? Wouldn't they give ammo only to people who would do their bidding?

i think itll be like any other nation thats collapsed the place will be flooded with it.

Top Bottom