Advice on what *not* to do when just starting to reload?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    When I started my Uncle told me "keep in mind, you are making a potential bomb". That might sound a bit alarmist but I've never forgotten it because done improperly that's exactly what you can end up with. As others have said stay focused on the task at hand!
    I've not loaded for 7.62 but I learned each of my rifles liked a specific bullet and power for the best accuracy. ( I was loading 22.2250 and 6MM Rem for groundhogs and other "vermin") I think discovering what your rifle prefers through trial and error will yield the best accuracy.
    I also agree that for your mission a good single stage press would serve you well.. I would also weigh every powder charge individually when trying to eek out every ounce of accuracy.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    My advice is what has been said several times.
    Get a good reloading manual, Lee, Lyman, Hornady, they are all good, and read it several times.
    It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about reloading, from being a newbie to a veteran reloader.
    Then, you can decide if it is something you feel like you want to get into.
    Good luck.
    I've been reloading for over 10 years.
    It is a great hobby and is strangely satisfying and relaxing.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Hello all,

I found this forum while looking for information about reloading, and sir let me tell you have I found it!

I have not purchased a press, any dies, or a single gram of powder, but I am already worried about the unseen pitfalls of starting this new hobby. Some of the setups in the photo thread are just magnificent, and also a little terrifying.

Rather than ask about what kind of press to buy, or what powder to start with I though I would ask the experienced hand loaders of this forum a question from a different angle: what kind of pitfalls and traps do newbie loaders often fall into that I should be aware of and try to avoid?

Thanks for reading my post, I look forward to your replies!
    A lot of good advice has been said already. I’ll echo starting with a single stage press is a good idea. It will keep things simple and help you learn each process. You can always upgrade later if you want to. I have the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit. I added a few case prep tools and trimmer. It works just fine for me as a low volume shooter. I took a reloading class before I started and that helped out a lot.

As far as distractions, I have young kids and distractions happen, it just is. So to fool proof my process: I prep all the brass I’m going use then prime them so whole lot is ready to load. Then I measure my powder charge and drop it in the case. The charged case immediately gets a bullet seated. This way if I’m interrupted, I never lose track of what step I’m on and a case never gets over charged or under charged. It’s slower but it works for me and gives me peace of mind.

Also always start at least 10% under max load and work your way up. I have found discrepancies in load data, so I like to cross reference load data between different reputable sources (bullet manufacture vs powder manufacturer).

Also, make sure your press is bolted to a heavy sturdy bench or table.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Many people reload a lot of rounds on progressive presses, I certainly do. But you will never have a time when a single stage press is not valuable. Many times I may want to do a little experimentation, maybe make a few cartridges to try a new bullet or something. Maybe you decide you want to set a bullet a little deeper. If you get involved in wildcat rounds (like 7mmTCU) where it takes multiple steps to form your brass, the single stage press is the perfect medicine for this. I have had my Redding Boss and a little LEE Challenger for decades. They are handy to have. Keep it oiled and rust free. It costs nothing to keep it in storage.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Many people reload a lot of rounds on progressive presses, I certainly do. But you will never have a time when a single stage press is not valuable. Many times I may want to do a little experimentation, maybe make a few cartridges to try a new bullet or something. Maybe you decide you want to set a bullet a little deeper. If you get involved in wildcat rounds (like 7mmTCU) where it takes multiple steps to form your brass, the single stage press is the perfect medicine for this. I have had my Redding Boss and a little LEE Challenger for decades. They are handy to have. Keep it oiled and rust free. It costs nothing to keep it in storage.
    I use my RCBS Rock Chucker for decapping (universal die). I have one of these stands from Harbor Freight that I use for a portable reloading operation. I have my RCBS and my Lee turret press mounted on doubled up sections of 2x6's and I use c-clamps to secure them to the little stand. Lets me do stuff out on the deck.

1723938194464.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Gotta ask, what are those multiple steps to form 7mmTCU brass?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Gotta ask, what are those multiple steps to form 7mmTCU brass?
    After cracking a whole bunch and having non concentric issues I do this. 1) clean and deprime. 2) anneal. 3) run it through the first expander that is about 1/2 way. 4) run them all through the 2nd expander ball that is final diameter. Sometimes I full length size at this step, sometimes I do not.

