• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Ooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhh, I just saw that you have that top one ready for a can!!!!

Yuuup. Got a YHM Ti 308 for it.

if you like the way the ultimak rail looks extending all the way forward, Midwest industries also makes one that does the same thing.

IMG_2513.jpg

496434_03_bulgarian_tactical_ak_74_5_45x_640.jpg

This is the version that allows you to add rail where you want it.

I think samson makes a rail that goes the full length, but it's kinda odd. Your best options are ultimak or MI.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Texas weapon system had a new and exciting rail out but they didn't make past one production run. I pre ordered it, but got dropped. Here is what it looked like...

DSC_0643.jpg

Its on a Vepr, but the idea is the same. You can put rail where you want it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I like the Midwest rail. Too bad the other didn't make it. It's cool too.
    An ak with a can, pure win!

I'm Definitely going with the hinged rear rail. I like my optics mounted further back that the front gas tube. (I don't know now that I look). I might go with the top setup.
    I'm just worried about it being too heavy up front. The only time I ran an AK it didn't have optics.

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Subtle, DIY upgrades are also effective and easy, if you're cool with permanent modifications to your polymer furniture... For instance I stippled my US Palm grip and K-VAR hand guard. I got the idea from some pictures of Jim Fuller's work at Rifle Dynamics.

null_zps15d8dfbb.jpg

null_zps9b2bd764.jpg

While stippling may not be for everybody, it certainly lends a TON of grip. I feel like it makes this AK more maneuverable and more controllable, especially in wet conditions...

While I have gone back to a more traditional look with my other AK's, I'm not a purist by any means. This thread is full of win. So here is my only 'upgraded' AK. It has a Vltor stock tube, Magpul CTR, Tapco G2 trigger, UltimAK gas tube, US Palm grip, K-VAR hand guard, CNC Warrior 4 piece brake, and a home made Vickers-style sling. It's nose heavy, but effective. There is all but no muzzle climb and (while some keyboard operators don't believe it does) the brake really tames the recoil. I love shooting this thing. A light and optic are probably in the future for this gun.

8652ba6e-5be1-40d9-8f42-efcf445538f4_zps3c0cbf19.jpg

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I forgot about the krebs rail...that thing is damn slick...but it does say Kreb$...i'm scared to go to krebscustom and find out the price. NK i dig your stipple work

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    The only reason I prefer the ultimak to the TWS dogleg for non-magnified optics is due to concerns about the robustness of the mount when open. The method for reducing a malfunction caused by debris or a shell casing getting stuck in the receiver is by ripping the top cover off, inverting the rifle and working the charging handle. Then you can just go right back into shooting without the top cover. You can easily open the top cover with the second gen dogleg mount, but I'm concerned that the weight of the top cover along with the attached optic getting ripped open and manhandled under duress could put too much stress on the front hinge pin (it is a rather large lever arm when flopping open), leaving you with a rifle that has no sights at all. I admit, no one has let me try to destroy their rifle in such a manner, so this is just theoretical. Its just a minor concern anyway.

As far as magnified optics go, the TWS seems like the best thing out there.

I was just thinking, the Soviets used the AK74 krinkov with hinged top cover, and I'd assume they were able to clear their stoppages just fine. Despite using their guns with weak hinged covers...

Top Bottom