• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    IF the story is true of prior reports and notice that this little maggot (insult to good maggots) had access and people reported it, I still say arrest the parents and charge them accordingly. I’m tired of the “Bravo Sierra” excuses given by parents for not securing their weapons when there are warning signs. Example: Adam Lanza and the school killings in a Newtown, CT.

Didn't Adam Lanza kill his mother in order to get the rifle he used at Newtown?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Harmless fun? Are they good in the head?

They've got issues or they wouldn't turn to make believe world to escape into.

I dunno. I've never heard of a mass shooting at Comic-con or Gen-con.

This photo is from a Star Trek convention in 1976.

trek.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Kids unsupervised on social media and the Internet overall is what separates kids of today from kids of the past. Add to that the failing narratives that spread around that may or may not apply and you have excuses for lack of responsibility.

The "bully" narrative is one often thrown around as an "excuse" that the mentally challenged murderers and their classmates often use for them.

I'm not sure there should be such a thing as "trust" for today's younger teenagers, allowing access to unsecured firearms. I believe the days of the long gun that lives in the corner behind the door and the handgun on the high shelf are over for households with younger teenagers. :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kids unsupervised on social media and the Internet overall is what separates kids of today from kids of the past. Add to that the failing narratives that spread around that may or may not apply and you have excuses for lack of responsibility.

The "bully" narrative is one often thrown around as an "excuse" that the mentally challenged murderers and their classmates often use for them.

I'm not sure there should be such a thing as "trust" for today's younger teenagers, allowing access to unsecured firearms. I believe the days of the long gun that lives in the corner behind the door and the handgun on the high shelf are over for households with younger teenagers. :twocents:

Even if you train the kids their friends will be an issue.
    I could leave a loaded handgun on the kitchen table (not a common practice mind you) and my kids would never give it a 2nd thought but their friends not so much.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Even if you train the kids their friends will be an issue.
    I could leave a loaded handgun on the kitchen table (not a common practice mind you) and my kids would never give it a 2nd thought but their friends not so much.

Yeah, even years ago when I tested my now adult daughters (handgun on their bed,) their friends were always an issue. Nothing could be left unlocked that wasn't on my belt.

My daughters DID NOT use the Internet unsupervised. Now days, most parents wouldn't even know how to attempt to supervise their kids online.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, even years ago when I tested my now adult daughters (handgun on their bed,) their friends were always an issue. Nothing could be left unlocked that wasn't on my belt.

My daughters DID NOT use the Internet unsupervised. Now days, most parents wouldn't even know how to attempt to supervise their kids online.

Many would not know how to actually supervise the kids.....period.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

What does "supervising" the Internet/social media mean? Teach them to make smart choices in LIFE and you will not have to snoop around on them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What does "supervising" the Internet/social media mean? Teach them to make smart choices in LIFE and you will not have to snoop around on them.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you are mistaken on that sir.

All youth need their electronic communication monitored. Their communication needs to be watched. It is part of parenting.

We started going down hill as a society as unmonitored electronic communication became commonplace among our youth. Similar to the television as babysitter, in some parent's minds, the internet is much much worse. A strong indicator of this is what we now know as "the active school shooter."

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm sorry to be blunt, but you are mistaken on that sir.

All youth need their electronic communication monitored. Their communication needs to be watched. It is part of parenting.

We started going down hill as a society as unmonitored electronic communication became commonplace among our youth. Similar to the television as babysitter, in some parent's minds, the internet is much much worse. A strong indicator of this is what we now know as "the active school shooter."

I talked with my kids about the realities of life early and often, but I didn't snoop on their internet use. I hope they don't become school shooters, as this is apparently what inevitably happens. My first question to them would be to ask them why they are shooting up a school, since one is 23 and in the IT field and the other is 28 and works in the pharmacy industry.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The lack of proper parenting has always been problem. The use of TV and the Internet as babysitters has certainly exasurbated that.

Children learn from their upbringing, whether it be verbal communication or electronic.

There is no way to know what electronic comunication/learning has been had without monitoring or "snooping" as some would call it.

I guess some might call it bullying your kids to actually be a part of their communications and learning processes? The same sentiment with the kids understanding that growing into maturity is just that.

Maturity is not granted, it is earned. Maturity is not earned without monitoring. Some might call that snooping, others just call it parenting.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Kids need supervision and guidance peroid. No knock on teaching your kids to make good decisions but by your logic adults in the workplace wouldn't need managers and supervisors. People get distracted and tempted, that's a fact and truth of life. It's good to have someone there that cares enough about you to follow up and keep you accountable

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    My parents had zero clue what I did online as a teenager, I was on several BBS and then AOL and several chat sites, among others. I also play 1st player shooter games like Doom and Duke Nukem. I didn't shoot up any schools, nor did it ever cross my mind. Maybe it was because my parents taught me that there's a difference between fantasy and reality, right and wrong.

I have the ability to watch/look at everything my daughter does on her phone. I haven't had to look, I just ask and she reply's accordingly. I've had to tell her that a couple sites are not appropriate and she's not to visit them. She complies.

Top Bottom