• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't want it to be too heavy, but I also don't think a snub nose is necessary.

Ruger LCR is a possibility, but it's so lightweight I wonder how it would kick compared to say a SP101.

I know of no handgun more difficult to use and control than a lightweight, snubnose revolver.

They don't just kick, they are downright miserable to shoot even with modest ammo.

It would be a VERY bad idea to give a little old lady a small frame revolver.

Stick to a medium frame, 3-4" revolver in .38 special if it must be a revolver.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would recommend a .357 with a 4" barrel, then have her try it out (dry fire) to see if the trigger pull is to heavy. Might have to have some work on the trigger by a gunsmith to smooth out and lighten it. Load it with 38 Spl. Hornaday critical defense rounds. The reason I recommend a .357 is that they are a heavier gun and really reduce the recoil with 38 spl. If you could find one I have a Colt King Cobra - they all have adjustable triggers. May be some others out with the same feature, I don't know.
    Might pay to have her accompany you when you purchase one. Let her hold it to make sure she can grip and handle it before you invest the money. A good gun shop probably can fit new grips for her - may even find a great gun for her to use.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Beretta Tomcat, tip up barrel, easy shooter.

Depending on upper body strength, perhaps a fairly light 20g shotgun wouldn't be out of the question. You know your folks better than I do, but there are lots of nice side by sides out there that are pretty cheap to buy. Just make sure they have the hand strength to activate the lever to open the action. 20g will do the job just fine, and at significantly less recoil than a 12g, plus you don't have to worry about short stroking or the like with a pump.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Rat-man,

What about a Saiga .410?

It might seem a bit extreme but it should be less than eight (8) pounds fully loaded.

The recoil should be minimal and a round can be chambered and kept on safety.

I haven't fired one but have been looking at the Saiga 12 guage for myself.

Plus it could have a good intimidation factor that may avoid even having to pull the trigger.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Doug

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    Whoa.... I used to be one of those "lawn guys". Odds are very good the guy was just checking and organizing his route. Doing paperwork and talking to his home base. Don't hit the panic button just yet. That said, I'm a fan of 3 and 4 inch .357s with a light .38 load. Hey man, at close range a hole's a hole.

Dude was pulled over with his flashers on, blocking their driveway. Then I signaled and pulled in to pick up my daughter and take her to nursery school, and he moved forward 30 feet. Instantly set off my creep vibe. And my folks would probably be considered easy targets. :shady:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've fired a friends Judge, and like the S&W Governor as well, but just seems too much in all categories for my mom I think, but perhaps I need to take a second look. Never considered this for their use.

I think the suggestion of a .357 revolver loaded with .38 is probably the best route, I was thinking 3" barrel maximum.

The suggestion of a .410 or 20ga wouldn't be bad as a supplemental, don't know how well my mom could handle it either however. Looks like I need to take her shopping. :ar15:

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I went though this a few months back with my grandmother, she is 81. She doesn't have much strength in her hands, and couldn't pull the DA trigger on a .22lr she has had for 50+ years, and wanted a little bit more. She couldn't handle a .38, so i went with a .22 mag., but she had a hard time with the trigger on that also, so a few springs replaced, a polish job, and now she has no problem. I bought he the Hornady critical defense rounds, and she's pretty good with it now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The suggestion of a .410 or 20ga wouldn't be bad as a supplemental, don't know how well my mom could handle it either however. Looks like I need to take her shopping. :ar15:

I think you'd be surprised how many easy shooting, and reasonably light, guns are out there in 20g. Stoeger even makes one specifically as a home defense model, ported barrel, fiber optic sight, rails for a light, etc. The rise in popularity of cowboy action shooting lead to something of a boom market (pardon the pun) in side by sides a few years back, and there's plenty of reasonably priced ones on the market.

Last time I was down at Orien Arms they had racks of sub $200 used 20g doubles.

Viking Queen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Colorado
    I am a "little old lady" - in my 60's, and have arthritis and carpel tunnel issues in my strong hand. I purchased the RugerLCR 38 special due to the easy trigger pull. I do not have any issues controling the recoil on it, just took a little practice, but I am not frail, just have some hand strength issues.

