• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    if you think the meds do nothing but zombie them, you either had a bad experience or need educated more

As a medical professional who has went to school with a kid in the "special needs classroom", a kid who takes ADD/ADHD meds is zombiefied...especially if their inattentiveness comes from boredom.

I was told I had ADD around gradeschool. Because the stuff wasn't challenging and I didn't want to waste time on stuff I understood. They moved me into advanced classes and it held my attention. I've always gotten "bad" grades in blowoff classes because they were stupid and I didn't want to put any "work" into something that was dumbed down.

I'm sorry if your child has ADD/ADHD/Autism or what have you, the answer IMHO is almost never medicate first. Adjust the teaching regimine before medicating. The same should be said about all things "medical". Back pain should not equal Lortabs or Percocet IMO. If you have a traumatic injury, then hell yes give narcs, but don't give someone Lortabs for a pulled muscle. That's just stupid IMO. Much like giving adderal for a kid whose teacher is boring them so they act out.

Granted, some kids DO need to be medicated, but I would think long and hard before giving anything psychotropic to any child.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I have been diagnosed with ocd and take medication for it, it did not affect my ltch or my ability to buy a firearm.

beachhead40

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    North Of Indy
    Just be cause you are diagnosed with something doesn't mean the next doctor thinks the same. if I go to a doctor with a problem, they are going to do something, and not always is that something what is exactly wrong. or correct. its an opinion. They get paid to make you think its fixed. My son was "diagnosed" and the meds change who they are, that's for sure. He now takes nothing and is fine. He just has a different way of learning, and once that was found out, he reads in 1st grade at a 3rd grade level. He just has a lot of energy.

Last edited:

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Just be cause you are diagnosed with something doesn't mean the next doctor thinks the same. if I go to a doctor with a problem, they are going to do something, and not always is that something what is exactly wrong. or correct. its an opinion. They get paid to make you think its fixed. My son was "diagnosed" and the meds change who they are, that's for sure. He now takes nothing and is fine. He just has a different way of learning, and once that was found out, he reads in 1st grade at a 3rd grade level. He just has a lot of energy.

agreed, i actually work in the medical field, and i am premed, from experience i can tell you, if you are searching hard enough for a solution, the doctor may just give you one to shut you up. in my case i knew i had a problem before i was diagnosed by the doctor then later a psychiatrist. and in my case, the medication clears my mind and makes me feel much better.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I was diagnosed with attention deficit when I was a kid. I chose not to be medicated and made it through high school fine. After some painful college experiences I went to my Dr… I now take amphetamine salts (generic adderall) for this… No problems getting a LTCH. It in no way makes you mentally unstable or anything else, just means you don't concentrate well. Kind of on the same level of being obsessive compulsive or something. Most everyone has it to a degree you could say, but some people it becomes an issue for…

So to answer your question, no it should not matter one bit. I have it on record and know at least two other people who are diagnosed and medicated for this who own guns, and one who I am sure carries with an LTCH if that helps ease your mind.

I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist multiple times and years later medicated by my Dr. There is nothing wrong with your son as you know, all is well and this alone won't affect him.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I think the common thought of add/adhd meds making you a zombie is from the 90s when kids were given scripts for ritalin, now scripts are given for adderall. adderall helps with concentraion and makes you much more focused, but can kinda make you 'tweak'.

Bfish said it well, everyone has ocd, and add when it comes to certain things or situations, only medication is needed when it causes a disruption with quality of life. also as the brain develops the chemical balances can change so just because someone has issues now, doesnt mean they will in the future

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    My son has ADD/ADHD he takes Concerta. Before he used concerta he could read a book and then fail the AR test on the book. Take concerta read the book and get 10 out of ten on the AR test. The meds just make him concentrate. He knows if he forgets to take them so the wife always has an extra in her purse. He doesn't take the meds on the weekends or during the summer. When he doesn't take them there is no difference in his behavior then if he took his meds. Also he quit drinking sodas with caffeine on his own. I could always tell if he had drank a Mtn Dew.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Different things work best for different people. Sometimes diet, sometimes medication, and sometimes just learning to cope. I don't think we, as outsiders, have enough information to say "say no to medicine", etc.

zipper89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    This shouldn't be a problem as long as your child is actually stable and wont snap and do something silly like end up on the news like the past 2 years.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Different things work best for different people. Sometimes diet, sometimes medication, and sometimes just learning to cope. I don't think we, as outsiders, have enough information to say "say no to medicine", etc.

i can say off my meds i feel like complete ****. i cannot focus, i cannot concentrate, i constantly grind my teeth and my anxiety level is unbearable. so meds are not always bad.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I am not sure if this is the correct location for this post so I am sorry if it's incorrect.

My son has been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. We are exploring options to help him. I am wondering what impact this diagnosis and possible medication will have on his ability to own firearms in the future and get a carry license. Has anyone with ADD/ADHD had any issues purchasing a gun or getting a permit?

Thanks!

Was diagnosed as a kid and it was a legit diagnosis in the late 80's. I had issues in school with grades, but the service turned me around along with meds. I have been off meds since I was 16 I'm 27 now married and both my wife and I own and carry. Education, being serious about it as we all know we like to start something and not finsih usually. Structure and discipline will work wonders, If they like the military as they get older maybe Civil Air Patrol, ROTC, or military school. Keep them occupied take them shooting or hunting. If I would of done those things I wouldn't be so impulsive on buying firearms and ammo, I've gotten better now since I have gotten the bug out of my system.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This is a very touchy subject for me, I have ADD, I cant hardly sit still for more than 5 minutes, I cant focus on a repetitive task for almost any amount of time.

IMO my ADD has been the best gift God has ever given me, I have to write things down and circle back around so I dont get bored with it but the way my mind races and jumps from one thing to the next is the biggest contributing factor to the success I have had so far in my life.

I have had medication and all it did was dumb my gift down.

My personal suggestion is to not medicate your child but instead to teach him how use the gift he has been given to his benefit.

Dont let him be the society norm, let him stand out. Yes he will struggle in school but this is a great chance for him to hone his tool he has been given and learn how to use it to his benefit.

Same situation here. ADD can be a PITA or a great gift depending on how it's handled. I've struggled with keeping focused over the years but have found things that make it easier to keep on track. I've also found that I function best in a situation that works with ADD, such as my job gives me the opportunity to jump from one task to another when the ADD kicks in. My son was diagnosed with ADD and our doctor at the time wanted to put him on Stratera. We passed on it because, as Tnichols00 said, it just dumbs you down.

Some of the greatest minds in history are believed to have been ADD/ADHD, such as Ben Franklin and Leonardo Di Vinci. Being ADD prone, your mind tends to be compelled to move to the next thing once it's figured out the current thing. It can be frustrating to go into the garage for a screwdriver and before you know it, your pulling the carb off an engine you're rebuilding. You step back into the house to get some paper towels and boom, you find yourself loading a quick 50 rounds of .45 while down in the reloading room. Once you finish that and decide to put a new label on the ammo box, you head up stairs to the computer and notice there's an email from work and before you know it, you're troubleshooting a data extract that is causing an issue. Once you've figured that out, you go to grab a beer and remember that you were going to tighten the knob on the kitchen drawer and head out to the garage for a screwdriver. It's not a problem, but can just be a different way of operating in life. My wife has always been amazed at how much stuff I notice. We'll be driving and I'll point something out to her as we drive by that she has to look hard to find. That mindset is what has helped me be successful in my career through being able to see a much bigger picture than most folks I work with.

Being ADD can be a fantastic gift if embraced.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I was diagnosed with attention deficit when I was a kid. I chose not to be medicated and made it through high school fine. After some painful college experiences I went to my Dr… I now take amphetamine salts (generic adderall) for this… No problems getting a LTCH. It in no way makes you mentally unstable or anything else, just means you don't concentrate well. Kind of on the same level of being obsessive compulsive or something. Most everyone has it to a degree you could say, but some people it becomes an issue for…

So to answer your question, no it should not matter one bit. I have it on record and know at least two other people who are diagnosed and medicated for this who own guns, and one who I am sure carries with an LTCH if that helps ease your mind.

I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist multiple times and years later medicated by my Dr. There is nothing wrong with your son as you know, all is well and this alone won't affect him.

Thank you very much! We started him on the generic Adderoll on Saturday. His personality was the same and his creativity was not affected as we played Legos for a little bit and he created some nice things. The only side-affect is that he is very emotional so we will be talking to the dr about this very soon.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

One diagnosis is all that it can take to ruin a man's life. In the scope of the OP's question, your point is moot.

Top Bottom