• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I see they used a photo of Clay Edinger there.... (the guy in st joe county that was turned away from the voting place for OC.) Trying to do some association there?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I see they used a photo of Clay Edinger there.... (the guy in st joe county that was turned away from the voting place for OC.) Trying to do some association there?
    I thought that was the picture from the earlier story on him. Thank you for verifying that.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

I thought that was the picture from the earlier story on him. Thank you for verifying that.
    I thought I'd see that before!! I couldn't remember what it was from. Thanks!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OK, folks. Guns are dangerous. They go bang and hurt people. We must follow the four basic rules and maintain pure common sense. Murphy is our constant companion, and he makes amazing things happen. Got it.

No need to reinvent the wheel, re-fight the Second War for American Independence or review all the arguments and data. We understand. Message received. :bash:

Pass the coffee already . . . :coffee::)

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Maybe when people do not "accidently" shoot themselves or others or we can go to the range without being swept, we might not need to constantly review gun safety rules. Until a time when there are zero "accidents", we should keep reviewing frequently.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Old guy at my previous club range fell, had a revolver. When he hit the ground he was over the gun with finger in the trigger, he fired it double action and blew half his jaw off.

FWIW years ago I had a TC Muzzleloader, it went off after putting on the cap...........never touched the trigger. Investigation showed rough interior inlet of the lock in one spot, and a detached little piece of wood. Cleaned it up and it never malfunctioned again.

Gun was bought new and previous to that episode never taken apart. Had maybe 50-60 shots through it when it messed up.

In the dark, on a cold crisp deer hunting morning...........man that AD was loud! Big dirty spray over the snow too.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Old guy at my previous club range fell, had a revolver. When he hit the ground he was over the gun with finger in the trigger, he fired it double action and blew half his jaw off.

FWIW years ago I had a TC Muzzleloader, it went off after putting on the cap...........never touched the trigger. Investigation showed rough interior inlet of the lock in one spot, and a detached little piece of wood. Cleaned it up and it never malfunctioned again.

Gun was bought new and previous to that episode never taken apart. Had maybe 50-60 shots through it when it messed up.
    He either needs to keep his finger out of the trigger or buy a gun with a safety:D

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Kirk... guns do not just go off!!! I have never had any gun or heard of anyones loaded gun in a safe just randomly discharging.

Of course a gun just sitting on the shelf is not going to do anything.

Any time you are cambering a round in a gun, there is potential for discharge. Any time you drop a gun there is potential for discharge.

Drop the bolt of an AR-15 and notice a subtle dimple on the primer. If a firing pin jams forward, you just started firing an open bolt machine gun until the pin comes unstuck or your drop the mag.

I have had a pistol fall out of a bad holster and fire due to inertia, when it hit the ground.

Mechanical devices fail. Not often. But nonchalance about it is inexcusable when the possible consequences of failure is death.

Mental mistakes and not following the 4 rules are the majority of the negligent discharge causes, but mechanical failure occurs.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Oh man, it's worse than I thought but again, Frank is expected to recover...

MISHAWAKA -- A longtime Mishawaka business owner was listed in serious condition at an area hospital Monday after he accidentally shot himself in the eye after falling from a ladder.

Frank Demske, 78, owner of Demske's Body Shop at 1222 W. Eighth St., told police he heard someone in the attic about 11:30 a.m. Sunday, prompting him to grab his gun and investigate. At some point while climbing up the wooden attic ladder, Demske fell and the gun went off, police said.

When medics arrived, Demske said he didn't know exactly what happened. He originally thought that someone he didn't know was in the building and that he had not shot his gun, although medics noted he appeared to be somewhat incoherent when they arrived.

Those statements prompted the St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Unit to respond to the scene.

Demske later revealed that he had his gun when he was going up the ladder.

Police noted there were no signs of foul play at the scene and did not find anyone else in the building.

The bullet went through Demske's right eye and exited out his left cheek. The bullet destroyed his right eye and caused laceration to his right eyebrow and lower eyelid, according to a police report. He did not suffer any brain damage.

Demske, a South Bend resident, usually does not work on Sunday but had gone to repair a blacktop alley next to the building.

Demske was able to call his wife on his cell phone after he fell to say he needed help. Once his wife arrived, she called 911.

She told police that Demske has battled recent health problems, including bouts of dizziness that cause him to fall.

Nobody answered the phone at Demske's Body Shop on Monday. Demske or his wife could not immediately be reached for comment Monday.

Police said Demske is expected to recover.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    If he had the gun in his hand, it is very possible that he did not initially have his finger on the trigger. When he fell, his natural reaction could have been to close fist or to grip something. Would seem to be pretty risky to climb a ladder with anything in his hand, much less a firearm. How many hunters are injured/killed by climbing to their stand with their firearms/bows?

Hope he recovers as well as can be expected...

Last edited:

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I hear about stuff like this a lot, especially during hunting season.. Hunters climbing out of or into a tree stand shooting themselves.

Besides not dying.. it sounds like he's paid dearly for his mistake, I hope he makes a full recovery... sucks to hear he lost his eye, that is horrible!

Top Bottom