The LCR does now come in a .22 version, so you might find that to be acceptable for her as the recoil would not be so strong. It's light weight, easy to use, and has a very nice trigger. Maybe find a range that would have one for rent so they could try it out before buying. At the very least, have Mom try dry firing an LCR so she could get the feel of the trigger pull.

I have never, for a minute, regretted my decision on the LCR. With the right choice of some specialized home defense ammo this might also be a good choice for your Mother.

Best of Luck! Viking Queen

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    A 3 or 4" .357 loaded with .38 would be great. Give the trigger a little work if needed.

I think you'd be surprised how many easy shooting, and reasonably light, guns are out there in 20g. Stoeger even makes one specifically as a home defense model, ported barrel, fiber optic sight, rails for a light, etc. The rise in popularity of cowboy action shooting lead to something of a boom market (pardon the pun) in side by sides a few years back, and there's plenty of reasonably priced ones on the market.

Last time I was down at Orien Arms they had racks of sub $200 used 20g doubles.

Sweet baby jeebus that is the ugliest shotgun I'd ever seen (until Mossberg one upped them). I've got a Stoeger 20g coach gun that I absolutely love but until they're broken in, I wouldn't recommend one for a small/frail older person as all that I've handled have seemed almost excessively tight.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Looking for any practical, experienced suggestions for a home defense weapon for my aging parents. Both in their 60s, dad is disabled and mom is a frail and slight woman.

Odd behavior by a guy driving a lawn care truck stopped out on the street in front of their house today, and all I could practically suggest to my mother was a .22LR pistol that my wife had at the house. She's not strong enough to rack the slide of my PPQ 40.

I'm obviously leaning towards revolver, something that has enough stopping power and isn't going to leap out of my mother's hands. I've only ever fired single-action 45 colt revolvers, I have no concept of how much a .38 kicks, though I guess it would depend on the wheel gun.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If it's truely suspicous behavoir.
    1-Call 911.
    2-Make sure the door is locked.
    3-make them understand to NOT open the door if they don't know the person.
    4-don't just hand her a gun and consider it done. She needs to train and then train some more.

DAO trigger...not a good idea. Find something she can actually pull the trigger on. She doesn't a need to "rack the slide" On a semi auto. It should be loaded and ready for her to use.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I purchased the RugerLCR 38 special due to the easy trigger pull. I do not have any issues controling the recoil on it, just took a little practice, but I am not frail, just have some hand strength issues.

I have never, for a minute, regretted my decision on the LCR. With the right choice of some specialized home defense ammo this might also be a good choice for your Mother.

Best of Luck! Viking Queen

I know a very petite young lady with a LCR in .38 special. The the trigger was the selling point, and her significant other raves on how smooth and crisp the trigger is.

There is some .38 special Self-Defense ammo that is low recoil.

recon72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I work at a shop, and many women, particularly older women, prefer the trigger pull of the Ruger LCR. Lightweight low grain 38 specials would be sufficient for the job.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I agree on the choice of an LCR for defensive use. I wish they came in a 3 inch barrel. I had a S&W mdl 642 Centennial in 3" and it was very accurate. However, the trigger pull in DA was too much for my wife. The LCR has a much smoother trigger pull.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    My mother is 72 years old and has a nice Ruger in .357. The only problem I can think of is if Your mother can handle the trigger pull on a double action as opposed to being able to pull back a hammer. My mother's is hammerless so she has to fire double action. I doubt every older person would be able to handle the pull.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My mother is 72 years old and has a nice Ruger in .357. The only problem I can think of is if Your mother can handle the trigger pull on a double action as opposed to being able to pull back a hammer. My mother's is hammerless so she has to fire double action. I doubt every older person would be able to handle the pull.
    This. Factor in age, infirmity and loss of strength in the hands (as well as arthritis) and a gun with a hammer is really a no brainer for them.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    In all honesty, I'd suggest something similar but a bit different.

A revolver in 45acp or 45LC. Preferably a smith 625.

To me, they're much more comfortable than a 38 special.

Top Bottom