• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roughthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Huntertown
    I just bought a Remington R-15VTR and it feels a little sloppy between the upper and lower. I was told that an accu wedge is what I need. My question is where around Fort Wayne can I find one. Gander and H and H don't have them. I'm willing to drive an hour or so away to get one and check out some new toys.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Please, for the love of god, don't stick plastic/rubber crap in your lower. They may make it feel better at first (it'll function the same) but will wear it faster due to the pressure. Also, they can break apart and totally screw your trigger up.

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Yep, what he said.

The wobble is inherent to the design. If you are a better shooter than your gun, then you are shooting the wrong gun. Taking the wobble out won't help you shoot any better, however it does open the door for a whole lot of really bad things to happen.

Think of the children, don't put one in your gun!

roughthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Huntertown
    I thought that the looseness or gap would cause more problems and tightening it up would extend the life of the gun. I'm not so worried about the accuracy as much as being stealthy with it.

When you say wear out faster what kind of round count are you talking about and exactly what will need replaced? I'm a gun lover but the AR is totally uncharacteristic of me. I'm more into hunting guns(animals) and old doubles than into military type weapons. But I wanted a varmint rife and the AR's came highly recommended and with the election around the corner I decided to buy it in early January. I have to admit that I really like it. I'm looking for a second one now to jazz up for home defense.

Last edited:

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    there is a takedown pin that midway has that is tightened with an allen wrench. it twists in place and takes out the "slop"
    i think it was called JP enterprises or something. about 20 bucks

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yep, what he said.

The wobble is inherent to the design. If you are a better shooter than your gun, then you are shooting the wrong gun. Taking the wobble out won't help you shoot any better, however it does open the door for a whole lot of really bad things to happen.

Think of the children, don't put one in your gun!

Seriously, when you only have two pins holding your upper and lower receiver together, you're going to get some wobble. It's not a big deal, and really doesn't effect accuracy or firing at all.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    You can get accuwedges for $1.99 at cdnninvestments.com

I've used one in the past (had to be trimmed). They do help and you don't have to worry about it breaking apart and getting into your trigger area. The rubber that they are made of is very durable.

Carbine course instructor and ex special forces stud Paul Howe endorses the accuwedge. His point is that rattle is un-needed noise and the loose movement causes more wear.

I honestly think its personal preference.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Just my :twocents: but don't. It will eventually come loose or break apart. The problem is you can never tell when. If introducing foreign matter into the operating system of your weapon seems like the way to go then soldier on.

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    I have had a accu-wedge in my Colt AR since new in 91 and have had no issues. It looks the way it did when I installed it (other that being a little oily). Several hundered rounds have been through the gun with it in it. Being loose causes friction and friction causes wear. I would rather have a snug fit between the upper and lower. I have 2 other AR's that are getting them... Just my :twocents:!!

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    A good friend bought a Bushmaster DCM rifle that wasn't as tight as he'd preferred.

He put an AccuWedge in it in 1999.

I replaced the barrel twice on that upper (for a total of three he shot out) due to throat erosion, before he bought a new one. The AccuWedge was still in serviceable condition when it got thrown in the parts bin. It had somewhere around 12k rounds on its watch.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it falling apart on you.

Alternatively, could you bed the rear receiver tang for the same result.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    As long as the sights and the barrel remain fixed relative to each other, the lower can go to Memphis and back without affecting accuracy.

I think this is a solution to a non-problem.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just my .02 cents...
    I have carried/used several AR platform weapons with and without the accu-wedges. I did not really notice any change with or without the wedges in either accuracy, performance, or reliability. I personally would not spend the money on the wedges.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Have had one in my DPMS for about a year... Little to no change in accuracy, but as long as it doesn't shorten the life span of the rifle and you have the couple bucks to throw at it I would say give it a shot and see what you think.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have over 15,000 rounds through one of my rifles with an accu-wedge. It has gotten a little slimey from all the oil and Hoppes No9. It still works. There is no part of it that can get involved in the trigger or the action of the rifle.

It doesn't really help accuracy of the AR15, it just makes me feel better when the the upper does not move much because it is there.

Top Bottom