• Ever had an accidental or negligent discharge

• Total voters

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    These guys are DANGEROUS! lol great stories guys. I feel kinda bad for laughing so hard. And would like to add that no one has been shot while responding to this thread. YET!...lol

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    My late husband managed to shoot our water bed back in the 70's with a 45. Luckily the water slowed it down and it embedded in the drawer underneath. I had the support board cut out and drew a bulls eye around it had it mounted and framed with the round as a Christmas gift for him. He loved it and was embarrassed by it all by the same time.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    No, but it was late at night and I was a little loopy. As we were bailing water he asked if I thought I could repair the bed. My response was....it's a shot in the dark but we can try-----groan!

zookeeperk9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    I have been lucky so far with no unexpected discharges, My Son was showing his faïence his Taurus PT140 when he discharged it unintentionally in to the bedroom wall stopping the round in the back side of the fire place.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Have had one, it was negligent, I was 16 or 17, maybe 15.

I had been hunting, it was a great day. I had Mom drop me off at the local gun club which I worked at and basically ran. It was closed that day. I headed out back to the woods to hunt. I seem to recall I was old enough to drive but my car was "down", Dad had the truck and mom needed her car that day.

No sweat, drop me here and pick me up here at this time. If I am not there leave me and I will walk home. That is how my family did things. No search until after dark or hours late arriving.

So I was in the woods on a schedule, bad idea. I hunted my ass off, had game to clean, and make my check point on time. I had stepped out of my normal routine in all ways and I am in a bit of a rush. Game is cleaned, gotta pick all my crap up and move out closer to the road. My hands are kind of full. I am not wearing my usual vest, I think I was wearing my high school letter jacket! I was getting in a fast hunt.

I had laid my gun down on the ground, so when it was time to move, I reached down with one hand to retrieve it, finger went inside trigger guard and gun slipped down a bit.

BAM! 12 gauge goes off and blows a hole in the dirt. I did not even believe it had fired. Yes a 12 gauge is loud but no way that just happened. There is a hole in the dirt near my foot. I set my stuff down. There is an empty in the chamber. There is never an empty in my chamber. I shoot, I reload. This really happened.

I had not cleared my gun, left the action open or set it away from where I was cleaning game like I normally would. I did not recheck my gun before moving again.

First and last time I went in the woods on a schedule.

Fish609

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I screwed up with BB guns a couple times when I was young. They were both negligent discharges as there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. I have a real nice scar across my left pointer finger where the doctor had to scrape the BB out of the bone ><.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    When i was 17 i had an ND with a Series 70 colt 1911a1 i had just got the following day. Stupidly this was my third real firearm i had ever owned, the first two being a 38 special and a glock 19... and now i know the 1911 is not a platform for beginners. But anyway, i was playing with it. *yes stupid i know* i was cocking and lowerthe hammer thinking it was unloaded, being i had just cleaned it from shooting it earlier... and somehow missed that a shell was in the barrel the whole time! But yeah i was cocking and lowering the hammer with my thumb and upon cocking it for the third time my thumb slipped, hammer dropped forward and BAM! A 45 slug goes into my bedroom wall at 3 in the morning, i drop the gun and can't hear $*** for perhaps 40 minutes, all the while thinking i was deaf forever or i was gonna get the police called. I remember also cursing the word F*** but couldn't hear myself say it, that is what scared me the most. But what amazed me was when i ran outside to check to see if the bullet went through the wall all the way i realized it just got lodged in the center and didn't exit. THANK GOD! Two weeks later at the Indy 1500 i promptly traded the .45 for a gun WITH a decocker, a Beretta 92FS Inox.:):

moral of the story, dont ever mess with guns in a chilidish way, no matter how "cool" they are. I learned from my mistake, and am paying for it, to this day i have a high pitch tone come and go in my left ear. Especially at night when i am trying to sleep. A sucky reminder indeed.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    ...there is no such thing as an accidental discharge.

AD's can happen & have happened. I think the accepted definition is a discharge that occurs completely due to a mechanical failure of the gun.

I've had neither, yet, & hope to never.

The closest I've come is I was checking out my dad's S&W revolver. I had opened & closed the cylinder a couple of times (it was unloaded by me just prior to this). I don't know what made me do it but on the last time I went to open the cyclinder for some reason I pulled the trigger instead. I realized at that point that things could have been tragic if I had not been following the rest of the "four rules".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    moral of the story, dont ever mess with guns in a chilidish way, no matter how "cool" they are. I learned from my mistake, and am paying for it, to this day i have a high pitch tone come and go in my left ear. Especially at night when i am trying to sleep. A sucky reminder indeed.

For those who are interested, the technical term for that "ringing" in your ears is tinnitus. It accompanies many types of hearing loss (and may be present even if hearing loss is not). Caffeine is known to exacerbate tinnitus. Visit the American Tinnitus Association at ATA.org. They offer tips to help manage tinnitus. For some folks its not bad and it has caused others to commit suicide (not commonly). Sorry for thread jacking but I am sure that we have a higher incidence of hearing loss in this group than the general population. Feel free to PM me if any of you have further questions or concerns.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    My tin foil hat protects me from the ringing!

Actually, I have a 10% loss in my left ear, or so my doc always says. I attribute this to six, only six, rounds of .357 magnums I fired at a broken dishwasher in the desert one day. My ears rang for two weeks after that. Growing up we never used hearing protection. 12 gauge, .22, and even .38 specials, never had a problem. Learned a hard lesson that day!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Another :hijack:

Whether or not "doctors" use the term, a hearing loss cannot be described as a percentage. If you are color blind, do you say that you can only see 60% of colors? Does that mean you see all of them poorly, or some very well and some not at all? Yes, health care professionals use percentages, and they do so because they are not willing to take the time to explain to a person what their impairment really means.

I see a lot of clients who never wore ear plugs, and regret it terribly. For the most part, they were not informed that they needed to.

Let the record state- there is no quantity of firearms exposure that is not hazardous to your hearing. Period. This includes 22s. CB caps may be the exception.

The tough guys who don't want to use hearing protection wont be so tough in 30 years when it finally catches up with them (and it will catch up with them). I have seen grown men well up with tears because they cannot communicate with their wives and children and grandchildren, and thus are detached from their own lifestyle.

This is the last thing I will say about hearing loss, and I bring it up because a lot of people are unaware: A hearing aid will not make your hearing normal again. I've heard the argument (against wearing ear protection) that "I will just get hearing aids." Glasses do a pretty good job of returning your vision to normal. With proper glasses, your vision returns to 20/20. The best hearing aid that could ever be developed will not make a person's hearing normal. It may help them, but its just a milder version of suffering.

Many people with hearing aids live satisfying lives and are content. Many do not. Are you willing to gamble?

Sorry for the soap box. Any more discussion, we can just start a Firearms VS. Hearing thread.

Regards,
    Josh

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I havent personally but my family goes hunting in colorado yearly and the first year my cousin went his 30-06 got caught on some brush and fired. Somehow the safety must have flipped off or he just wasnt paying attention back then. Either way it scared him as you could imagine. He definitely got an earful the whole way back to camp.

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    Yep! When I was 18y/o. Young and dumb...hopefully will always remember that one stupid moment when I was messing around with my first handgun in my car...BANG!!!!!! OOPS!!!!!

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    True story, and I'm not trying to be cute, nor am I making any excuses for my stupidity...

I've had one negligent discharge.

It was about three years ago, shooting with my sons and a buddy, his son, and his dad.

I was shooting my 1911, and "thought" I had fired off the entire magazine.

Before making the weapon safe by dropping the mag and locking the slide to the rear (which should have been my first clue something was amiss), I stepped away from the firing line, turned about half way around, and pulled the trigger.

She went BOOM, and the round pierced the ground about three feet in front of me.

I thank the good Lord every day that I was pointing that thing in a safe direction!

I wanted to throw up. I literally felt physically ill.

My buddy said, "You OK?"

Aside from being more embarrassed than I've ever been in my life, I was fine. I wanted to crawl under a rock...

Other than my friend asking about my condition, nobody seemed to notice or care that I had a brain-fart with a 1911.

But, I sure as hell noticed, and I think about it all the time. The thought of my buddy or one of those kids with a hole in them is a nightmare for me.

I was complacent, probably slightly distracted, and stupid.

I rededicated myself to firearms safety.

That's my story.

I hope we can still be friends.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom