• ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Meh.
    Kids aren't allowed to compete. Part of competition is learning how to deal with defeat and disappointment.
    Kids are taught that they have to like everybody and everybody has to like them.
    When that doesn't happen, they feel disappointed and defeated.
    They don't know how to deal with those feelings, so they lash out, have a tantrum, and shoot people. It is destructive to others and themselves. but they do not value others or themselves.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

I guess the lack of parental snooping of internet habits has been a problem since the 1800s. :):

I had to scratch my head at this one: "During a school play rehearsal, a boy accidentally loaded his revolver. An 18-year-old girl who was to use it in the play said she was afraid to handle it. The teacher said there was no need for her fear and pointed it at the girl, Pearl Reedy, squeezing the trigger. She was fatally wounded.[SUP][59]". How the heck do you ACCIDENTALLY load a revolver?[/SUP]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone who doesn’t parent exactly like I do is raising the next school shooter!

(Stop it guys. You sound ridiculous.)
    We could just keep going as we have been, that school shooters are "nobody's fault?" :dunno: That's working well, eh? It's now moved to our backyards. :xmad:

Oh wait, we know the fault. It's the gun's fault. Simple solution; take them away.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Can we please not fall into the trap of "simple solutions" to complex issues?

Parents simply monitoring children's activity online won't fix anything.

What could be a successful risk mitigation strategy, however, is for parents to actually be parents to their children. To be involved, concerned, *present* to their kids. Teach them wrong from right, not shelter them from every bad or inconvenient or uncomfortable thing, to have frank and uncomfortable discussions with them, to allow them to experience consequences and what it is to 'lose' and that losing sucks but isn't the end of the world. To teach them to be independent and independent-thinking people, not go-with-the-crowd lemmings who aren't comfortable in their own skin. To teach them to be kind and respectful to peers and elders alike, but respectfully steadfast in their beliefs.

Or, ya know, we could just limit them to 30 minutes of 'screen time' a day while we all zone out on our iDevices after a long day at the office...that'll do it!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Can we please not fall into the trap of "simple solutions" to complex issues?

Parents simply monitoring children's activity online won't fix anything.

What could be a successful risk mitigation strategy, however, is for parents to actually be parents to their children. To be involved, concerned, *present* to their kids. Teach them wrong from right, not shelter them from every bad or inconvenient or uncomfortable thing, to have frank and uncomfortable discussions with them, to allow them to experience consequences and what it is to 'lose' and that losing sucks but isn't the end of the world. To teach them to be independent and independent-thinking people, not go-with-the-crowd lemmings who aren't comfortable in their own skin. To teach them to be kind and respectful to peers and elders alike, but respectfully steadfast in their beliefs.

Or, ya know, we could just limit them to 30 minutes of 'screen time' a day while we all zone out on our iDevices after a long day at the office...that'll do it!

Of course there is more to parenting than "snooping" on your child's electronic communications. That is the minimum standard that should be the norm though.

Before the Internet, it was the TV that "raised" our children in the absence of parental interaction. That was a negative, but not near the destructive force the Internet could become if children are given free reign. Separate but similarly, how many kids are talked into suicide from online source pressure?

By all means, not all children that have been raised with unchecked electronic communications are school shooters. On the other hand, nearly all school shooters fall into that category.

Wonder what the parents of the kids involved in school shootings think about whether the shooter's electronic communications should have been monitored?

The shooter's parents, the victims parents, the victim's family? What would they say about whether parents should have been "snooping" on their kids?...

...Get rid of the guns that are actually responsible for this? :dunno:

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Of course there is more to parenting than "snooping" on your child's electronic communications. That is the minimum standard that should be the norm though.

Before the Internet, it was the TV that "raised" our children in the absence of parental interaction. That was a negative, but not near the destructive force the Internet could become if children are given free reign. Separate but similarly, how many kids are talked into suicide from online source pressure?

By all means, not all children that have been raised with unchecked electronic communications are school shooters. On the other hand, nearly all school shooters fall into that category.

