• Total voters

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    When I was 12-13 and just started rabbit hunting, i wasn't paying attention to the safety position and blew a nice hole in the ground about 6 inches from my foot. Great lesson.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have never had one, but I was wittness to one. My buddy just got a Tauras 7 shot revolver with a 6.5" barrel and was messing around with it inside his apartment. He was practicing quick draw from the IWB with no holster. His GF was telling him to be careful and I asked if it was loaded. He said no, the joking he bulled the gun from the front of his pants pointed it in the direction of said GF and pulled the trigger. It went off. The round struck about an inch away from the GF foot. He was lucky he is a bad shot. They ended up getting married.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have never had one, but I was wittness to one. My buddy just got a Tauras 7 shot revolver with a 6.5" barrel and was messing around with it inside his apartment. He was practicing quick draw from the IWB with no holster. His GF was telling him to be careful and I asked if it was loaded. He said no, the joking he bulled the gun from the front of his pants pointed it in the direction of said GF and pulled the trigger. It went off. The round struck about an inch away from the GF foot. He was lucky he is a bad shot. They ended up getting married.

Wow, nothing says 'I love you' like almost getting shot! :):

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    about two weeks ago I took my grandpa's old .22lr out to the range. apparently on this model if you pull the trigger with the safety on and then remove the safety it goes off.

You may ask why I pulled the trigger with the safety on. The reason is because it is a single shot bolt action and each time you open the bolt it puts the safety on. I kept forgetting to take it off between every shot.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    Yes once in the tree stand when I was 13, I was looking though the scope out in the field beside me at a buck about 300 yards away and coming towards me. For some reason I pulled the trigger on accident, ended up spooking the a buck that I was trying to get a better look at. Learned a valuable lesson that day, "Don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire."

Other than that, I have never had a gun fire on accident.

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    Got a model Win. 87 shotgun at auction. Had to ck. it out . Load feed eject and ect. When i was lower the hammer to ck. eject it went off. The 87 has a very small hammer on it it slide off my thum Bang. No harm

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Had a crappy 22 semi auto pistol. I want to say it was an Iver Johnson, but its been too long. Anyhow, on occasion it would fire off a second shot, usually so fast you couldn't tell other than the fire sounded a tad longer.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Mechanical, I have a very old Winchester Model 63 semi auto .22 my father bought this as his first rifle with his paper route money when he was 14 years old. After who knows how many rounds one day when I was in my teens I was shooting this rifle and when I squeezed the trigger it sounded like it had fired 2 rounds. I was like whoa what was that and came to find it actually fired all 11 rounds but so quickly it sounded like 2 we had the rifle repaired and I still to this day carry a spare stop in my wallet in case it ever happens again...

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Luckily not. Everyone has their moments of brainfade, but its like your horses.... the moment you trust your horse is the moment you get hurt. No such thing as an absolute fail-safe.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I had an old Savage 12 gauge pump, and a trophy 10 point in my sights. Pulled the trigger and click. Chambered another, pulled the trigger, click. Deer ran off, and upon chambering another round, discharged without pulling trigger. Nice slug hole in the dirt. It was a nice reminder to always keep muzzle in a safe direction. And a very disappointing hunt. I was so ticked off that I removed the barrel, and threw the rest in a bury hole with a barn we were tearing down.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    No. However I scared myself about a month ago though. I was at the range and was on a timeline. Got the shooting done that time allowed and packed up my gear and went home. Later I was in the basement putting stuff away\ cleaning and I pulled the upper off my AR and there was a round still chambered from the last mag that I thought I emptied. I always treat guns as loaded until I confirm they aren't multiple times. Even then I keep them pointed in a safe direction.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hmmm... it looks like I voted on this one a while ago but never posted the story (if I even voted correctly).

I've had 1 ND. While it wasn't me that fired it, I will take full responsibility. While acting as a Range Officer at a gun shoot, I removed one of the AR15's from the line for a cleaning. I pulled the charging handle to be sure it was clear, and negligently did not check the chamber. The rifle had a cartridge with a torn rim stuck in the chamber and it didn't clear. I handed the gun to the gentlemen that was going to clean it, and he went about his business. I'm not exactly sure what happened, as people were still firing so booms weren't uncommon. I just heard a boom that seemed really close and felt like I'd been peppered all over my back. I turn around to see a crater in the stones a few feet away. Luckily it was pointed at the ground because the range was very crowded and had it been pointed anywhere else, it likely would've struck somebody. I can only hope that he pointed it at the ground intentionally.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    9 years old, squirrel hunting with dad. I had pulled back the hammer on the .410 single shot to take a shot and lost the opportunity. With barrel pointed straight up my thumb slipped while lowering the hammer, Bang! Nobody hurt but the leaves in the tree above me, scared the crap out of me. Done for the day! All guns are loaded just like all electrical wires are hot!!

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Several years ago on a military range firing an M9 Beretta. Finished the table with extra rounds. Not familiar enough with the weapon at the time, so I had a brain fart and forgot it had a decocker. Tried to lower the hammer manually, pulled trigger to release hammer, and BANG! Dirt flies 5ft in front of me. The gun was pointed downrange at the time so no one got hurt.

My opinion of the 4 rules is that they are very forgiving. Generally, if you slip and miss one of them, no one will get hurt. For example, if you put your finger on the trigger, or assume its not loaded, but keep it pointed in a safe direction, no one gets hurt. In other words, you have to make several mistakes at the same time before someone gets hurt. :twocents:

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    ACCIDENT

i had it happen to me twice
    the first time i ever went deer hunting i set my Winchester 1200 20 gauge across my knees.put my finger on the trigger and BOOM.
    2nd time i was releasing the hammer on my 1911 and BOOM.went through the ceiling and blew drywall dust all over my wife's piano.thought i had it all cleaned up but guess i forgot some.needless to say SHE WAS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER..guess that's why they call it live and learn.:D

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I've had two of the opposite. One with a Barette M-9 and a 1940s Thompson. Neither of which were mine. And I feel awful about it.

Pull the trigger and nothing happens. And the weapon is jammed. Nothing works on it. Can't get the round out. Can't even open it. Can't get it apart. sifonn fiogng !!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom