• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Well, I've done it. I've booked flights for an African hunting safari for 11 days in July, in South Africa.

My bro in law won a charity auction for the lodging/food. I had to pay airfare and will pay trophy fees. We're with what appears to be a pretty good outfit.

I'm hoping to get a nice gemsbuck and a few impalas, wart hogs, baboons, and maybe some jackals.

Should be fun, and a once in a lifetime trip. My wife would have never agreed on it, had it not been her brother asking me to go. Beer for him!

We're flying from Houston to London, London to Frankfurt, and Frankfurt to Johannesburg. We're on a Boeing 787 to London, and A380's for every leg after that. LOTS of flight time. The good news is that it is business class, so it will be easier to sleep.

I'll be shooting a nice Remington 700 with a Leupold Mark IV scope in .30-06, with I believe, approximately 168 grain Barnes TSX or TTSX bullets.

Anyone here with experience in South Africa?

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    No experience in SA but look forward to the pics of your adventure. Shoot a few hyenas as well. The Lions will appreciate that

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    Having been to Africa twice, I feel your anticipation. Do yourself a favor, take more money than you think you will need......because there will be other animals that you will see, that you will want to hunt. Where are you hunting in RSA? Limpopo? Eastern Cape? Make sure you have your customs form 4457, to get your gun back home through customs. Are you using somebody in JHB to help you through the SAPS office to clear your guns?

Mad Dog

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Have a great time. I loved South Africa when I lived there. Take the time to sample the local cuisine, too. It's great. Do prepare yourself for a long flight, tho. Frankfurt to Joberg is a LOOOONG flight.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Having been to Africa twice, I feel your anticipation. Do yourself a favor, take more money than you think you will need......because there will be other animals that you will see, that you will want to hunt. Where are you hunting in RSA? Limpopo? Eastern Cape? Make sure you have your customs form 4457, to get your gun back home through customs. Are you using somebody in JHB to help you through the SAPS office to clear your guns?

Mad Dog

We're going to be near the Limpopo river, near to the border of Botswana. I'm not in charge of the guns, so I'm not sure how that will work. The outfitter is experienced and has a good reputation, so I'm not to worried about it. We do have help in JHB. The outfitter appears to be very thorough, and for the price, they'd better be. We had a conference call to walk us through everything.

I'll certainly take extra funds. You never know what might happen by, right?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Have a great time. I loved South Africa when I lived there. Take the time to sample the local cuisine, too. It's great. Do prepare yourself for a long flight, tho. Frankfurt to Joberg is a LOOOONG flight.

Cool! How long did you live there, and where? I'm looking forward to the food. I'm also looking forward to finding some Cuban cigars to smoke around the fire at night!

Any suggestion on specific foods to try, or South African spirits to drink?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Cool! How long did you live there, and where? I'm looking forward to the food. I'm also looking forward to finding some Cuban cigars to smoke around the fire at night!

Any suggestion on specific foods to try, or South African spirits to drink?
    Lived in Pretoria for 3 years. Never was into the hunting scene, though. Try biltong, for carrying around snack food. Think jerky, but infinitely better. Sosaties, (lamb kabobs). Steaks with a side of monkey gland sauce, (no actual monkey glands used). Just about any game and they have great sausages for the grill. Try the Boerwors. These are just regular base foods. The restaurant scene is really good with a variety of dishes from Africa and the Dutch/Boer influence. It's a really beautiful country, too. Used to love watching storms roll in across the veldt. Make sure you take a camera, too. With a BIG memory card.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    So let me get this straight. You're going on an African Safari to hunt and kill exotic animals that will make great trophies and feed the locals? You're sick! The only thing I have to say is........I AM SO JEALOUS! :D

Sounds like a blast! Congratulations on making this happen. An African safari is definitely on my bucket list. Please, please, please take lots of pictures for us who have to live vicariously through your adventure.

Are you going to being doing any bow hunting?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Remember to take the time to check the zero of your rifle after you arrive!

Take all the ammo you're allowed to take; or perhaps ship some to yourself ahead of time.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    So let me get this straight. You're going on an African Safari to hunt and kill exotic animals that will make great trophies and feed the locals? You're sick! The only thing I have to say is........I AM SO JEALOUS! :D

Sounds like a blast! Congratulations on making this happen. An African safari is definitely on my bucket list. Please, please, please take lots of pictures for us who have to live vicariously through your adventure.

Are you going to being doing any bow hunting?

You should have seen the reaction of my liberal sister. I told her I'd take an Impala just for her! She can't get the concept that the hunting industry actually helps the animal populations through game management. I'd tell her it helps the local economy, too, but I don't think libs really give a sh*# about people. They don't value people, beyond themselves and their world.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Forgot the "spirits" part. I used to be partial to Castle Lager. A really nice beer. Lion wasn't bad, either. As for liquor...I drank what everyone else drank which was American liquor. Bacardi was real popular. LOL.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    You should have seen the reaction of my liberal sister. I told her I'd take an Impala just for her! She can't get the concept that the hunting industry actually helps the animal populations through game management. I'd tell her it helps the local economy, too, but I don't think libs really give a sh*# about people. They don't value people, beyond themselves and their world.

QFT

I made some deer chili a couple weeks back. My step mom came over for an impromptu visit. No worries, our door is always open. I asked her if she wanted a bowl and she said yeah. I completely forgot she was 100% against hunting (but apparently ok with the mass production of chicken and cows) and failed to mention the deer meat.

She ate half a bowl, said it was the best chili she ever had. She asked for the recipe and it occurred to me I just fed her venison. I was honest, apologized and somehow, it went from the best chili ever to completely in edible. Plus, there was the tears. :rolleyes:

I'm freakin excited for you! Good luck and stay safe out there.

Top Bottom