• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Is it me or do you notice that there are more threads about AK, SKS, Saiga, etc than AR showing up? Will the AK ever be as accurate as the AR - probably not. It seems that AR is not the only dog in town. When it comes to guns - diversity is a good thing.:ar15:

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I love my AK......it was one of my first firearms and one that stays off the table when considering trades. I dont see anything wrong with the AR, I just like the way my AK looks and the fact I know it will always go "bang"! :rockwoot:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think the AK has ever lacked in popularity as a rifle. Where it looses ground to the AR is in the aftermarket accessories. The AR's have more options for rails, lights, lasers, and any other thing someone wants to attach to their rifle. Makes the AR more of a personalized play thing.

I'm an AR guy and I'm setup for them. Having said that, as soon as I hear a politician start talking seriously about gun control again I will be picking up some AK's.

It's just a cycle. It won't be too much longer and people will start to remember the "good old days" and be talking more about garands and m1a's.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    For me, it was a matter of price. For the price of an AK and all the accessories I've got on mine, I couldn't buy a basic AR. And since I'm left-handed, the AK ergonomics work out better for me than an AR's would.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    AK thoughts

The AK is the epitome of a mass produced rifle. They have been made for decades by just about everybody, everywhere, in huge numbers. The design makes them reliable and cheap to make. The numbers produced make them cheap to buy. The only down side, if there is one, is that they were never intended to be a very accurate gun. For some shooters this is a game stopper. For many, many others, it makes no difference. If your game is hitting a man-sized target out to several hundred yards with a gun which is inexpensive to procure, relatively inexpensive to feed, and packs an adequate punch, the AK is a good deal. It's history may add some appeal as well. For just about any other shooting discipline there are better options.

While I recognize and admire Mr. Kalashnikov's design for it's intended purpose, the AK just doesn't fit my purposes. Otherwise, I'd probably have one. :)

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I like them all, and I feel that each has a slightly different niche in the market. Basically, they're all pretty good at what they are designed to be. I've got an SKS, an AR and as of last month a draco that will be SBR'd when I get the papers back. I think it's no different than having the right tool for a given circumstance, each has a role and those roles may differ slightly, but each are effective in their given role. Spread the love, buy 'em all.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Did someone say AK? ;)

Battle Tested - Affordable - Reliable - Beautiful

Don't have one? Get one!

Don't want one? Stop lying to yourself!

Have one? Then you know what I'm talking about.

hanging.png

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have an AR and an SKS...AK is next on my list....the AR came first for me...had to have it so I could play big boy lego's. Picked up the SKS on a whim cuz it was 200$ ...figured I could get out of it quick if I didn't like it....it quickly became a keeper...but it will stay wood stock, 10 round box mag and bayonet...the AR is MY black rifle. WHEN I get my AK it will be wood as well...I have nothing against tapco, its just not for me. Besides the SKS and AK are pretty much related...same ammo...I may have to add a draco too...hmm...see what ya started

Top Bottom