• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Not trying to jack her thread but , I recall seeing something on History channel about 2012 being the year scientists think the sun will spazz and create a lot of solar storms .

Most of the hype is about December 21, 2012, which is the date the Mayan calendar ends. The first question any scientist asks is about causality: how can the end of the calendar of an ancient people have any effect on the physical world? Of course, the answer is that it can't.

Astronomers can accurately predict many events in 2012. The most interesting astronomical events in 2012 will be an annular eclipse of the Sun on 2012 May 20, a total eclipse of the Sun on 2012 Nov 13, and a transit of the planet Venus across the face of the Sun on 2012 Jun 06.

Scientists don't expect anything out of the ordinary to happen in the year 2012, or specifically on the date December 21, except for the solstice, which happens every year.

None of the "predicted" happenings for 2012 hold up under close scrutiny. "Planet X" and "Nibiru" simply don't exist. The Mayan calendar ends a cycle, but contains no predictions of the end of the world. The Sun doesn't line up with the galactic centre; it's 6 degrees off. No asteroids or comets are actually predicted to hit Earth.

All of this stuff was put together by crackpots in order to promote their books and TV shows, and shamelessly promoted by the History Channel. Don't take any of it seriously!

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Well, Rachel, I know this thread's been gone for two days... but I noticed you rebuffing the idea of taking self-defense classes. I would strongly urge you reconsider that decision. Many LEO's take self defense and martial arts classes regularly, I know quite a few that hold black belts in at least one or two different forms of martial arts. The reason? Because a gun isn't everything.

As was stated earlier, "A pistol is a good way to getting your rifle." It's a statement that is pretty logical. I'd rather shoot someone with my AR-15 than my CZ75. Will I always have that opportunity? No. Sometimes I'll just have to shoot 'em dead with the pistol. But likewise, will I always have the opportunity to get out my pistol? No. In that case, I'd better know what I'm doing with my hands at least as much as I know what I'm doing with my pistol, otherwise I won't even be able to get to my pistol.

Another reason that it may be good for you, especially in your situation, is because it shows that you're serious about self-defense and the defense of your family. You're not just insuring your life to a piece of metal that shoots a smaller piece of metal. You're insuring your life to your personal capabilities. Now, you and I both understand the amount of dedication it requires to become an accomplished marksman, and to hit what you're aiming at. You probably have considered taking classes that focus on self-defense with your pistol (if not, I'd recommend it). That may not be readily apparent to your mother and sister. However, if you combine that with your dedication to other forms of self-defense, it will likewise compound the seriousness in which they take you. It shows them that you're not just getting a gun, but you're investing in protection of all sorts.

All of that aside, martial arts are just a good way to get--and stay--in shape in the first place. They're fun, especially if you find a martial art that fits your lifestyle and personality, and you'll usually meet some cool people.

I don't have much to add to the rest of what's been said, they seem to be rather intelligent posts. I'd stress that you're probably not through the storm yet, and you'll probably have to sit through some more comments that are made in your presence, while maybe not directly to you. Best thing to do is just ride it through. Like it's been said, arguing with them can turn them to your way of thinking, but it can just as easily turn them against you.

They just have to understand that you're doing what's right for you, and that is the most important point. You can try to do right by them, but you must do right by yourself. You seem to have that mindset, and that is definitely good. They'll eventually learn that you're serious about the matter, and that you are the one that's more knowledgeable about the subject than they are, especially if you study it enough to prove that fact. Most fear-mongering is done by those who do not know, but think they do. The best defense to nonsense is sense, it's really that simple. What they don't know and you know makes the whole difference in the world.

closer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    indy
    The responsibility of protecting yourself and your child is yours and should not be a matter of anyone else's opinion. I have a friend with far left inlaws and wife. He couldn't have a bee bee gun in the house. I asked her what she would do if they had a home invasion? She said call the police! Oh yea, just a moment rapist, thief, murderer I need to make a call... right.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    At the end of the day, a carry gun won't guarantee that you survive a bad situation...but is sure as heck improves the odds considerably! That's my wife's take on carrying and it is really hard to argue with her logic.