The .357 Harret is the same, it is really easy easy to wrinkle the thin 30/30 brass

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    After cracking a whole bunch and having non concentric issues I do this. 1) clean and deprime. 2) anneal. 3) run it through the first expander that is about 1/2 way. 4) run them all through the 2nd expander ball that is final diameter. Sometimes I full length size at this step, sometimes I do not.

The .357 Harret is the same, it is really easy easy to wrinkle the thin 30/30 brass
    OK, I have a friend that shoots it.
    He buys good quality mil spec 223 ammo and just shoots it, instant fireform.
    Then FL size check length, trim if necessary and load.

BP84

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2024
    Sunman
    Do not buy a Lee press
    Do not buy a non progressive press
    Do not buy bullet casting components
    Do not buy ginex small rifle primers
    Do not use a barrel/chamber of a gun for a cartridge gauge ( added due to bad advice on here)
    I have done 3 out of 5 things on here

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Number one, is do not get your education from internet forums. There are many very qualified people with excellent information, but you have no way of verifying that. Buy a couple of good reloading manuals and read them. Sierra and Hornady are very good. Start with a single stage press and learn the steps before considering a progressive.

canebreaker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    "I am hoping to make my own target loads for the 7.62" Which one?
    Tumble spent cases in walnut media a few hours before they go through dies. Add spent dryer sheets to collect dust and the media will last forever. https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Substrate-Glass-Friendly-Alternative-Reptiles/dp/B001GGTWTC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=91G5MN2WX1X1&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Q0meXlP-urkt1s96wxXfyp7wEvDZoBWZ6YwYdktnhsy89xAZKUsBBsI_g5y7f9rovGeU13i5ciCVFbl1uGWn1auZK9dEfbj8HvnD4IXSO-aAcMHgPl4B0WzEqtShYzfrlkyAfi2CUJBSH6TzWD9eBjqZ74UKjwJIQia21DXhHiKeBfrPh4ACrTPiYXJxx6dnoFZhIvJYK2IAhuvdmre-x1eKnVG5-B5fwiey7w-RsJuRxkxjgbM4HiJ-FRcPhY-XP-4Ba75kRRGMgewOkXYziENkpFixmSycqyYU_y65s7I.3Zi3FGwwCaq4euYa8xX2Z-Yhb3ff6TT_7nJgrziK0PI&dib_tag=se&keywords=zilla+desert+blend+ground+english+walnut+shells+reptile+substrate&qid=1724003299&sprefix=walnut+desert+blend,aps,117&sr=8-1&th=1
    Use a pen light to inspect flash holes inside bottle neck cases. Berdan primed ones will eat decapping pins.

I started reloading in 1990 with the Lee anniversary kit, $60 delivered with O frame press, round hopper hand primer and powder dippers. Still use it today. I use a small funnel that fits inside the case instead of the funnel that sits on the case.
    I have a RCBS 2000, 2 Lee Loadmasters, RCBS rock chuker JR, 2 Lee C frame presses, 2 more Lee O frame presses. Offered on craigslist, watch the ad a few weeks then offer less.
    I get ammo trays and boxes from the trash at gun ranges. Some make good reloading trays and you have free storage for your reloaded ammo. I paint my boxes royal blue. Make my own labels from the post office stick on labels.
    "Not watching tv or multitask???" I haven't watched tv since Speed channel was removed and Nick sat on the bench. I'll set the decap/sizing die in the press and do a thousand cases while watching Utube movies. Cases are stored in a plastic shoe box. Case necks are inspected for cracks before primming. With the handheld primer I'll prime the cases while watching more movies. Cases are placed in trays with necks up. If I use the Lee perfect powder measure I load 30 from one side, turn the tray around for the remaining 20. Inspect each case before storing. My girlfriend had a wall mount plastic case that would hold 15 1:24 scale nascars. When Tony Stewart retired and things changed in nascar I got the case. It will hold 96 trays. The most I've had in it at a time is 40. When all cases have powder I'll set the bullets in the necks. Set the seating die and start pressing. Yep, while watching more Utube movies.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My goal was mass production of .38 Special meeting the power factor for weekend revolver club. I bought several reloading manuals (this was pre-internet), found the gunstores that sold reloading components ( again, pre-internet), spreadsheeted component prices (we did have computers), and studied the hell out of it all, from prepping to testing load and identifying problems (like overpressure).

