• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Explosior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Madison County
    Lets be honest, other than ammo, NOTHING is NEEDED for any firearm. No where in my OP did I talk about needing anything. I chose the rifle I wanted and the upgrades I wanted. Wants and needs are two entirely different things. I am not an AK "purest", nor do I care about being an AK purest.
    Also, I said nothing about trigger slap, infact I even described what I feel is the problem with my trigger.
    Information, it's a wonderful thing... but... Thanks for sharing

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I've been running an AK since the only accessories for them was tapco garbage and various eastern bloc work-arounds like awful side mount optics. Back then, the only thing on my rifle was a section of rail for an old incandesent light (as was the style in those days). Today, quality, robust components are available for the AK that offer capabilites that certain users are looking for.

I wonder if AR15 owners ever had a period where people told them all they really needed was carry handle iron sights and milspec plastic handguards. Evolve. Telling people what they need is Joe Biden's job.

Last edited:

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I have the TWS dogleg topcover and the peep site. I like the peep site.

I've been wanting a peep sight for a while now, have a NATO length buttstock'd AK. Just havn't taken the plunge to get the TWS yet, not so much the price but am just a little suspicious of such a radically different sight system for the AK.

If anybody in the Michiana area has one and will let me fondle their gun I'd appreciate it. (I think I read a personal ad that was written the same way)

As far as the trigger, I have a Tapco G2 trigger that is worn in and it has a super light pull, I don't have a trigger gauge to check for sure but it feels to me like 2 pounds.

Last edited:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The only reason I prefer the ultimak to the TWS dogleg for non-magnified optics is due to concerns about the robustness of the mount when open. The method for reducing a malfunction caused by debris or a shell casing getting stuck in the receiver is by ripping the top cover off, inverting the rifle and working the charging handle. Then you can just go right back into shooting without the top cover. You can easily open the top cover with the second gen dogleg mount, but I'm concerned that the weight of the top cover along with the attached optic getting ripped open and manhandled under duress could put too much stress on the front hinge pin (it is a rather large lever arm when flopping open), leaving you with a rifle that has no sights at all. I admit, no one has let me try to destroy their rifle in such a manner, so this is just theoretical. Its just a minor concern anyway.

As far as magnified optics go, the TWS seems like the best thing out there.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I modded a Norinco with the thumbhole stock. I like wood furniture so went with the Ironwood Walnut with extended butt plate. Changed to Tapco trigger (polished it well before installing). I went with Russian optics, quick disconnect side plate and POSP 8 power scope. I know that is overpowered for the 7.62 X 39, but works great for my old eyes! I added a bi-pod, rifle fits me well - suits me fine!

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    This thread is worthless without pics. :)

You all have listed some very cool parts. Lets see em

Ask and ye shall receive (a hasty cell phone pic.)

8708960850_fa527973c8_z.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    The only reason I prefer the ultimak to the TWS dogleg for non-magnified optics is due to concerns about the robustness of the mount when open. The method for reducing a malfunction caused by debris or a shell casing getting stuck in the receiver is by ripping the top cover off, inverting the rifle and working the charging handle. Then you can just go right back into shooting without the top cover. You can easily open the top cover with the second gen dogleg mount, but I'm concerned that the weight of the top cover along with the attached optic getting ripped open and manhandled under duress could put too much stress on the front hinge pin (it is a rather large lever arm when flopping open), leaving you with a rifle that has no sights at all. I admit, no one has let me try to destroy their rifle in such a manner, so this is just theoretical. Its just a minor concern anyway.

As far as magnified optics go, the TWS seems like the best thing out there.

That is a very reasonable concern.

I have found the tws cover to be very solid, but I could see it getting twisted if there was a heavy scope attached to it and it got torqued.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have not gotten the tws handguard or cover and gone with the ultimak.

I have a primary arms micro dot on it right now and like it well enough. I might try some kind of fixed 3x on the ak. I have a primary arms compact 3x laying around unused that I might try out.

AK's are great guns. I just wish you didn't have to rock in the mags. I'm used to AR's and spoiled.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    AK's are great guns. I just wish you didn't have to rock in the mags. I'm used to AR's and spoiled.

With some practice and technique, you can get mag change speed on the AK to within a "real life doesn't happen that fast" worth of difference from the AR.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    My :twocents:

Optics- Mount them in an eccentric mount like the rifle was designed to do. Anything you mount on a gas tube mount (Ultimak) will get hotter than hell. The eccentric mounts are strong, return to zero, stay cool, and allow you to remove the gas tube with ease (very important if you like running commie corrosive ammo). If your going with a western look, you can't beat RS Regulate. If you want to keep it commie, check out the Belarus BP-02 from Kalinka Optics. It sits low, centered, and doubles as a hammer if need be.

This one? 60 bucks plus shipping.

35jge93.jpg

nb6n28.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    This thread is worthless without pics. :)

You all have listed some very cool parts. Lets see em

Here's my Polish Vector, with standard Bakelite lower handgaurd / Ultimak and a Vortex Sparc on top. Light is a Surefire 6P mounted in a VTAC mount:

The Sparc was nice for the money, but the irons weren't visible due to projector being at 6 O'Clock inside the optic. Replaced it with an Aimpoint Micro, much better.
    Here's the same gun with a Midwest Industries rail / US Palm optic specific cover and Burris Fast Fire on top:

Here's the same optic setup on an M&M:

And here's my favorite. Arsenal SGL31-62, with a PK-01V:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I was impressed with the underfolder when you brought it to the build party. Here are a couple of mine for some ideas.

picture.php

Atacs dipped, TWS top cover, Ultimak tube, krebs safety, Uspalm mag and grip.

picture.php

Draco SBR

TWS top cover, Ultimak tube/handguard, Krebs saftey, krebs offset grip.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the TWS top cover or the ultimak tube is that neither of them add weight. Both replace a heavy steel part with lighter weight aluminum, adding zero poundage to an already heavy rifle. The added rail pieces equal the original weight of the steel part. I have since sold the Ultimak railed handguard as that actually added weight over the weight of the plastic handguard. Ultimak and TWS make great stuff. As far as rail systems go i think the lightest lower + upper handguard is the midwest industries. I had the original version without a UsPalm mount and sold it as it wouldn't cowitness...had i known then what i know now, i would have kept it, got the T-1 top cover, an angled foregrip and totally and unapologetically bit off of tradertators style with his underfolder

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Vitamink, those are sick bro!!! I think besides the stock, (im going collapsible) that top one of yours is exactly what I would like to do to the one we talked about that I'm threading. I like whatever lower hand guard you have on that with the magpul afg.
    On the SBR I love how the lower rail extends to the front!

Top Bottom