With respect to someone taking the gun and using at against you, the likelihood of that happening lessens every single time you train with the weapon and develop the confidence and skillset to act quickly if (heaven forbid) you ever needed to. Whether it's in martial arts, boxing, fistfights or gunfights, hesitation or a lack of confidence is what typically gets people hurt. Knowing the gun and being comepltely confident in your handling and use of it will eliminate the hesitation that would exist for someone who shot 50-rounds through a gun in the 5-years they owned it.

Sounds like you are completely on the right track IMHO. Stay focussed on what is truly important - the little one who counts on Mommy to protect her.

JJ1962IND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Anderson
    Great advise here for Rachel...
    My 2 cents... what your folks don't know won't hurt them. Keep silent about it!! It's between you your hubby and daughter. No one else needs to know if you carry or not. Drop the subject continue on with life and protect you loved one's at all cost.
    Pratice pratice pratice till your very confident with what ever weopon you carry..
    Don't tell anyone you carry..its no ones business..
    Good luck

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks again to everyone for the advice and thoughts. :) I;m happy with my decision...and I'm going to go ahead with it. Like stated, what they dont know wont hurt them!

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    FAIL. How are you going to be a smart-ass if you are not looking forward to rubbing their noses in it? It's like rule #5...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks again to everyone for the advice and thoughts. :) I;m happy with my decision...and I'm going to go ahead with it. Like stated, what they dont know wont hurt them!

Sorry if I missed it, but did you pick out your handgun yet? I would never (bersa) try to influence you(bersa) in any way, shape(bersa) or form. I do however(bersa) have a suggestion for (bersa) you.

Maybe(bersa) you picked (bersa) up on it somehow? :D

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Sorry if I missed it, but did you pick out your handgun yet? I would never (bersa) try to influence you(bersa) in any way, shape(bersa) or form. I do however(bersa) have a suggestion for (bersa) you.

Maybe(bersa) you picked (bersa) up on it somehow? :D
    I feel like you have left me a similar post like this one before. I havent picked one up yet, waiting to get back from vacation. But it's up there on my list of *I wants*!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I feel like you have left me a similar post like this one before. I havent picked one up yet, waiting to get back from vacation. But it's up there on my list of *I wants*!

Moi? Surely not. :)

Yes, we have had a similar convo. I just didn't know if you had made a selection yet.

talshu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:

List of 7 items:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey
    is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense
    was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN! SWITZERLAND 'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE. SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!! IT'S A NO BRAINER! DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

There is an effort in Switzerland at the moment to enforce a gun ban. It is based on the UN's desire to disarm the world!! 2009

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment! If you are too, please forward.

i hope this helps you out a little talshu

SgtChromeDome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Rachel, there was a case right here in Fort Wayne a number of years ago, out in the Brighton Meadows apartment that should help to prove your case. A local woman had purchased a gun, completed an NRA training course, and practiced with her weapon until she was proficient, "just in case." The foresight and training paid off one night when a burglar broke into her apartment late one night, waking her up. She retrieved her gun and challenged the intruder, who continued to advance despite her warnings. The young woman was able to deliver accurate, effective fire and killed the suspect on the spot; among veteran cops here in the city, she's still somewhat of a hero, because she refused to assume the role of "prey."

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Well congrats about choosing to purchase a firearm first of all. Secondly, you really aren't more likely to get shot with your own gun. Even in a self defense situation, the idea is that it should never get shot at all (except of course at the range). Hopefully any criminal who comes in contact with you will see that you have the gun and turn tail before you even get a chance to shoot. Good luck with the family though, my dad's side of the family are pacifists. :cheers:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This may be coming late to the party, but don't overwhelm them with facts. Tell them to provide you with the facts. Don't allow yourself to be put on the defensive. The simple fact that there are millions of healthy, non-gunshot firearms owners puts the lie to the assertion that you're likely to get shot with your own gun.

Top Bottom