I bought a Dillon Square Deal B, made my own written procedure/checklist, and started working out loads for my Model 19 6”. I went slowly and worked out the best combination of meeting the power factor, accuracy, and cost. Once I found the magic combo Iwrote it all down and locked in the settings. Bought huge stockpiles of components, and cranked out several hundred round each week.

When sorting and cleaning brass I watchedTV, but when I was making rounds I focused only on production. No watching TV or listening to Rush or whatever. Probably my biggest lesson learned was to pull the handle completely through its arc of travel with exactly the same pressure each time. Only took a couple hours to crank outmore than enough for practice or a match. I also had no distractions while I checked each round for quality: primer fully seated, overall length, no other obvious defects, and weighed every round initially. Later, I worked up to weighing only every 10th round.

You should be careful who and how you tell about your hobby. At the time I was not married but had a girlfriend who was a bank exec. During a bank merger she ended up without a job when the music stopped. She found one in another city, and she rented her cabin in mountains to me for what I was paying for a tiny apartment in the city. Deal!

She came back to LA for a visit and I took her straight from the airport to lunch with one of my shooting buddies. I hadn’t sprung my new hobby on her yet. Soon as we finish ordering my buddy turns to me and says “so how is the Ammo reloading business?”:ugh:

My girlfriend turns to me and says “there’s EXPLOSIVE GUNPOWDER in my HOUSE?!”

My buddy quickly adopts this wide eyed innocent expression and says “oh not to worry, gunpowder is no more explosive than baby powder.” :lmfao:

Then he shrugged his shoulders, smiles at me and says “Sorry man!”

We got it worked out though.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    OK, I have a friend that shoots it.
    He buys good quality mil spec 223 ammo and just shoots it, instant fireform.
    Then FL size check length, trim if necessary and load.
    Quick way to do it, perhaps not as budget friendly as the DIY guy who finds once fired brass at the range (preferably from a bolt gun. Your friend pays $55/100 for ammo, then wastes the primer, powder, and bullet (224 bullet in a .284 barrel) during fire forming. Leo spends nothing on the case except his time in the gun room and a smidgen of propane. Two ways to skin a cat...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Quick way to do it, perhaps not as budget friendly as the DIY guy who finds once fired brass at the range (preferably from a bolt gun. Your friend pays $55/100 for ammo, then wastes the primer, powder, and bullet (224 bullet in a .284 barrel) during fire forming. Leo spends nothing on the case except his time in the gun room and a smidgen of propane. Two ways to skin a cat...
    Cost was about a 1/4 of that, we all bought well years ago. Pulled bullets, pull down powder and primers bought 25+ years ago, make it super cheap to do.
    When I fire form most of the cases I form, I either form with full loads or I use a few grains of Bullseye and a wax bullet.
    The TCU is about as easy to form as a K Hornet. I was just pointing out another way to make it super easy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been reloading since the mid 70s. Started out with a single stage press, and slowly moved up from there. Today I make ammo and cases for obsolete calibers, load BP cartridges and cast bullets for many things. Cartridge loading goes where ever you want.:)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I use my RCBS Rock Chucker for decapping (universal die). I have one of these stands from Harbor Freight that I use for a portable reloading operation. I have my RCBS and my Lee turret press mounted on doubled up sections of 2x6's and I use c-clamps to secure them to the little stand. Lets me do stuff out on the deck.

View attachment 373897
    Whats the reason that you spend the time to deprime when you could just size and have one less stage to do?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Whats the reason that you spend the time to deprime when you could just size and have one less stage to do?
    Don't know about DD, but for me, I like to knock out spent primers (at a rapid pace) on my ole RockChucker, and then run through the cleaner.
    A lot faster to just pop the primers than to re-size, and keeps the primer "Crunchies" out of my Dillon 550.
    But that's just me=Sorry to highjack...Bill.

Top Bottom