Advice on what *not* to do when just starting to reload?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Other posters have suggesting starting with a single-stage setup, do you agree?
    A good single stage press is perfect for loading precision rifle. If that is all you want to do with the press and your reloading journey then that is a great option.

A Dillon 550 is the most flexible and can be used as a single stage, turret or even progressive press. I have one and use it like a turret press for .308 (load a single cartridge at a time). I can also use it as a progressive to load large quantities of 9mm, .223 or .45 ACP.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    A good single stage press is perfect for loading precision rifle. If that is all you want to do with the press and your reloading journey then that is a great option.

A Dillon 550 is the most flexible and can be used as a single stage, turret or even progressive press. I have one and use it like a turret press for .308 (load a single cartridge at a time). I can also use it as a progressive to load large quantities of 9mm, .223 or .45 ACP.
    This is exactly what I do. The 550 is an extremely versatile press. I load from .32 S&W to .45-70 on mine. 27 calibers total.
    I just saw a 550 sell for 350.00 bucks. The expense is changing cartridges.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes to all, unless you have something special in a heavy slow bullet that’s difficult to find. Else save time effort and cleanup by purchasing poly coated or plated or jacketed bullets.
    For example I cast my own 12 gauge slugs, and .58 caliber musket balls because you can’t find em.
    Take from a shooter that’s been reloading for over 40 years, you asked for do not do suggestions.
    Here’s a few tid bits that are aligned with some others on here.
    You can’t save much if any “right now” reloading factory spec 9mm or shotgun gauges 12/20. All others you can save real money ( if you shoot a lot). I shoot uspsa and do not load 9mm to factory specs, I also load .40 to a longer than normal oal (over all length) for reliability in a 2011 handgun. So see that’s why others asked “what do YOU want from reloading”.
    If it’s to save money you can do that but you had better shoot a lot, which is a good thing! Ymmv
    I shoot all of those, my own cast and Hi-tec coated, cast Hi-Tek coated from Summit City " Great guy to deal with" and jacketed from Rocky Mountian Reloading.
    Casting and Hi-tec coating your own is pretty simple process. You can save loads of money, don't let the nay sayers turn you off to doing it.
    Lead can be easily gotten from mining the shooting club you belong to, buying off here and marketplace and snoop around for a small scrap yard and buy direct from them.
    I just bought 535 lbs of wheel weights for a cool $52.00 this morning. Picture to follow after lunch and Steve Wilkos is over.
    Say you buy 1,000 124 grain jacketed bullets for $110.00 shipped to you from Rocky Mountian, I can spend a few hours one evening casting them and the next night coating and sizing them. it might cost me $12.00 to $20.00 to do that. I cast in the winter when its dark and gloomy outside.
    So to cast and load a 1,000 rds cost is around
    9mm brass picked up at the range for free, if you dont have any let people know here.
    primers on todays pricing $50.00
    powder on todays pricing say $15.00 I'm being generous.
    bullet lube or coatings, say $5.00 I'm being really generous.

One cant buy custom loaded 9mm ammo made to what you want for $70.00 a thousand.
    Oh and I'm not much of a Lee Reloading fan, nothing wrong with it, its just not for me.
    But Richard makes some great rifle crimping dies and has written two great reloading books, I suggest along with the Lyman mentioned above you get Richard Lees Vol 2 book.
    Money well spent.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have three 650's with case feeders that I didnt pay over $650.00 each and two came with a few conversions. I bought my eight station for $1,200 dollars from a member here.

OP look at buying a new or used Dillon 550 machine, it can be used as a single stage when one is starting out and then roll into a great semi progressive machine.

Think about taking a reloading class if one can be found reasonably local.
    Maybe if a few guys are interested Andy can be talked into giving a class for you guys. @Aszerigan
    On another bench I still have the Dillon 450 machine I bought around 1982, a 550 and a few single stages.

20240530_172524(1).jpg

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    I shoot all of those, my own cast and Hi-tec coated, cast Hi-Tek coated from Summit City " Great guy to deal with" and jacketed from Rocky Mountian Reloading.
    Casting and Hi-tec coating your own is pretty simple process. You can save loads of money, don't let the nay sayers turn you off to doing it.
    Lead can be easily gotten from mining the shooting club you belong to, buying off here and marketplace and snoop around for a small scrap yard and buy direct from them.
    I just bought 535 lbs of wheel weights for a cool $52.00 this morning. Picture to follow after lunch and Steve Wilkos is over.
    Say you buy 1,000 124 grain jacketed bullets for $110.00 shipped to you from Rocky Mountian, I can spend a few hours one evening casting them and the next night coating and sizing them. it might cost me $12.00 to $20.00 to do that. I cast in the winter when its dark and gloomy outside.
    So to cast and load a 1,000 rds cost is around
    9mm brass picked up at the range for free, if you dont have any let people know here.
    primers on todays pricing $50.00
    powder on todays pricing say $15.00 I'm being generous.
    bullet lube or coatings, say $5.00 I'm being really generous.

One cant buy custom loaded 9mm ammo made to what you want for $70.00 a thousand.
    Oh and I'm not much of a Lee Reloading fan, nothing wrong with it, its just not for me.
    But Richard makes some great rifle crimping dies and has written two great reloading books, I suggest along with the Lyman mentioned above you get Richard Lees Vol 2 book.
    Money well spent.
    You got a heck of a deal for that lead!!!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    You got a heck of a deal for that lead!!!
    I've paid for lead one time as part of a larger deal. I'm lucky in that I know plumbers, roofers, utility folks (hey, that's me!) and others. Once the word went out I was flooded with lead.
    I enjoy casting boolits. I've been known to say CHA CHING! when they fall from the mold.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've paid for lead one time as part of a larger deal. I'm lucky in that I know plumbers, roofers, utility folks (hey, that's me!) and others. Once the word went out I was flooded with lead.
    I enjoy casting boolits. I've been known to say CHA CHING! when they fall from the mold.
    My scrap guy is good to me, I have scrap I just backup and dump it off and drive away and give his wife a wave on the way out.
    He knows what I use and puts it off to the side for me.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Another fan here of starting with a single stage, especially if you want to experiment with small batches of reloads of 20 or fewer. You can feel the primer seat, check it for flush, change the bullet seating depth, etc with so much ease.

Couple things you should have...a bullet puller to disassemble loads that aren't working, and a bullet comparator to maintain consistent bullet seating depth based on ogive instead of overall length. All my match ammo is measured with the comparator and calipers.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have known several people in the same situation as you. I brought them to the house to see just what is involved. When they see how easy (handgun) it is, or more involved (rifle), they all got into the reloading game soon after. You just need to see the process for yourself. Wish you were closer.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have known several people in the same situation as you. I brought them to the house to see just what is involved. When they see how easy (handgun) it is, or more involved (rifle), they all got into the reloading game soon after. You just need to see the process for yourself. Wish you were closer.
    That's why I wondered if Andy was going to chime in, he used to do classes years back.
    I'm guessing he's to busy nowadays.

Top Bottom