Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This is starting to sound more and more like a deranged fantasy that he built up to.

Anyone remember the movie The Vanishing with Jeff Bridges? (Which I think was a remake of a foreign film.) It did as good a job as I can think of in a wide-release film of capturing how these evildoers build up to their evil actions. People generally don't just turn into Hannibal Lector. Rather, it is incremental.

He was probably fantasizing about shooting up an open air festival, booked Lolla, but chickened out. Booked the Chance the Rapper one, went, but didn't do anything - just fantasized about it. Then Vegas.

C'mon now. We all know the reason he didn't commit his massacre in Chicago is because of their excellent gun control laws. He really, really wanted to go through with it, but then realized they didn't recognize his AZ permit.

ETA: I see several others got here too. That's what I get for replying without reading to the end of the thread.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I figure what will come out of the swamp this time, lots of legislation that won't go anywhere but will put the leadership sponsoring it in the media spotlight, which will be the purpose of the exercise anyway. ATF might reclassify the bump fire gadgets like they did the old "street sweeper" a while back, but that steals some of the thunder from dc leadership. In the swamp this is an opportunity for big media coverage, something the swamp is addicted to like meth.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have used them. I do not like them.

I have not used them.....I see the appeal of a Sig Brace (and have one) but I never got into the "bump fire" game....You remember these from back in the 1980's?

9k=
    acf85ca.jpg

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Bump fire stocks were a novelty before this tragedy and no less so now. Let's not overstate the usefulness or the value of that junk accessory. They were never popular because of the inherent inaccuracy when firing. I sure hope you would not be relying on that crap to protect your family or use one to perform "military" duties. That's actually pretty funny.

I agree.

I also see the point of the folks here saying "no more, we've given up enough" but were I a politician I'd probably choose the bump fire accessory to focus on. In some ways, it would be a joke on the ignorance of anti-gunners.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Also agreed. Let them have bump fire stocks, I'm not falling on my sword for that.

Better yet, let them ban bumpstocks in return for de-reg of suppressors. Make them CHOOSE. Pretend that you really, really care about bumpstocks.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Back to this?

Somewhere, there is an antigun forum.

Someone says, "We should think of incrementalism and trying to get what we can from this."

Someone else says, "We have them by the balls. Not one inch of compromise. We can get ALL the gunz."

People, this idea of trading bumpstocks for suppressors - while fantastic political horse trading - will never happen.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yep, let them keep adding accessories to the NFA list.

Then they can add things like grips, stocks, and anything rail-mounted. You know, because they are JUST accessories and don't really matter.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep Pandora's Box as closed as possible. Unintended consequences and all that.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Back to this?

Somewhere, there is an antigun forum.

Someone says, "We should think of incrementalism and trying to get what we can from this."

Someone else says, "We have them by the balls. Not one inch of compromise. We can get ALL the gunz."

People, this idea of trading bumpstocks for suppressors - while fantastic political horse trading - will never happen.

agree it's not likely, but it's really better to just let whatever bill they propose go through the process? no effort at a poison pill amendment? just continue with "from my cold dead hands, no compromise!" while the bills gain co-sponsors and votes? it's worked so well for us in the past......

hell, that's how Huges got through, it got stuck on the FOPA at the last minute.... "they" got something out of a pro-gun bill.. either it would kill the bill or get new MGs banned. We won't play by those tactics? I really don't get it.

-rvb

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ask yourself this, if there was no white hot big media coverage would leadership even care.

People die from gunfire all over this country every day, in many big cities it's just accepted as part of Drugs Inc., a lucrative business.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I'll admit that I have not ready all 186 pages of this thread, but let me pivot the conversation away from guns for just a minute...

When looking at this open air concert venue through Google Maps, there appear to be several buildings nearby that pose a potential for a vertical threat. This time there was only a single shooter, maybe there were two but lets keep on track here. There could have easily been several shooters setup in opposing buildings overlooking this venue to inflict maximum carnage. Security efforts at these open air venues MUST take into consideration the potential for a vertical threat. Simply having metal detectors, concrete barricades, blocked off streets, etc. serves a simple two dimensional point of entry\exit.

If we want to discuss the failures and causes of this tragic event, one HAS to address the complete lack of vertical security at this venue. Concert planners and their security staff including the city of Las Vegas should bear some responsibility for this oversight. I fully expect this scenario to be repeated at other such areas with a concentration of soft targets.

Mike

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yep, let them keep adding accessories to the NFA list.

Then they can add things like grips, stocks, and anything rail-mounted. You know, because they are JUST accessories and don't really matter.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep Pandora's Box as closed as possible. Unintended consequences and all that.

Most accessories aren't specifically meant to get around existing laws. The bumpfire system is unique.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...People, this idea of trading bumpstocks for suppressors - while fantastic political horse trading - will never happen.

Of course not, it's just a half-hearted offer to get suppressors into the discussion. Take their focus off of the slippery slope they want to start by banning bumpstocks.

We could make the same offer trading bumpstocks for banning abortions Monday-Friday (run the numbers on that ;).) They're not gonna take that either. However why not bring OUR suppressor issue to the forefront?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    elijaharchiive
    Top Bottom