Wonder what the parents of the kids involved in school shootings think about whether the shooter's electronic communications should have been monitored? The shooter's parents, the victims parents, the victim's family?

So what is your solution? Jail the parents? Censorship of the internet? Age restrictions on electronic communication? Or are you just here to say "Not my Johnny!"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So what is your solution? Jail the parents? Censorship of the internet? Age restrictions on electronic communication? Or are you just here to say "Not my Johnny!"

We are all just dropping bits and pieces.

The answer is in how we as a nation approach being parents.

Go to your childs school. Watch the alleged adults drop the little darlings off. Go into the school during an event and watch some more. If you do not get it by then it will not be gotten. This is a statement to all involved. Those of us who have raised our kids already may not see these things. I do as I am very involved with the G-kids. Man how things have changed.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    We are all just dropping bits and pieces.

The answer is in how we as a nation approach being parents.

Go to your childs school. Watch the alleged adults drop the little darlings off. Go into the school during an event and watch some more. If you do not get it by then it will not be gotten. This is a statement to all involved. Those of us who have raised our kids already may not see these things. I do as I am very involved with the G-kids. Man how things have changed.

A million times, this.

Last year, I volunteered a lot in my oldest son's kindergarten class...one day a week for three straight weeks.

The teacher was great, but I noticed more than a couple kids seemed to gravitate toward me; it was like they were surprised to see a male father figure and seemed to respond to me seeking attention in a way I remember doing with my own father.

Honestly, it was kind of sad and angering at the same time...a bunch of 5/6 year old blank slates who can be molded into anything and I knew I couldn't "save" them all...all I could do is give a little time and make darn sure my own two boys were the very best students, classmates, friends and men they could possibly become.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

To start with, the first move is to make it common knowledge that proper parenting involves monitoring of electronic communications.

Not poo pooing what literally all online professionals recommend for bringing your child up in the age of online communications would be a next step for others sir. :nono:

It's tough to break bad habits. Folks don't like to hear that maybe they have contributed to the problem rather than solving it.

Just because your kids escaped problems, doesn't mean that poor habits haven't been established for their kids and others exposed.

Pretty common to see kids riding in pickup truck beds years ago. Do you put your kids in the bed of your truck now?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Don't forget limiting time spent on those same devices. People today are addicted to their phones. Children even more so if they are allowed to.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A million times, this.

Last year, I volunteered a lot in my oldest son's kindergarten class...one day a week for three straight weeks.

The teacher was great, but I noticed more than a couple kids seemed to gravitate toward me; it was like they were surprised to see a male father figure and seemed to respond to me seeking attention in a way I remember doing with my own father.

Honestly, it was kind of sad and angering at the same time...a bunch of 5/6 year old blank slates who can be molded into anything and I knew I couldn't "save" them all...all I could do is give a little time and make darn sure my own two boys were the very best students, classmates, friends and men they could possibly become.

:yesway:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    THAT is the minimum standard to parenting?

THIS is the crux of the issue isn't it? Lack of parental interaction. Look, my wife and I have raised 2 great teens thus far. We have a close relationship and are very active with them. In EVERY aspect of their lives so far, they make solid ad smart decisions. We trust them based on their past behaviour and they are allowed freedoms because of that. They know that their continued freedoms is contingent on maintaining that trust. I see no reason to spy on them to learn what? If your ONLY clue that your kid is a likely school shooter, bully victim, or suicidal, is based on text messages or media posts, then you missed all the more obvious red flags.
    Really? What are you basing that assertion on?

Wonder what the parents of the kids involved in school shootings think about whether the shooter's electronic communications should have been monitored?

The shooter's parents, the victims parents, the victim's family? What would they say about it?...
    ...Get rid of the guns that are actually responsible for this?
    Looking for an emotional response. If my kids give me reason, I guess I will start spying on them. Just like I wouldn't want my parents reading my diary, I shouldn't be reading theirs (modern version). Unless they gave me cause.

Top Bottom