• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Glad your friend will be OK.

Thank you for posting this to INGO. Too many at INGO do not believe that guns discharge when triggers are not pulled. We need this type of education here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having experienced an AD (accidental discharge) it is nothing to take lightly. Will not get to wordy but it does happen and it is not always easy to explain. Machines fail, things break, mechanisms do not latch up as designed. It does happen.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Having experienced an AD (accidental discharge) it is nothing to take lightly. Will not get to wordy but it does happen and it is not always easy to explain. Machines fail, things break, mechanisms do not latch up as designed. It does happen.

Very well stated and I have the belief that the minute I start to "trust" my guns, well then, I've become to laxed. If I think it can't happen to me, I've also became to laxed. Every move made with a gun requires full attention and thought.

Unfortunately Murphy is always in the shadows.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know I bring up Steve Malloy a lot, especially when someone is hurt or dies with a gun is dropped and discharges but your gun's safety can fail. Malloy was carrying a Colt 1903 which has BOTH a grip safety and the Browning thumb safety (blocking the sear and hammer). It failed and the pistol bounced off the deck and shot him in the little gun writer.

My 870 at Shootrite (Nooo, Kirk, we've heard it all before--tough until everyone at INGO believes that guns fire without triggers being depressed we are going to hear it over and over) had the safety on as I closed it home and it went bang.

We as a gun culture as far too blase about our weapons and need to respect them more IMHO.:twocents:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Glad your friend will be OK.

Thank you for posting this to INGO. Too many at INGO do not believe that guns discharge when triggers are not pulled. We need this type of education here.

Unless I missed part of the article, I didn't see where it said that a "gun discharged without the trigger being pulled"!
    We don't know how it happened! I just hope the guy is o.k. and that everyone that hears about it can learn from his incident!

Now you know why I like guns with a safety

Did it say "his gun has no safety"?

Again....... WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, machines fail, break, etc.!
    And PEOPLE make mistakes, have accidents, etc.!

The story I read said nothing about the type of gun, whether it had a safety or not, whether the trigger was depressed ( or the gun owner, for that matter!), whether the gun BROKE, FAILED, or JUMPED OUT OF THE HOLSTER AND SHOT THE GUY!!!
    There are many ways in which a person can trip or otherwise take a fall, and somehow, his gun discharge! Maybe an accident, maybe negligence, maybe a failure with the weapon, maybe a suicide attempt, WE DON'T KNOW!!!!!

What we DO know, is that GUNS ARE DANGEROUS AND DEADLY!!!
    Take all precautions, be careful, know your weapons, follow all the safety rules, and realize that bad s**t can and does happen! Don't let it happen to YOU!:ingo:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    The report said that it is suspected the man fell and the gun misfired striking him once. If it were a Glock, would it more likely have read "the man was hit multiple times with slide shrapnel when the gun blew up when fired once"?

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The report said that it is suspected the man fell and the gun misfired striking him once. If it were a Glock, would it more likely have read "the man was hit multiple times with slide shrapnel when the gun blew up when fired once"?

Not necessarily, my kimber has multiple safeties...the glock really only has one(booger hook off the bang switch).

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Kirk... guns do not just go off!!! I have never had any gun or heard of anyones loaded gun in a safe just randomly discharging.

I dont feel the need for safetys on a gun, they are a false sense of security. I have never had a decocker fail or heard of a discharge from that. The safety is the operator..

Now droping a gun, would be a form of manipulation. Fingering the trigger another. Decocking, slamming, falling, throwing, vibrating... letting the bolt slam down on a tech nine with an inproperetc.. maybe expecially the fingering.

I have dropped my gun loaded before.. and i cried about it. The pocket gun has dropped to.the floor in its holster and in the pants more times than i can count.. when official bathroom business.. forget its in the pocket sometimes.

Bottom line is.. sure components can fail..

Top Bottom