• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    To Rat-man,

What about a Saiga .410?

It might seem a bit extreme but it should be less than eight (8) pounds fully loaded.

The recoil should be minimal and a round can be chambered and kept on safety.

I haven't fired one but have been looking at the Saiga 12 guage for myself.

Plus it could have a good intimidation factor that may avoid even having to pull the trigger.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Doug

Saiga 410's might work just fine, if the people in question can handle a long gun. I had one for a while. While a lot of "professional operators" laughed - I didn't have any volunteers to get on the wrong side of it!

And I had an S12 as well....

For a handgun - trigger pull / hand strength would be the big issue.

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    I agree on the choice of an LCR for defensive use. I wish they came in a 3 inch barrel. I had a S&W mdl 642 Centennial in 3" and it was very accurate. However, the trigger pull in DA was too much for my wife. The LCR has a much smoother trigger pull.

This is very good info echoed by others as well. Thank you again. As I've said, I have some shopping to do.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    I like the folks response leaning toward a 22LR. Let a non-shooter shoot a Walther P22 for instance then pretty much any 38 revolver - and I think they would likely pick up the P22 again - or be able to take more than one shot. The sound of any round will hopefully deter. I am aware of the ballistic limitations - but biggets consideration would be shooters comfort in this scenario.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Looking for any practical, experienced suggestions for a home defense weapon for my aging parents. Both in their 60s, dad is disabled and mom is a frail and slight woman.

Odd behavior by a guy driving a lawn care truck stopped out on the street in front of their house today, and all I could practically suggest to my mother was a .22LR pistol that my wife had at the house. She's not strong enough to rack the slide of my PPQ 40.

I'm obviously leaning towards revolver, something that has enough stopping power and isn't going to leap out of my mother's hands. I've only ever fired single-action 45 colt revolvers, I have no concept of how much a .38 kicks, though I guess it would depend on the wheel gun.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Don't get them a snubbie. Get at least a 4" barrel, a little weight on the gun will absorb a lot of recoil.

My S&W 66 shoots extremely soft with .38 special rounds in it.

Top Bottom