Advice on what *not* to do when just starting to reload?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpookyCat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2024
    NW Indy
    Hello all,

I found this forum while looking for information about reloading, and sir let me tell you have I found it!

I have not purchased a press, any dies, or a single gram of powder, but I am already worried about the unseen pitfalls of starting this new hobby. Some of the setups in the photo thread are just magnificent, and also a little terrifying.

Rather than ask about what kind of press to buy, or what powder to start with I though I would ask the experienced hand loaders of this forum a question from a different angle: what kind of pitfalls and traps do newbie loaders often fall into that I should be aware of and try to avoid?

Thanks for reading my post, I look forward to your replies!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What are your reloading goals?
    This!

Currently the price of components is through the roof. If your goal is to save money, forget it. You can buy bulk ammo for less than rolling your own.

Now if you want something specific (like I prefer 9mm in a certain light load pushing 147gr flat points) then reloading is worth it.

And what not to do? drink or multitask. Put 110% of your attention into the reloading.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hey now! I really like my Pro 1000. They are underrated presses.

Not everyone needs to drop thousands on a Dillon.
    I have three 650's with case feeders that I didnt pay over $650.00 each and two came with a few conversions. I bought my eight station for $1,200 dollars from a member here.

OP look at buying a new or used Dillon 550 machine, it can be used as a single stage when one is starting out and then roll into a great semi progressive machine.

Think about taking a reloading class if one can be found reasonably local.
    Maybe if a few guys are interested Andy can be talked into giving a class for you guys. @Aszerigan

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Buy a good manual like the Lyman one. Read it twice before buying anything. I don’t know if the brands have changed but when I got started most people recommended Lyman or RCBS for good basic equipment and a single stage press that you would use forever.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Start with a single stage press loading one round at a time.

Utilize loading trays so that you can see the powder level in every shell before you seat any bullets.

Start at the low end of powder charge and work your way up a couple tenths of a grain at a time.

I mic every round for coal, and plunk check a few using my CZ (the shortest throat of all my chambers).

Oh, and don’t use anyone else’s recipe to start with. Stick with the data books.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Currently the price of components is through the roof. If your goal is to save money, forget it. You can buy bulk ammo for less than rolling your own.
    That is if he's going to load something like 9mm or 5.56 fmj plunking rds.

If he loads JHP rds or match bullets for a rifle he'll save a bunch of money.

Being new you often buy a bunch of extra equipment you end up not using after you understand what exactly you need and want to do.
    I say research a lot before buying anything.
    Make sure you buy what will suit your needs.

That said I like my turret press the most, but for loading match ammunition I still use my single stage press.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Keep 1 or more fire extinguishers on hand, and keep them up on their annual service (everyone should do this anyway, reloading or not). And as one who smokes, no smoking when the powder is unsealed!
    Speaking from someone who works in the life safety industry, (IT for a fire protection company... not a pro, but their basic industry knowledge rubs off working beside them)

As a homeowner, the only service you need to be concerned with for a standard dry chemical units:
    1. Check the dial to make sure the needle is in the green. If it is, nothing is needed.
    2. If it sits or hangs without any movement or vibration whatsoever: Once a year turn it upside down and tap the bottom of the bottle on the wall a couple times gently. (as hard as you would knock on someone's door) That prevents a rare occurrence where the powder will cake and not want to dispense. (really only every 5, but who can remember that long?)
    3. Note the date stamp on the bottle. It needs to be hydrostatically tested every 12 years. But if its a cheap plastic head consumer unit, just throw it away and buy a new one. Nobody tests those disposable units.

But before you throw that old one away, practice using it outside. ABC powder is biodegradeable and is actually a decent fertilizer.

And just in case... there is long standing recall on Kidde home extinguishers. Pretty sure if you have one and fill out a claim they will send you a new one.

And this recall is no joke. the plastic threads on the heads become brittle and cause catastrophic violent separation. There was a TV report out of Huntsville a decade ago (before they realized what was up) where one was sitting on a dining room table and the head was ejected up THROUGH the drywall ceiling. (and covered everything in the house with a thin dusting of ABC powder. :faint:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    You haven't said whether you want to do pistol, rifle, or both. It will matter later.
    As mentioned earlier, get a good manual (or several) and start slow.
    Set up a safe, organized work station.
    Wear safety glasses, and minimize interruptions and distractions. This is a solo sport.
    Reloading requires 110% of your attention, and has a steep learning curve, but it's totally worthwhile in the end.
    Best advice I can give you is to learn and understand the process, and especially the terminology. Know what you're doing at each step, and why.
    Learn to think "if, then", as in "if I change this, then this will happen".
    Learn how to properly measure your cartridges.
    Learn how to throw a consistent powder charge.
    Learn the ramifications of "messin' the recipe" the easy way, not the (potentially dangerous) hard way.
    Spending some time with someone who reloads can be very helpful, and helps cut down the intimidation factor.
    Safety is paramount, and having an inviolable set of procedures for opening and closing your session (as well as for temporarily stepping away) is of utmost importance to your continuing to enjoy this hobby in good health.
    Simple things become very important.
    Never leave powder open.
    Never open more than one powder at a time.
    Keep scrupulous notes of what you're loading, and with what components.
    It's a long laundry list, but it's so logical that it all falls into place in short order.

Plenty of good advice to be found on INGO, so never be afraid to ask.
    Best of luck to you.

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Hello
    Don't be terrified it's a great hobby. True you may not save any money unless you are loading big calipers or hard to find stuff. Yes, the price of supplies is way up. Like it was said before you must pay attention to everything. When I load no food no drinks no music, telephone or TV = No problems. As far as the equipment it all works if you work it right. I have loaded on Dillion and Lee. I own Lee now 3 Pro 1000's and a classic turret press. You need to start slow and watch every step. As time goes on you will get as fast as you need to. I enjoy reloading as much as if not more that shooting. I am never in a hurry there is no rush I have loaded over 10 thousand rounds. When I started, I watched videos on Lee Pro 1000 loaders. Took my time and worked out all the problems I ran into now all 3 of my machines run super smooth. If anyone out there has one that they hate, send me a message I will take it. I room for more. I hope you get into loading and find the enjoyment I have.
    Thanks
    Jim

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Especially when starting, DON"T GET IN A HURRY! take your time to understand each step. If it takes you 5 evenings to load your first box of pistol ammo, that is fine. Better than making bad ammo that does not feed, sticks a bullet or blows up a firearm, maybe hurting you.

When I started there was the Lyman reloading manual. The LEE reloading book actually explains things really well if you can take their constant promotion of their products with a grain of salt.

You tube has lots of guys showing each step. Some are a little marginal so watch several. If you get confused, don't experiment, ask someone. There is lots of help on INGO. I have loaded rifle, pistol and shotgun ammo since the early 1970's and still have all my fingers. There are people here that have loaded longer than that. Someone will help. Once you understand each step you will be able to figure out the way you like to do it.

Good luck and welcome.

Top Bottom