• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Switched out the saiga mount on my NPZ PO4x24 to a standard AK mount, moving the scope forward about 2 inches, and allowing you to easily use the iron sights through their full adjustment range.

Also got a handful of ribbed steel 20 round mags. That makes 11 magazines total for this thing.

Saiga 308 after all my handy work:
    j3qbc.jpg

The AK on steroids.

Jealous of that red dot. Nice looking rifle! Quick question: If you cock the hammer, put the safety on, and pull the trigger, does your hammer drop when you flip the safety off? This was my experience with a SAIGA 308 I recently helped convert.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The safety is fully functional, I made absolutely sure when doing it.

Also, I went with the standard rusky grip, because my hands are smaller than a men's small glove. It fits my hand much better than most grips.

It could stand to be a little wider but the profile is perfect. I also need a cheek rest of some kind that can be moved out of the way when not needed.

I should put a muzzle device on and eventually regular AK forend and sling mounts. I'm trying to keep it as light as possible for what it is. Idealy, I'd like to chop the front sight and mount it to the gas block, making for a krink style front sight, then have the barrel threaded with a standard 74 style brake. It's just so damn loud as is, I'm a little nervous about any brake, maybe some linear type brake would help my ears seek rest.

Unloaded, it weighs the same as any normal AK with a scope.

Last edited:

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    Jealous of that red dot. Nice looking rifle! Quick question: If you cock the hammer, put the safety on, and pull the trigger, does your hammer drop when you flip the safety off? This was my experience with a SAIGA 308 I recently helped convert.

I had a pistol that was doing that. I ended up replacing the sear and hammer. The edge of the sear was chipped and the hammer was not re-seating properly.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    Lol.. Actually, I appreciate your knowledge of 922r. I could have gotten myself in serious trouble there, but since I have the Tapco G2 already (for the conversion), all is well!

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Saiga 308 after all my handy work:
    j3qbc.jpg

The AK on steroids.[/QUOTE]

:rockwoot: Nice!!

Now get a utg recoil/ext pad and fit your self a VEPR 308 muzzle break!!!!!
    308-1.jpg

I sense a future purchase for myself;)
    Oh,, ya selling that red dot :]

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thanks but I'll stay a few miles clear of anything made by UTG. It's already a NATO length stock, it doesn't need extended any further for my small build.

Now a tabuk brake would be cool.

And no, I'm holding onto the PK-AS. If I end up with an arsenal slg31 in the near future, I need something to put on it.

Lol.. Actually, I appreciate your knowledge of 922r. I could have gotten myself in serious trouble there, but since I have the Tapco G2 already (for the conversion), all is well!

I know gun forums love to play up 922r like it's the most serious and often enforced law on the books, but it's a non-factor unless you commit a crime with the weapon, or give any reason for that to come up.

They can inspect it all they like, you could have engraved "made in USA" on any of those parts, and suddenly they become US made.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can finally post in the AK-47 [STRIKE]talking[/STRIKE] picture thread. Newest addition to the family:

DSC03290.jpg

DSC03291.jpg

DSC03292.jpg

DSC03296.jpg

DSC03295.jpg

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Here's one of mine I refinished in Romanian Red (ok....not really; it's Krylon Cherry Red). it's a WASR 10/63 GP and it's far and away the favorite of my AK's. When I got it, it was gunked-up in grease and crud in the action but the bore was mirror shiny. I detail stripped it and degreased/cleaned it. After approx 3000 trouble-free rounds, it's silky smooth, loud, and dead-sexy in the red warpaint. I had a US Palm grip on it prior to the paint job but I decided it looked a little out of place on a red AK so I switched back to the stock grip.

I have two other 10/63's that are plain wood and my wife is always on me to refinish those as well. She likes the white (snow camo) Savage 110 I did and she thinks it would be cool to do the other two WASR's, one in blue and one in white, to have a red, white and blue trio. Blue might be cool but I'm not sure I'd like a white AK.

15i7wg5.jpg

2ytppao.jpg

Top Bottom