Adverse possession. What problem does it solve?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I just learned what the "right hand rule" is.

current-causing-magnetic-field-right-hand-rule-2.png.cf.png

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    and surveyors have expensive equipment that can pinpoint a spot within 1/4 inch. We don't need it. We can find property lines.

The discussion of this thread is about adverse possession as a matter of law not as a matter of survey. So leave us surveyors out.

That said, to correct your presumption, surveyors can determine written title accurately but not ownership. Ownership is determined one of two ways. You and your neighbor come to an agreement or you go to court (if you have deep pockets). Hence, the need for legal counsel.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Is "adverse possession" only an Anglo-American concept in law?

When the Soviet Bloc came apart, the remaining German government laid off about 90% of the former GDR military. They kept on some younger folks they thought could be rehabilitated. I went over there and spent a week with some of those guys. Very interesting crowd. They were the ones that told me I should round up all the Communists in America and shoot them.

Anyway, the guys I met had all been officers, and so in the former regime had some privileges, like living in tiny crackerbox apartments in a 25 story building that had no elevator. When they realized the old regime was kaput, one of the first things they did was buy a bunch of building material and run out to this nearby lake and build weekend homes, something they had always wanted to do but never thought possible until then. I asked them now that the communist government was gone, who owned the land? The Federal Republic?

They all shrugged their shoulders and said "We don't care. Nobody knows. We will figure it out later. For now, we are going to enjoy something we'd never thought possible before."

I later read in the papers of some cases where Germans who had fled the Soviets at the end of WWII or escaped the East German regime came back after The Wall fell, and tried to reclaim their property from the Ossies (east germans) who were living there.

I'll bet that was a mess to figure out.

Top Bottom