• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I haven't found a gun yet I didn't like, and I do love my AR. But I have a couple AK's as well and love them just as much. I'm not much on tapco either, I like them the way they came as far as AK's go. :)

Farley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Bartholomew County
    Love my AK...goes bang every single time no questions asked. Had a buddy at Knob Creek get his so hot the wood furniture was smokin, but it was (and is) still goin bang. Gotta love the AK if the SHTF that's a go to gun for me! I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a Draco but just haven't convinced myself it's worth the money. I think it would look nice sitting next to my under folder AK and since it shoots the same round that's a bonus. I've also been looking at AR's but there so expensive...I think I'd rather throw my money into a SIG 556R that way I don't have to stock up on multiple calibers.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    More companies are making quality aftermarket parts for the AK's. Krebs customs has a not production AK chambered in 6.5 that shoots MOA. Go to You Tube and check out the Military Arms channel. Full-Auto tests a lot of AK aftermarket rails, stocks, grips, etc. My AK is my go to rifle!

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a Draco but just haven't convinced myself it's worth the money. I think it would look nice sitting next to my under folder AK and since it shoots the same round that's a bonus. I've also been looking at AR's but there so expensive...I think I'd rather throw my money into a SIG 556R that way I don't have to stock up on multiple calibers.

Get the Draco so you can swap out mags with the underfolder as well as ammo :yesway:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Will the AK ever be as accurate as the AR - probably not.
    It already is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhAcUNjBrNE

I've seen the future of match grade AK's. I've shot it several times. I've fallen in love and when Marc has it finished, I will be his first customer.

Several big retailers have told me that AK's out sell AR's these days.

AK's are outstanding rifles and Americans are just starting to realize it. But when things go sideways, I know what I'll reach for... it will be one of my AK's.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I think if S ever HTF, my AR will be useful for short term, but more extended catastrophes will require the AK's duty.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i need to get me another ak, never had any problems with it. Do you guys have a lot of issues with your ar's? If shtf i think i would gladly take either.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    I think what's helping to bring out the market in AK's is the rise in available accessories for them. Most guys have the same disease I have "can'tleaveitaloneitis", so whether it's their car, home theater, or their guns, they just love to add stuff to it.

DSC00849.JPG

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    It is an "image" thing for me. I've owned an AK, SKS, and a few AR's. I sold my AK and SKS years ago. I love the look of a straight up AK with ALL wood furniture.:cool: I hate the plastic look on an AK, even the plastic grip that the WASR guns come with.

That being said, since 9/11, I can't get past the "image" that an AK represents. Every time I see one, I picture piece of sh*t terrorists holding it and it just has ruined the look of what I once thought was a beautiful gun. I know it isn't the gun's fault, as it is truly a nice simple firearm. I also know that allies and other good guys fight with them in the name of Peace. But it is just a terrorist image that I hate that fills my head anymore.:(

AR's just represent the US Military in my mind. Good men and women putting it all on the line every day. Freedom in an F-ed up world. I'm on an AR buying binge lately too, so that my sway my current state of mind.;)

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    ive got an ak and sks because i got good deals on them and i love the round, id like to have an AR but i dont because they are just not practical for their price point, definatly on my list though

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I will use whatever is on hand and make it work in a SHTF situation.

But if I can choose, I want my AK. It was designed for SHTF combat operations, not target matches.

The cost of a basic AK and the ammo to feed it, makes it a very tough competitor in the firearms market.

Marc Krebs was in the last Guns and Ammo AK Mag edition. He knows how to make the AK platform produce more than acceptable combat accuracy.

I see the American AK market growing more each day. There are many American inventors/innovators working hard in the AK accessories market.

There are more American custom AK rifle gunsmiths than ever today.

I don't know about the AK taking over, but I think it is taking a place along side of American rifle design.

Last edited:

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I like the AK and the AR, in the long run I plan on buying both but the cost of the AK has a better entry price for me. And guessing I am not alone in that choice

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Having owned a myriad of AKs and a Saiga, they CAN be the equal of an AR with skill.

Example: I had an Arsenal SLR016FR. With a Millet DMS1 on the top and handloaded 75gr .223, it COULD get MOA (yes, 1" at 100 yards). But VERY slow fire.

I currently have a Yugo SKS that with the gas shut off, handloaded ammo, I can get 1.5-2 MOA ALL DAY.

Had a WASR that could do 2 MOA with a decent telescopic. Garbage ammo too. But slowfire and no caffine.

Given how I see alot of AR guys shoot (competition and varmint shooters do not apply), off hand, 100 yards, irons or telescopic, they are the same rifle. I have a strong belief that AKs get a bad rap as the market is flooded with garbage ones (CIA WASRs) in terms of accuracy and fitment, but also that most folks that buy an AK want a rifle they will put a mag through every year and that's it : Read: NON SHOOTERS. Their lower cost makes them attractive to folks that may not have a lot of skill or want to shoot very much. Nothing wrong with that.

Offhand shooting, not bench, I firmly believe the AK will do fine with average shooters. Trained shooters, alot better, but the AR still has the accuracy edge. Cost is where it's at: Pay $1K for an AK or an AR, you are getting a fine rifle.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It is an "image" thing for me. I've owned an AK, SKS, and a few AR's. I sold my AK and SKS years ago. I love the look of a straight up AK with ALL wood furniture.:cool: I hate the plastic look on an AK, even the plastic grip that the WASR guns come with.

That being said, since 9/11, I can't get past the "image" that an AK represents. Every time I see one, I picture piece of sh*t terrorists holding it and it just has ruined the look of what I once thought was a beautiful gun. I know it isn't the gun's fault, as it is truly a nice simple firearm. I also know that allies and other good guys fight with them in the name of Peace. But it is just a terrorist image that I hate that fills my head anymore.:(

AR's just represent the US Military in my mind. Good men and women putting it all on the line every day. Freedom in an F-ed up world. I'm on an AR buying binge lately too, so that my sway my current state of mind.;)

What about the major drug cartels that buy M16's?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Having owned a myriad of AKs and a Saiga, they CAN be the equal of an AR with skill.

Example: I had an Arsenal SLR016FR. With a Millet DMS1 on the top and handloaded 75gr .223, it COULD get MOA (yes, 1" at 100 yards). But VERY slow fire.

I currently have a Yugo SKS that with the gas shut off, handloaded ammo, I can get 1.5-2 MOA ALL DAY.

Had a WASR that could do 2 MOA with a decent telescopic. Garbage ammo too. But slowfire and no caffine.

Given how I see alot of AR guys shoot (competition and varmint shooters do not apply), off hand, 100 yards, irons or telescopic, they are the same rifle. I have a strong belief that AKs get a bad rap as the market is flooded with garbage ones (CIA WASRs) in terms of accuracy and fitment, but also that most folks that buy an AK want a rifle they will put a mag through every year and that's it : Read: NON SHOOTERS. Their lower cost makes them attractive to folks that may not have a lot of skill or want to shoot very much. Nothing wrong with that.

Offhand shooting, not bench, I firmly believe the AK will do fine with average shooters. Trained shooters, alot better, but the AR still has the accuracy edge. Cost is where it's at: Pay $1K for an AK or an AR, you are getting a fine rifle.

I agree 100%. I have a Maadi ARM, and at 100 yards, I shoot it just as accurately as my M4.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom