• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am not sure if this is the correct location for this post so I am sorry if it's incorrect.

My son has been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. We are exploring options to help him. I am wondering what impact this diagnosis and possible medication will have on his ability to own firearms in the future and get a carry license. Has anyone with ADD/ADHD had any issues purchasing a gun or getting a permit?

Thanks!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Excellent question! I don't think ADD/ADHD falls under "mental illness", at least not to my knowledge. I don't think this would have a bearing on being able to get your LTCH and/or be a legal gun owner... at least, not TODAY... I could see this getting spun up over time by the anti's. But really good topic, I'll be interested to see what some other folks have to say on this.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I don't believe that ADD/ADHD alone will be an issue for owning as that disqualification focuses on mental institution commitments and legal judgements of mental competence, but for a Indiana LTCH he may have to answer "Yes" to the mental health question and submit a letter from his doctor as the wording of that question is EXTREMELY broad.

Last edited:

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    No he should be good, next week I'll let you know if more intense mental illnesses have an impact on purchasing a gun.

heres a little more to it, back in 2009 I put a bullet in my chest, got out of the hospital and went to the local cop shop and they did the Brady check and I got all my guns back. In 2012 I could still buy guns. I know on the carry permit they ask mental illness question but have not purchased a gun to look if they added it to the 4473 or not, that's how I'll find out

Last edited:

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    This is a very touchy subject for me, I have ADD, I cant hardly sit still for more than 5 minutes, I cant focus on a repetitive task for almost any amount of time.

IMO my ADD has been the best gift God has ever given me, I have to write things down and circle back around so I dont get bored with it but the way my mind races and jumps from one thing to the next is the biggest contributing factor to the success I have had so far in my life.

I have had medication and all it did was dumb my gift down.

My personal suggestion is to not medicate your child but instead to teach him how use the gift he has been given to his benefit.

Dont let him be the society norm, let him stand out. Yes he will struggle in school but this is a great chance for him to hone his tool he has been given and learn how to use it to his benefit.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If his doctor pulls his RX pad out - Tell him to bite you and Leave Immediately.

Say No To Zombies!

Last edited:

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    I have a boy that we are going thru this with too, we didn't want to medicate him but between my psychological experiences and my fiancé having a bachelors in psychology and the amount it affected him in school, we broke down and went to the doc. First med made him more hyper, second med works perfect for him, his school has improved tremendously and by the time he gets home the med is wore off and he's back to his hyper self. Also this Jed does not zombie him out, only change I've seen is when he is doing any task he stays with it

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am sure that if i were to be tested for ADD or ADHD I would test positive too. It is very hard to stay on tasks but I learned to deal with it. It has been a blessing and a curse. I think I am successful but I believe that I could have done so much more had I been able to focus.

We are not in favor of medication. We are fortunate enough to have a good physician that in his words "it is unacceptable for medication to blank or zombie kids out". I just want to make sure my son has the opportunity to learn while in school and use his wonderful imagination in and out of school. If we see his personality or imagination change we will not continue the medication.

I did learn about a place in Louisville called Minds in Motion that I will be calling today to get more information.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    I know the questions are very broad on the applications. Let us know Nevernoluck.

Thanks!

well first you have to find a good psychiatrist not a doctor but if you're willing to educate yourself with a good doctor you can have success. I spent three years after my incident on various combinations of over 20 different pills, mostly max doses, so I know what Zombie feels like and it absolutely sucks!!!!! I'm now on 2 meds, low doses and feel the best I've ever felt, I've wore paths in floors pacing cause I couldn't sit still either.

Their is paperwork to fill out for you and teachers, that's how they help diagnose and after meds have been introduced that's how they figure what's working and what's not, it comes from YOU as a parent to tell whether it's too much or not. Always URGE the lowest dose possible and watch it work, it takes time, matter of weeks. If you are concerned enough their is even herbal remedies that work good too.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    OP.....GREAT!!!! Sounds like you're already thinking it thru, like it said before the med my boy is on works good to focus while at school and by the time he gets home he is all back to his wild self

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont think there is a problem. At least not without some jackwagon issuing an excutive order stating that simply by being on certain meds you are DQ'd.

Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective(which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawfulauthority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs) OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution? (See Instructions for Question 11.f.)

Not a lawyer or doctor, but the highlighted portion is the important piece. While ADD/ADHD may make you scatterbrained, it does NOT render you a danger to yourself or others.

Like I said, barring him being impacted by a law that states that you are unable if you are on a medication that might have multiple uses like Wellbutrin which can be used for depression AND ADD, I dont think he will have an issue.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm sorry but that is just plain disrespectful, this is a serious matter involving a child, show some RESPECT.

With all due respect, that isnt out of line. It gave me a chuckle, and I have raging ADHD. :chillpill:

I see you only have about 60 posts... get used to "disrespectful" comments like this. He was talking about his child's ability to own a gun down the road, not that his child was dead or dying.

How many kids with add does it take to change a lightbulb? Hey, wanna go ride bikes? :):

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure he wont have an issue.

Just food for thought... My cousin has ADD/ADHD his parents were able to control his diet, and they no longer have the issues with it. I would consult a nutritionist before thinking about any meds.

I am not by anymeans a MD.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    No he should be good, next week I'll let you know if more intense mental illnesses have an impact on purchasing a gun.

heres a little more to it, back in 2009 I put a bullet in my chest, got out of the hospital and went to the local cop shop and they did the Brady check and I got all my guns back. In 2012 I could still buy guns. I know on the carry permit they ask mental illness question but have not purchased a gun to look if they added it to the 4473 or not, that's how I'll find out

I have a boy that we are going thru this with too, we didn't want to medicate him but between my psychological experiences and my fiancé having a bachelors in psychology and the amount it affected him in school, we broke down and went to the doc. First med made him more hyper, second med works perfect for him, his school has improved tremendously and by the time he gets home the med is wore off and he's back to his hyper self. Also this Jed does not zombie him out, only change I've seen is when he is doing any task he stays with it

if you think the meds do nothing but zombie them, you either had a bad experience or need educated more

well first you have to find a good psychiatrist not a doctor but if you're willing to educate yourself with a good doctor you can have success. I spent three years after my incident on various combinations of over 20 different pills, mostly max doses, so I know what Zombie feels like and it absolutely sucks!!!!! I'm now on 2 meds, low doses and feel the best I've ever felt, I've wore paths in floors pacing cause I couldn't sit still either.

Their is paperwork to fill out for you and teachers, that's how they help diagnose and after meds have been introduced that's how they figure what's working and what's not, it comes from YOU as a parent to tell whether it's too much or not. Always URGE the lowest dose possible and watch it work, it takes time, matter of weeks. If you are concerned enough their is even herbal remedies that work good too.

OP.....GREAT!!!! Sounds like you're already thinking it thru, like it said before the med my boy is on works good to focus while at school and by the time he gets home he is all back to his wild self

I'm sorry but that is just plain disrespectful, this is a serious matter involving a child, show some RESPECT.

glad I have only wasted my time with 60 posts because I will not get used to disrespectful comments pertaining to children

Bunch of smart ass dickheads goodbye

From the number of your posts, I would suggest another med adjustment. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom