• Status
    Not open for further replies.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I just saw this on the news, and it is a huge pile of steaming WTF.

He's resigned.

The elected sheriff looked PISSED.

And I'm left shaking my head. It kinda guts any argument about armed volunteers. Or at least, opens up to the liberals the "If a police officer won't even intervene...."

ETA:
    The NBC report was that he was outside the building where shooter was, went to one of the exits while the shooter was shooting, and then covered that exit. While shots were being fired inside.

To Jim Lucas's comments on FB. It proves you shouldn't rely on someone else to protect you. Multiple ways to 'spin' it. Sad that a officer didn't do his/her job if that is the case.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Jeanne Assam would like a word with you.

Ok. I'm sure we'd have much in common.

...kind of guts any argunent... my arse!

Militaries have had deserters and we don’t hold this against them as a whole (the vast majority of us anyway).

I get that.

And, part of me can't fault the guy for thinking, "This can't be happening."

But, it is about the competing narratives. We want to say, "But a GGWG...." and now there is a prominent, easily remembered example of, "But a GGWG didn't do ****...."

Sorry people, we just need to prepare for that position.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I get that.

But, it is about the competing narratives. We want to say, "But a GGWG...." and now there is a prominent, easily remembered example of, "But a GGWG didn't do ****...."

Seems to me the better argument is don't depend on cops to come to your rescue and save you. I'd like to have the option, myself.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    To Jim Lucas's comments on FB. It proves you shouldn't rely on someone else to protect you. Multiple ways to 'spin' it. Sad that a officer didn't do his/her job if that is the case.

They set up a perimeter at Columbine....but that was a different time with different presumptions.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I get that.

Shame is often stronger than fear. What's the best motivator to run toward fire? Seeing someone else getting there first. It's a lot easier for someone, even a cop, to stand by and let horror happen. But if you see someone else, like a teacher, doing the right thing, you might be more inclined. And even if only 1 of 2 engages the murderer, that's still more than 0 of 1.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Shame is often stronger than fear. What's the best motivator to run toward fire? Seeing someone else getting there first. It's a lot easier for someone, even a cop, to stand by and let horror happen. But if you see someone else, like a teacher, doing the right thing, you might be more inclined. And even if only 1 of 2 engages the murderer, that's still more than 0 of 1.

Yeah, absolutely. That's part of why the military and police train the way they do. 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Generally, I try not to judge people, especially in situations I've never been in. I'm trying REALLY hard not to judge this guy based on the hardest 5 minutes of his life (I hope).

The guy apparently had a long, successful career.

But, I can't help but think I would've made a different decision. Might've been better; might've been worse.

mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    Thinking that social media played some type of role in this, I'm thinking bullying. I'm wondering if the high school kids would be willing to give up smart phones to save lives.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, absolutely. That's part of why the military and police train the way they do. 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Generally, I try not to judge people, especially in situations I've never been in. I'm trying REALLY hard not to judge this guy based on the hardest 5 minutes of his life (I hope).

The guy apparently had a long, successful career.

But, I can't help but think I would've made a different decision. Might've been better; might've been worse.

I have a lot of mixed emotions about the deputy. But that detail makes this story even more sad, if that is possible.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thinking that social media played some type of role in this, I'm thinking bullying. I'm wondering if the high school kids would be willing to give up smart phones to save lives.

Social media and smart phones are not to blame, ever.

Bullies are to blame if bullying is taking place.

Plenty of kids use smartphones and "social media" to raise money for charity, make friends, and make the world a better place.

Blaming social media is like blame the gun for the shooting.It's just a tool, there are people behind it using it for either good or bad.

And bullies bullied kids in school way before people had cellphones.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

They only want to give up stuff they don't use.
    If you bring up what they can do or give up, you get "That's different."

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I just saw this on the news, and it is a huge pile of steaming WTF.

He's resigned.

The elected sheriff looked PISSED.

And I'm left shaking my head. It kinda guts any argument about armed volunteers. Or at least, opens up to the liberals the "If a police officer won't even intervene...."

ETA:
    The NBC report was that he was outside the building where shooter was, went to one of the exits while the shooter was shooting, and then covered that exit. While shots were being fired inside.

At least he will still be getting his full retirement...

Not just any retirement but Florida high risk retirement, the good stuff...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom