gas tube has been machined specifically for the standard Saiga .308
    Surefire 20 rd mag

Vector Arms SSR 85 Bulgy kit *US Armory Global Trades* receiver

Ultimak Gas Tube
    Modified Tapco Galil hand grip
    Tapco Saw Pistol Grip/ T-6 buttstock
    Tapco G2 Trigger
    USA birdcage FH

I really like the Saiga .308, great work! What's recoil and muzzle rise like with that set-up?

A .308 AK blends a lot of the best features of a lighter weight (dare I say "assault") rifle, with additional punch of a heavier .30 caliber round, in a bit more cost effective package than and AR10 platform.

Not that I wouldn't really like an AR10, of course. :ar15:

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    I really like the Saiga .308, great work! What's recoil and muzzle rise like with that set-up?

Not that I wouldn't really like an AR10, of course. :ar15:

Not too bad.. Here is some video of me just being a knucklehead doing a mag dump on a 14 deg day..
    The FH does a wonderful job! It's a lot more steady when I ain't goofin' around.. To be honest.. the primary difference is about 20-30 cents a round!!! Plus you can shoot cheap BAD corrosive underpowered ammo.. all day long with AK reliability!!!

Do that with an AR 10....:popcorn: (Sorry.. I ride for the brand!!LOL!!)

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    10523_1143554473996_1381519105_30327491_7029743_n.jpg

Saiga converted by Tac 47 Ind. originally for a Charity raffle for our church teen group... Who knew charity raffles were illegal!! :(
    I may just pay it off and keep it....

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    100_2810.jpg

Somewhat recent family photo from top:
    Chinese .22 pellet gun. Granted not an AK but designed to be similar with same style folder as Chinese AKs. Plus the sights are the same as my MAK90. Makes a good plinker/pest control and will probably be the first trainer I use for children.

Next is a WASR10/63 with a Romanian side folder (my favorite of the sidefolders next to the AK100s). Bought it as a project gun and did the little stuff to make it better like enlarging the mag well, reducing mag wobble. Front sight was canted but not bad enough that it couldn't be zeroed with front sight windage.

Then Century Bulgarian AK74 parts kit on a NODAK receiver/ U.S. barrel. Picked this up really cheap and a lot of guys were mad it didn't come with the original chrome lined barrel. What do you expect for $350 before FFL fee? It is a true 5.45 barrel so it shoots fine and I'm sure to clean it when I shot the cheap surplus stuff. Overall it is nicer than then WASRs in fit and finish.

Next down is my .22 plinker, an Armscor AK-22 that has had an airsoft AK74 stock and grip grafted to it (and since then the handguard has been painted black and I think it looks pretty good!) It sees a lot of use when I get out to MCF&G.

Next is my go to gun for the past 16 years, my MAK90. I 922r'ed it and threaded it for the Phantom flash hider. It also has a Blackjack SWIFT lever in the picture, but I'm considering taking it off for commonality and I really don't have that much problem using an AK safety.

Bottom is my airsoft trainer clone of the MAK90. It is pretty handy and cheap to shoot in my garage. It has a custom computer controller in it that among other things, requires the bolt to be cycled on empty reloads (not on tactical) and simulates malfunctions.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I've got the same handguards and stock...love the more 'rifle' feel it gives since its semi-auto
    Yeah, I though I'd like the AR style stock, but it just didn't feel right. This one feels good. Notice the MK1 bayonet? just a little work with the dremel tool and it fit nicely:) same dremel tool made it possible to still use the cleaning rod w/the fibre-force forearm grips....

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Which AK do most of you think is generally best shooting and most well made?

wow, thats pretty open ended question! ;)

All things being equal, an AK is an AK is an AK. They are built to run, and most of them, even the cheap Century ones, do just that.

I personally like Bulgarian, Russian, and Chinese built AK variants. But there are so many out that I dont have direct experience with that are known to be good. Hell, even the Romanian WSAR-10s are pretty decent. They are at the bottom of the 'build quality' scale, but they go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom